What's new

AR-15 Pistol Build...Maybe.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just by glancing on their website, Aero seems to be more expensive than PSA. If I get near the $1000 mark, then I have a couple of complete pistols that I'd consider getting instead of building one.

My decision to buy Aero Precision over PSA is based on two things it particular.
First and foremost, White Oak Armaments, who caters to serious High Power rifle competitors, uses and endorses AP.
Secondly, they (AP) offer their receiver sets in various Cerakote finishes that I like, particularly OD green.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Of course you can and most probably do. If a stock off the shelf item meets all of your requirements, there is no reason to undergo building an equivalent item, even if you save money, is it worth the hassle? In my particular case,
1) I want the experience of building an AR.
2) I get to choose the features and components in a combination that may not be available in a stock item.

I absolutely agree with this logic. :)

I can buy cheap complete. Time and labor is also money. While builds still don’t have to be expensive, the great benefit of building is customizing it exactly as you want just as you said. And though customization doesn’t have to be expensive, customizing particular rifle components does cost money.

It’s a law. Like gravity. :)

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I still have my PSA pistol. Shoots well. However; I am working on a new build. I am thinking about using these components.
1. Aero Precision Cerakote stripped lower (OD Green)
2. BCM Kino Configuration Upper. A 12.5" barrel with a non functioning F block front sight at the mid length, and a carbine length low profile gas block. Let's you use mid length drop-in hand guards.

3. Tailhook brace; OD green.
4. Magpul grip and hand guard; OD Green
5. Brownells lower parts kit which comes with Geissele single stage "rapid fire" trigger.
6. Carry handle rear sights.

Last edited:
I also built a 300 Blackout pistol with a 10.5" Odin works barrel and adjustable low profile gas block, tail hook brace, inexpensive ALG ACT trigger, Holosun red dot, forgot what hand guard I used, free-floated. I put a Midwest Industries muzzle brake on it; extremely happy with that rig.

I really like a 10.5" barrel for 300 Black. For 5.56, I think an 11 or 12" barrel is better. 10.5 is too short (after looking at ballistic data and further research); or at least right at the limit.

I would like to eventually SBR all of my AR pistols. Even so, still a lot of fun with the pistol brace configuration.

Looks like I never posted a pic of my 300 Black pistol. Here it is:
IMG_0103.JPG

Top Bottom