What's new

Aquarium enthusiasts

I have kept at least one aquarium in service for over 60 years. I got a Metaframe stainless steel, glass, and slate bottom aquarium for my 10th birthday and have never been without at least one aquarium since. I kept freshwater tanks the entire time. For nearly 15 years, I also kept saltwater aquariums. My largest, a 125 gallon tank, was a FOWLER (fish only with live rock) tank with some pretty aggressive marine species like a 30" long snowflake eel, a trigger fish, a queen angelfish, and a variety of others. However, I kept smaller tanks with corals, anemones, clams and fish more suitable to the tank size. I let the marine aquariums fade away as maintenance was far too time consuming and the electrical cost to power pumps, filters, and lighting comprised nearly half of my monthly electric bill.

I still have three tanks in service. My main tank is a 55 gallon tank in the family room. It has mostly platys and tetras. In the basement I have a 40 gallon tank with tetras, barbs and Cory catfish. I also have a 29 gallon tank whose sole resident is a common plectomus that is around 15 years old. He shows no sign of dying anytime soon. He is about 15 inches long. He really needs to be in a larger tank, but he is too big to be kept with smaller fish.

I also post on a popular aquarium forum using the same forum handle I use here, but I will not mention the name. I have learned a lot about fishkeeping over the past 6 decades, so I share what I have learned with less experienced hobbyists. I often learn new things from those whose experiences differ from mine, just as I do with this forum.

Perhaps this isn't meant for the Speakeasy?

I had an aquarium for a while in High School, but got bored of it. I'm considering one for my youngest, but not sure on what that will look like yet. It's one of those hobbies where the bigger things are, the easier it is to care for. But I don't want to invest in the space/money for something large if she's just gonna look at the fish for a week then move on to something else.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Perhaps this isn't meant for the Speakeasy?

I had an aquarium for a while in High School, but got bored of it. I'm considering one for my youngest, but not sure on what that will look like yet. It's one of those hobbies where the bigger things are, the easier it is to care for. But I don't want to invest in the space/money for something large if she's just gonna look at the fish for a week then move on to something else.
Yeah I know, I was not sure where to post it . So I just stuck here I figured that it kinda fit the description of the thread. If a mod wants to chime in and tell me it fits better or if they want to move it that would be great 👍

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have kept at least one aquarium in service for over 60 years. I got a Metaframe stainless steel, glass, and slate bottom aquarium for my 10th birthday and have never been without at least one aquarium since. I kept freshwater tanks the entire time. For nearly 15 years, I also kept saltwater aquariums. My largest, a 125 gallon tank, was a FOWLER (fish only with live rock) tank with some pretty aggressive marine species like a 30" long snowflake eel, a trigger fish, a queen angelfish, and a variety of others. However, I kept smaller tanks with corals, anemones, clams and fish more suitable to the tank size. I let the marine aquariums fade away as maintenance was far too time consuming and the electrical cost to power pumps, filters, and lighting comprised nearly half of my monthly electric bill.

I still have three tanks in service. My main tank is a 55 gallon tank in the family room. It has mostly platys and tetras. In the basement I have a 40 gallon tank with tetras, barbs and Cory catfish. I also have a 29 gallon tank whose sole resident is a common plectomus that is around 15 years old. He shows no sign of dying anytime soon. He is about 15 inches long. He really needs to be in a larger tank, but he is too big to be kept with smaller fish.

I also post on a popular aquarium forum using the same forum handle I use here, but I will not mention the name. I have learned a lot about fishkeeping over the past 6 decades, so I share what I have learned with less experienced hobbyists. I often learn new things from those whose experiences differ from mine, just as I do with this forum.

Good morning my friend I'm glad you found this missed placed thread and replied 😃
I too have had a tank or 2or 3 for 40 plus years, but took a hiatus for 10 years or so. And recently got the big again. I started with the fresh water for a number of years but as you said I also wasn't ready for the commitment to all the work that it takes,not to mention the $$$ and mess.
I made contact with a old friend who still has a few fresh water set ups and he rekindle the interest and recommend a few YouTube channels for me to watch. With the fresh water I always had thing for live plants and I think they call aquascaping now . With the lighting being much better now with the led lights I figured that I would give it a go.
I have 75gal glass bow front that I gave to a relative that he never set up that said to come and get it 👍
So tomorrow I'm going to pick it up.
and give it a go. Have you any experience with the live plant set up?

My 11-year old son is very into fish and aquariums, so I am as well! We have three tanks in our house—the largest is a 75 gallon tank with cichlids. We also have tetras, gouramis, corydoras, plecos, sea snails, and loaches. One of our cichlids recently gave birth so one of our tanks is a cichlid nursery right now.

Aquariums are a great pastime for kids of all ages. I got my start for real and never got bored, although my interest has had ups and downs over the years based on competing activities.

The hobby can be used to develop many different skills. Testing water quality provides an opportunity to learn chemistry. Keeping the water clean involves filtration, absorption and adsorption. There are many micro-organisms involved in the process. Aquariums can contain a variety of life: fish, plants, snails, etc. so there are plenty of biology lessons to be learned. If you are able to breed your fish, there are opportunities to discusss "the facts of life", especially if you have guppies, platies or other livebearers. If you keep live plants, you can learn about the importance of proper lighting and fertilization and how carbon dioxide plays a role in plant life.

Sometimes fish get sick and die. That can teach about the role of diagnosing symptoms and treating disease. For a child, losing a favorite fish can be a traumatic experience, but it can help prepare them for the greater loss of friends, relatives, or other pets. Unfortunately, death is a part of life.

Then there is the artistic aspect of decorating an aquarium.

Don't forget that children need to be taught responsibility. Having to feed the fish or clean the aquarium teaches valuable skills needed to tackle adult responsibilities.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yeah I know, I was not sure where to post it . So I just stuck here I figured that it kinda fit the description of the thread. If a mod wants to chime in and tell me it fits better or if they want to move it that would be great 👍

The Barber Shop is the forum for general chat not related to shaving. About the closest thing to aquariums we chat about in here would be drinking like a fish.

I got in the aquariums many years ago. I had fresh and saltwater tanks. I enjoyed it a lot but after about 8 years I just didn't have the time to keep up the proper maintenance as there is a lot of maintenance that has to be done with huge tanks. I posted my tank for sale at a Petstore and someone who looked after a person that was bedridden bought it. A pet store employee and I took it apart and reset it up in the bedridden person's room so he could watch the fish and sea creatures. I was very happy it went to good use but was sad because of the price I got. Selling a full setup is going to cost you way more than you got into it.

I went back a few times to check on the tank and was thanked again and again. I finally moved from the area but I had a feeling the person passed not long after the last time I saw him.

I used to have a 40 gallon saltwater aquarium, but life got busy and I didn't have enough time to properly maintain it. Water levels for various additives are really important for corals. I really loved it, as the colors were absolutely amazing. I had a blue clam that was incredible as well has trumpets, torch, montipora, etc. Now that my kids are grown, I want the freedom to leave the house for a few days without worrying about things at home, though I think about getting another one again. Probably will never happen. If I did, I would get at least a 90 gallon tank, since the bigger tanks are easier. You can get a spike in bad bacteria or other elements a lot easier in a smaller tank than in a larger tank. Plus I would love to keep some of the nicer fish, like some of the larger wrasses, triggers, or angels. Now you have me thinking about it again, but it is still unlikely.

Just found this thread. I love aquariums and had several when I was growing up. Never got into them as an adult until we had kids and they started asking for a tank. Got them a 20g and it completely reignited my passion; we have 3 of them now.

Our biggest is a 75g in our living room that is a high-tech (CO2) planted tank. It's stocked with various tetra, corys, kuhlis, upside down catfish, and a bristlenose pleco.

Our first was a 20g we have in the dining room that is our girls tank; we call it the princess tank and its stocked with GloFish Tetra and a female beta.

The last is a 20g long tank setup in my home office next to my desk. It's a low-tech planted tank with cherry shrimp and blue ramshorn snails.

Never got into saltwater. Beautiful fish but high maintenance.

Last aquarium was some time ago. Nice setup with 29 gallon tank, internal and external filtration, and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. Kept African Cichlids and Kuhili loaches (which were rarely seen). Two of every three new fish died in fights. Tough crowd.

Broke my heart to tear the setup down before moving away. Haven't had an aquarium since.

Never got into saltwater. Beautiful fish but high maintenance.

Last aquarium was some time ago. Nice setup with 29 gallon tank, internal and external filtration, and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. Kept African Cichlids and Kuhili loaches (which were rarely seen). Two of every three new fish died in fights. Tough crowd.

Broke my heart to tear the setup down before moving away. Haven't had an aquarium since.

Yeah, I love looking at saltwater tanks like you said they're high maintenance; they're also really expensive, and your margins of error are much smaller.

I love Kuhlis! They do hide out more but I've found them out and about more since my tank has grown in. The best description I've seen for them is they're the ferrets of the aquarium world; seemed pretty accurate to me ha.

Cichlids definitely aren't a community tank friendly option but many of them are beautiful and interesting.

You should start up another!

Reactions: ctr
I was into it for a few years and had a really nice planted tank. When I started working away in the week, I got everything fully automated (except for the water changes). It was a pretty cool set up. There were a few fish and shrimp but the plants and hardscaping were the stars.

After a couple of house moves I stopped having a tank. It took longer to move the tank than the rest of the house. I’ll do it again. The next one will be big, built into a wall and have dedicated plumbing.

Last edited:
I got into reef aquarium/saltwater last November, which has been challenging. Very expensive, and a lot of patience is needed. I have been following BRS, and their 5-minute guide. On my first attempt at fish, they all got ick, and they all died. I waited a long time to get more and made sure I quarantined them this time and had no issues. Hard lesson to learn. For corals, I run LPS, and have lost a few, but not too many.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1663867263517.png

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have had a couple aquariums over the years. My fish would grow huge super fast and then die. Gave up.

My youngest daughter (29) just got into this. My oldest brother was into it when I was a kid. I've never been bitten by the bug. I had a neighbor who had saltwater tanks and they were really impressive

I have had a couple aquariums over the years. My fish would grow huge super fast and then die. Gave up.
My story exactly!
Love them but they never worked out for me. Between the fish dying and the work involved, I too gave up.
But I'm sure some day I'll give it another shot. I was young when I had them. Maybe being older helps somehow, Lol!

just saw this topic....

I have three aquariums at this time.. My main one is a community tank, a 5ft Jewel is 500L (132 gallons). Its high tech with CO2, LED lighting and I add self made fertilisers which keeps the plants looking amazing.

My other is in my study right next to my desk. Just a 90L (24 gallon tank) but the father in law (who was a spray painter) sprayed the back and sides of that tank with a sparkly 2pac paint that was baked in the over, has all the colours and looks killer, again CO2 and ferts and LED.

My other tank is around the same size and am in the process of cycling. Soon the fish out of that one will go and will be replaced by blue and yellow shrimp and I will start breeding those..

lots of work but beautiful to look at

Top Bottom