What's new

AR Pistol/SBR in .300 Black Out build.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well drat! The receiver set arrived at my LGS yesterday, but because of work and other commitments and the stores limited hours, I'll have to wait till the middle of the week to go pick it up. Cue Carly Simon....

Which reminds me I've got a couple of Area 51 commemorative lowers from Palmetto sitting at my FFL I need to go pick up.

I've built several on Aero lowers, they are definitely a premium product. I particularly like the tension screw for taking up any slop between the upper and lower.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Picked up my Aero Precision stripped upper and lower receiver set today. Snaps together tightly without any take down or pivot pins, very nice. Pics to follow.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
C12268E7-6E95-41A4-84A9-553CC8EC99AB.jpeg

Stripped OD Receiver Set with trigger guard installed.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
DECDFF28-8665-4E25-9704-298249259333.jpeg

Holding suspended by tight fitting upper, "Look Ma, no pins". It maybe just the Cerakote giving the tight fitting, will probably loosen up with use.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
934AFFD9-7050-4DD3-8CB4-2B6012E15BED.jpeg
76BB5061-B998-45B1-90FE-3FB4474B4FB8.jpeg

Close up of Aero Precision trigger guard, attaches with screws, no roll pins or detents. "Bowed" profile of the trigger guard should allow for plenty of clearance for lightly gloved fingers, no need to be able to pop open for "winter operations", doesn't get that cold around here anyways.

Last edited:
on the safety, I'd default to standard due to primacy on my part. AR styled selector also gives me better positive knowledge of the status of the safety. right thumb always rides/touches the selector, so I know where it is. throw an ambi AR in and you can carry both ways, which has it's place. 1/4 throw safeties still bother me, again, due to primacy.

I never did much like cross bolt safeties. I've been lucky enough to ride a knuckle on most to select the fire selection. running a backwards version feels like it'd be pretty unergonomic for a righty unless you can reach it with the right thumb without much/any grip change. maybe workable for a lefty.

Ti, and other gucci parts? they can look blingtastic, and be as or potentially more functional, but not my bag. as mentioned with the fishing lures.

Edit: just checked mine. I have big mits, but I can get my thumb, and a trigger finger knuckle onto the selector pivot hole easily enough to run a cross bolt safety. but I wouldn't.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm going to minimize the blingtastic, if possible. I will forego the Ti parts entirely. I'm intrigued with the cross bolt safety, I may try it. If it doesn't work, I can always revert to the original design.

Without looking at it, I wonder if anything in the trigger group needs to change to accommodate it. It’d be bad design on their part if so.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Without looking at it, I wonder if anything in the trigger group needs to change to accommodate it. It’d be bad design on their part if so.
Nope, a simple substitution of parts, safety only, trigger group is unchanged. Check it out on Wing Tactical, I couldn't provide the link because the software edits the URL address as it contains the word "AZZ" but spelled with "ss".

I have one rifle built as a stationary type varmint rifle that has a 60° safety. All my serious rifles have standard controls because I don't want to get used to MY stuff then have to pick one up somewhere and use it and potentially reach for things that aren't there. Probably paranoid now that I'm retired from the reserves and no longer subject to being deployed.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My Robinson Arms XCR has a short throw safety and I don't particularly care for it. But it's no big deal either way. I'm no longer subject to deployment either. Plus I like to be familiar with different weapon systems, hence I own an AK variant. Unfortunately I can't afford to own one of everything!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I have a bunch of pieces parts sitting in my cart awaiting approval of my veterans discount.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a YHM Phantom suppressor, heavy as a brick. I will eventually get an AAC or Gemtech in Ti eventually.

Top Bottom