What's new

AR sight recommend

Red Dot
Aimpoint Pro all day long. While battery dependent is has a battery life measured in years. I know folks who just leave it on and change the battery the week of their birthday annually. If most of your shooting is 100 m and in, particularly if you have some distance vision challenges, I am not sure the LPVO juice is worth the squeeze.

LPVOs are definitely where the mrkt/tech is going. The non true 1x power nature of most LPVO is a thing.

A bet your life RD optic is 450 max all day long, made in Sweden, Lifetime warranty etc.

That same 450 in a LPVO is probably on the edge for a new bet your life LPVO (and rings/mount) generally speaking and is absolutely true if you are not buying anything made in China. SWFA store brand, Vortex, Burris would be brands I would look at I suppose.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
There is no doubt about the handiness of an off set RD. All sorts of add-ons would be helpful in an "all possible scenarios" tactical weapon. But that tends to get expensive as well as cluttered. My two AR variants with their all-in-one Shepherd scopes "mission statement" includes being as sleek and uncluttered as possible, capable of performing in "most" probable scenarios, but admittedly, not all possible tactical scenarios. Gee, I might have to transition to my handgun, slower than a canted red dot for sure.

The smaller offset dots and lightweight mounts like Leupold's Deltapoint Pro or Trijicon's RMR, tuck up right next too and under an LPVO pretty tight and streamlined. :)

Transitioning to a pistol works also. Always more than one way to skin a cat. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I'll mention the expensive option... Trijicon ACOG. No batteries, bullet comp reticle, cinder block tough. If you want a canted RDS on a more traditional scope and better battery life Holosun makes a dual illumination source RDS with 50k hours of battery life, shake awake,
Holosun 507C.jpg
and Solar Failsafe...

OkieStubble

Red Dot
Aimpoint Pro all day long. While battery dependent is has a battery life measured in years. I know folks who just leave it on and change the battery the week of their birthday annually. If most of your shooting is 100 m and in, particularly if you have some distance vision challenges, I am not sure the LPVO juice is worth the squeeze.

LPVOs are definitely where the mrkt/tech is going. The non true 1x power nature of most LPVO is a thing.

A bet your life RD optic is 450 max all day long, made in Sweden, Lifetime warranty etc.

That same 450 in a LPVO is probably on the edge for a new bet your life LPVO (and rings/mount) generally speaking and is absolutely true if you are not buying anything made in China. SWFA store brand, Vortex, Burris would be brands I would look at I suppose.

Aimpoint Pro is good kit for the money. I ran an Eotech for quite a few years when my eyes were younger and then added the 3X magnifier with flip up mount when my eye acuity began to fade overtime do to age. That set up worked just fine for me all those years, with most of the stuff I was doing, or needed it to do at the time.

If there were any complaints with that set up, it would have been in the area of tactical mobility. Not because I really needed my patrol rifle to bend around corners at the time, but just because that type of mobility is simply what I like and wanted.

Probably would need it even less now. I'm retired. But that doesn't stop the itch or cure the desire of wanting a lightweight adjustable set up, for magnification, illumination and excellent tactical mobility. Because I need or might need it? Not neccessarily. Because I want it? Yeah, pretty much. :)

Is it bad to acquire and learn to use something well, that you just like and want, but in the slim chance it is ever needed, having it could be a good thing? :)

My LWRC M6IC is a 6 pound rifle. I already have a very lightweight 600 Lumen Inforce WMLX I have attached to the 11 O'Clock M-Lok postion. With it's polymer case and no mount needed design, weight for a weapon's light has been kept down to the bare minimal. And this is my goal with this rifle.

I have really slowed my roll with much patience, waiting for the Unicorn LPVO to turn up that gives me the features that I want with the lightest weight possible for a scoped rifle. Then I won't mind spending money on the best and lightest weight detachable mount that can be had in a ScalarWorks. If I get lucky enough to find "that scope" I just might be able to add my very small and lightweight Leupold Deltapoint Pro on a small offset mount and still keep the entire weight of the rifle down to at least, or maybe even better, than a red dot and magnifier.

The same weight, with more options in magnification at more range distances between up close and out there, with more options in illumination and more tactical mobility with more positions. I have always liked more if I can get it. Even if I never need it. Should be fun just messing around with it! :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I'll mention the expensive option... Trijicon ACOG. No batteries, bullet comp reticle, cinder block tough. If you want a canted RDS on a more traditional scope and better battery life Holosun makes a dual illumination source RDS with 50k hours of battery life, shake awake,View attachment 1330710 and Solar Failsafe...

Holsun is really beginning to shine with their stuff. My Deltapoint Pro is shake awake also, which is a nice option. It has quite a bit of battery life on it's own and the shake awake makes it even moreso. :)

A few years ago I tried a 3x magnifier with my Aimpoint and Eotech. It was okay if I wanted 3x or 1x but even with a flip mount for the magnifier, I never could go back and forth quick enough.

I thought I would try a RMR type offset with my Leupold Patrol vx-r 3x9, to me th I found a Burris Fastfire 3 on a black Friday sale. I never could get it mounted in the right spot, it just felt awkward found it easier to open both eyes on the Leupold at 3x for close shots, it actually worked pretty well.

OkieStubble

A few years ago I tried a 3x magnifier with my Aimpoint and Eotech. It was okay if I wanted 3x or 1x but even with a flip mount for the magnifier, I never could go back and forth quick enough.

I thought I would try a RMR type offset with my Leupold Patrol vx-r 3x9, to me th I found a Burris Fastfire 3 on a black Friday sale. I never could get it mounted in the right spot, it just felt awkward found it easier to open both eyes on the Leupold at 3x for close shots, it actually worked pretty well.

Patrol VX-R is a great scope. Most offset mounts are true 45 degree mounts which makes the transition from scope to offset not as natural and fluid as it could be.

T-Rex Arms sells an offset mount which is more between a 35-40 degree cant. This allows for a more intuitive, heads up transition back and forth.

I have thought about starting with a scope that begins in 3X power for 75 yards and out.

Leupold makes the lightest scopes available with decent glass. I wish they would come out with a updated MK 6.

I thought I would try a RMR type offset with my Leupold Patrol vx-r 3x9, to me that makes more sense than a 1-6 LPVO. I found a Burris Fastfire 3 on a black Friday sale and tried it out. I never could get it mounted in the right spot, it just felt awkward, I found it easier to open both eyes on the Leupold Firedot at 3x for close shots, it actually worked pretty well.

I thought about a Prism but there again I would be stuck with 1x, 3x, or 5x.

After that thought, I tried LVPOs and so far I'm happy.

I have a Nikon M-Tactical 1x4, very clear glass and light weight but not illuminated and discontinued. Burris RT-6 1x6, very clear glass, nice eye box, close if not true 1x, illumination is not daylight bright but close, and it's made in the Philippines. This is definitely the best LPVO that you can buy under $400.

Vortex Strike eagle 1-8. This one is okay but not as nice as the RT-6 and cost more. And it's made in China. I doubt if I would buy another one.

Vortex Viper PST gen 2. It has excellent glass, large eye box, true 1x (to my eyes), daylight bright and uncluttered reticle, and also made in the Philippines. This is a great scope, I am almost as quick on 1x doing CQB drills as I am with a Red Dot. I would highly recommend it if your budget is around $600.

If you're wanting to spend more, I would also recommend a Vortex Razor. I don't have one but I've heard they are excellent.

In the end though, it's your choice. It's hard to know what works best for you until you try them all. Kind of like razors. 😉

Patrol VX-R is a great scope. Most offset mounts are true 45 degree mounts which makes the transition from scope to offset not as natural and fluid as it could be.

T-Rex Arms sells an offset mount which is more between a 35-40 degree cant. This allows for a more intuitive, heads up transition back and forth.

I have thought about starting with a scope that begins in 3X power for 75 yards and out.

Leupold makes the lightest scopes available with decent glass. I wish they would come out with a updated MK 6.

I tried several different mounts, even one that attached to the scope itself but I couldn't make it work. Maybe I'll try it again down the road someday.

Yes, Leupold makes great scopes, I really like the ones that I have/had. The problem is, they're not updating. They keep putting out the same stuff and everyone's passing them by.

OkieStubble

Yes, Leupold makes great scopes, I really like the ones that I have/had. The problem is, they're not updating. They keep putting out the same stuff and everyone's passing them by.

This is so true. :( You're being nice... "same stuff." :)

I'll mention the expensive option... Trijicon ACOG. No batteries, bullet comp reticle, cinder block tough. If you want a canted RDS on a more traditional scope and better battery life Holosun makes a dual illumination source RDS with 50k hours of battery life, shake awake,View attachment 1330710 and Solar Failsafe...

I sport one of those on my VP9 OR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I would try a RMR type offset with my Leupold Patrol vx-r 3x9, to me that makes more sense than a 1-6 LPVO. I found a Burris Fastfire 3 on a black Friday sale and tried it out. I never could get it mounted in the right spot, it just felt awkward, I found it easier to open both eyes on the Leupold Firedot at 3x for close shots, it actually worked pretty well.

I thought about a Prism but there again I would be stuck with 1x, 3x, or 5x.

After that thought, I tried LVPOs and so far I'm happy.

I have a Nikon M-Tactical 1x4, very clear glass and light weight but not illuminated and discontinued. Burris RT-6 1x6, very clear glass, nice eye box, close if not true 1x, illumination is not daylight bright but close, and it's made in the Philippines. This is definitely the best LPVO that you can buy under $400.

Vortex Strike eagle 1-8. This one is okay but not as nice as the RT-6 and cost more. And it's made in China. I doubt if I would buy another one.

Vortex Viper PST gen 2. It has excellent glass, large eye box, true 1x (to my eyes), daylight bright and uncluttered reticle, and also made in the Philippines. This is a great scope, I am almost as quick on 1x doing CQB drills as I am with a Red Dot. I would highly recommend it if your budget is around $600.

If you're wanting to spend more, I would also recommend a Vortex Razor. I don't have one but I've heard they are excellent.

In the end though, it's your choice. It's hard to know what works best for you until you try them all. Kind of like razors. [emoji6]

Does the Razor function without its battery? My Eotech hadn’t been used for awhile and didn’t turn on until I removed and replaced the battery. The battery was fine.

I really favor large front objective optics that are light buckets, but don’t want to forgo red dots in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom