What's new

AR Pistol/SBR in .300 Black Out build.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm about to embark on my first AR build. I'll be acquiring parts over the next few months so this will be a drawn out thread. While I'm not adverse to buying things on sale, I have long since dismissed any notions of "saving money' by building my own AR. This will be as much of a top end build as I can afford to make it, not looking to cut corners just to save money. As the title suggests, I will initially build it as an AR pistol with an arm brace and intend to SBR it with a Form 1. I have gone back and forth over whether to SBR or not, but I think in the long run that will be the most likely outcome.
My stripped receiver set should be in later this week, I hope to pick it up this Saturday. Aero Precision in OD green Cerakote
To this I will be adding a 9 in. Atlas S One M-Lok handguard, too bad it's not available in OD
I have on back order at Brownells a Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger and an SBA3 OD green pistol brace. So even if finances don't slow me down (they will), part availability may.
Other major components planned:

..and many other pieces parts.
I welcome your comments and suggestions. A big thanks to @OkieStubble for letting me pick his brain!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In preparation for the build I purchased a new bench vise that not only rotates 360 degrees on the base, but the jaws of the vice also can rotate 360 degrees. Probably a bit overkill, but it should serve the purpose well. I've ordered the roll pin punches that I'll need and a couple other items. I already have a barrel wrench but need to get the torque wrench to go with it. I also need a castle nut wrench, thought I had one, but apparently not. I have the plastic clamshell receiver vise block thingy. I also bought a set of .300 Black Out Clymer GO/NO GO gauges, may not need them but wanted to have them on hand just in case.
I also purchased and watched this DVD:

I'm sure I could have got all the info for free on YouTube, but it was cheap and well organized, saved me a lot of time in the long run. Somewhat dated, but I feel I got what I paid for.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
In preparation for the build I purchased a new bench vise that not only rotates 360 degrees on the base, but the jaws of the vice also can rotate 360 degrees. Probably a bit overkill, but it should serve the purpose well. I've ordered the roll pin punches that I'll need and a couple other items. I already have a barrel wrench but need to get the torque wrench to go with it. I also need a castle nut wrench, thought I had one, but apparently not. I have the plastic clamshell receiver vise block thingy. I also bought a set of .300 Black Out Clymer GO/NO GO gauges, may not need them but wanted to have them on hand just in case.
I also purchased and watched this DVD:

I'm sure I could have got all the info for free on YouTube, but it was cheap and well organized, saved me a lot of time in the long run. Somewhat dated, but I feel I got what I paid for.

Sure would like to see some pics of that cool vise you’re talking about. Some pics as you piece it together would be pretty awesome too. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A7624654-9ED9-427C-89F1-2E120B0E7ED8.jpeg
DC1672C7-981B-4890-ACA8-88DC0D06AC25.jpeg
New vice in my cluttered man cave. Just C-clamped for now, will probably mount it to a board so it can be moved about.
Bigger than it needs to be, a bit overkill. But overkill seldom fails.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
04C0751E-1B37-44C1-92F6-9873EDD3404D.jpeg
0255A801-C81F-49A5-AC6E-D93127129481.jpeg
Another use, "Sight Vice" held by bench vice for firearms maintenece or cleaning. Gammo air rifle for illustrative purposes only!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Since I've been researching parts for my build I've come across a few items that I had never considered before. A captured spring and buffer unit that eliminates the "twang" a standard buffer spring makes and smooths out the cycling.

About half the price of a similar JP Enterprise unit. Anyone have any experience with these?

And instead of the typical selector switch safety, how about a conversion to a cross bolt safety?
The Elftmann Tactical AR-15 Ambidextrous Speed Safety or Elf-***. The software censured the URL, but it is also from Wings Tactical, check it out.
Any opinions on this? Seems pretty cool to me, but it works backwards to what most cross bolt safeties do, push in with the right thumb for "FIRE" and back with the right trigger finger for "SAFE".

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have never had problems with "walking" trigger or hammer pins with my other ARs, perhaps that is only a problem with full auto fire? I also question the weight savings of titanium pins and detents, etc. Seems that they make up such a small portion of the weapons overall weight, the only thing they significantly lighten is your wallet. What say you?

I also question the weight savings of titanium pins and detents, etc. Seems that they make up such a small portion of the weapons overall weight, the only thing they significantly lighten is your wallet. What say you?
Some lures are for catching fish, some for catching fishermen.

If you'd like to save a buck I like these as much as the several Geissele triggers I've already got. One will be in my next couple builds.

If you're set on the Geissele rather than backordering through Brownell's, unless you got a sale price, I'd get on Geissele's mail list, they do sales all the time, the SSA-E is usually around $185 on sale.

If you found a better deal, take it!

1/4 inch clevis pin is my favorite method of not shooting the front takedown pin detent spring/plunger across the room or into my eye.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Rather than the plastic clamshell I'm using one of these.

It's a clone of the Geissele for half the price. Works really slick.

I have something of a tool gathering problem.
1/4 inch clevis pin is my favorite method of not shooting the front takedown pin detent spring/plunger across the room or into my eye.

I'll probably just use the "clam shell" since I have it on hand and paid for. I will get the KZ device if the clam shell proves unsatisfactory.
I wish I had seen the clevis pin trick before I had ordered a device that achieves the same thing, but it was cheap.

If this is the only one you're going to build that makes perfect sense.

There's no way I can stop at this point.

I have a 357 max barrel, a 450 Bushmaster barrel and would like to do a Grendel and thanks to Rob maybe a 6.8 now as well.

It's only money...

I really enjoy being able to DIY instead of paying somebody to do it for me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I will definitely do a 6.5 Grendel upper and I need to re-barrel an existing AR in .223. So I'll probably get the KZ tool eventually.

Top Bottom