What's new

AR 15 California Law

Hey folks,

I've searched everywhere, and I apologise if this has come up a lot, but I have a question.

For AR 15 owners in California who do not want to register the weapon as an assault rifle, and who do not want to make the weapon featureless, are the various "mag lock" devices sufficient to be in compliance with the law?

Products such as what is found https://crossarmory.com/product-category/gun-types/ar15-m4/ look great but I don't know what the laws are.

Some say these products are compliant. Some argue they are not. I defer to those of you with more knowledge in this matter.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

A Google search under "assault weapon laws in California" will give you a very extensive list. Here's one that starts to go into the complex issue:

How California Gun Owners Are Getting Around a New Assault Weapons Ban

This is a very touchy subject, and, unfortunately, it'll require that you do a lot of the work yourself. Most of the members here on B&B would be pretty reluctant to provide you with what almost seems like "legal" advice on the matter.

Good luck, and I mean that. Sunny California and it's gun laws.....:001_huh:

Don

I'm afraid that with the multitude of anti-gun laws in that state that penalizes citizens who want to own an AR15, it will be a yo yo affair to own one. What I mean, is that with the current laws and I'm betting more to come, it will be very difficult, although not impossible to have an AR15 and always be compliant to current law as it changes so often at the whim of state officials.

I would suggest that you join a gun club or at the least some type of organization such as the NRA or sum such that will help you stay compliant with you states gun laws, or as in Kalifornias case, anti-gun laws!

Good luck with all that! In saying all that, I moved from Kalifornia to Texas.

Mike

A Google search under "assault weapon laws in California" will give you a very extensive list. Here's one that starts to go into the complex issue:

How California Gun Owners Are Getting Around a New Assault Weapons Ban

This is a very touchy subject, and, unfortunately, it'll require that you do a lot of the work yourself. Most of the members here on B&B would be pretty reluctant to provide you with what almost seems like "legal" advice on the matter.

Good luck, and I mean that. Sunny California and it's gun laws.....:001_huh:

Don
That's a helpful article. It sounds like there is a waiting game going on.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

California and most of what goes on there is truly set in the theater of the absurd. Nice scenery and interesting things to see but there are plenty of other places just as attractive, without the ridiculous laws.
If I owned an AR platform rifle and lived in such a bizarre state as California, I’d sell it quicksmart and buy a Ruger Mini 14/30. End of problem.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
All AR-15 California compliant rifles, must have a "Bullet Button."

A bullet button is a device used to remove a magazine in a semiautomatic rifle, replacing the magazine release with a block which forces the user to remove the magazine by using a tool as opposed to their finger. This allows the rifle to comply with parts of California's firearms laws.

You're better off with a Lever-Action or Bolt.

Old enough to recall when California adopted a registry on "assault rifles" in the 80s. By the mid 90s it was abandoned because of non-compliance. The actual number registered was something under 5% which caused somewhat of a freakout in the State Assembly for a few years. Will be curious how this one plays out.

All AR-15 California compliant rifles, must have a "Bullet Button."

A bullet button is a device used to remove a magazine in a semiautomatic rifle, replacing the magazine release with a block which forces the user to remove the magazine by using a tool as opposed to their finger. This allows the rifle to comply with parts of California's firearms laws.

You're better off with a Lever-Action or Bolt.
Glad I am in Colorado and not California, but sadly, we are heading that way as well.
But anyway... I thought that the Bullet Button was now verboten and replaced by the requirement that one had to swing the upper open and replace ammo from the top. i.e. no longer allowing interchangeable magazines.

Agree with others, Join one of the State firearms owners groups, they will be up on the latest information.

Back to Colorado.... our sadistic version of the 'Red Flag" law is quickly passing thru our state houses, and I am sure will be signed by the new Democrat governor.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Glad I am in Colorado and not California, but sadly, we are heading that way as well.
But anyway... I thought that the Bullet Button was now verboten and replaced by the requirement that one had to swing the upper open and replace ammo from the top. i.e. no longer allowing interchangeable magazines.

Agree with others, Join one of the State firearms owners groups, they will be up on the latest information.

Back to Colorado.... our sadistic version of the 'Red Flag" law is quickly passing thru our state houses, and I am sure will be signed by the new Democrat governor.

Yeah, I dunno. But that would suck also.

+1 on mini 14

California is a beautiful place full of wonderful people. Unfortunately the government there is out of control.

If I lived in CA today I wouldn’t go for AR platform. Too limited and who knows what will be legal tomorrow.

Thank God I live in Texas.

+1 on mini 14

California is a beautiful place full of wonderful people. Unfortunately the government there is out of control.

If I lived in CA today I wouldn’t go for AR platform. Too limited and who knows what will be legal tomorrow.

Thank God I live in Texas.

And the likelihood of you going out and shooting up a McD's with it is still at zero because... law-abiding.

Which is whom gun laws affect 100% rather than the fractional percentage of those that commit crimes.

Top Bottom