What's new

Aqua Velva & Proraso

I have been a longtime Aqua Velva user and have nothing but good things to say about the brand as long as it remains unchanged. I have always wanted to try witch hazel, however, and use Proraso cream. After seeing the Proraso after shave ingredients, I am wondering if it’s worth trying. $15 for the bottle seems foolish. Is it worth it? Is there a less expensive alternative?

If you think $15 bottle is ridiculous for aftershave you haven't shopped much.

Wether it's worth it is up to you and what you want from an aftershave. I like the smell of the red and green and the performance is good.

I have bottles from Captain's choice, fine, Stirling and others too, and I like the smell and performance of those too.

If you are in it to be frugal, cheap aftershave works. If you want boutique scents and quality ingredients, aftershave is going to be more expensive than the drugstore classics

A 400ml bottle of Green will get you through the hot season and is way more cooling than AV (at least the version sold in Europe).

D7FE6EB4-4CBE-4B7D-9677-2E39307492EB.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used and very much enjoyed Proraso in the 400ml bottle - great value. I was about to buy another when I tried vintage Mennen Skin Bracer and found it was very similar and yet somehow a million times better. I loved it so much that I will never purchase Proraso AS again. I do like the Proraso pre shave but only used as a post shave.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used and very much enjoyed Proraso in the 400ml bottle - great value. I was about to buy another when I tried vintage Mennen Skin Bracer and found it was very similar and yet somehow a million times better. I loved it so much that I will never purchase Proraso AS again. I do like the Proraso pre shave but only used as a post shave.
Ancient Skin Bracer really is something special. Becoming increasingly difficult to find, however. I'm hearing that it's all been bought up by a Welshman.

I think there is terrific value in the entire Proraso product line. Soaps, creams, aftershave "milks" and splashes... great quality at reasonable prices.

EclipseRedRing

Ancient Skin Bracer really is something special. Becoming increasingly difficult to find, however. I'm hearing that it's all been bought up by a Welshman.

I think there is terrific value in the entire Proraso product line. Soaps, creams, aftershave "milks" and splashes... great quality at reasonable prices.
A Welshman! Don't say it too loudly around here but, just between you and I, I am, and I hesitate to say this......... English, well, Cornish actually 😁

If you like Aqua Velva, I think it is a safe guess that you will like Proraso. I am a big fan of both. If you are frugal like me, the 400 ml bottle is a great way to get more ounces of green goodness per $.

If you think $15 bottle is ridiculous for aftershave you haven't shopped much.

Wether it's worth it is up to you and what you want from an aftershave. I like the smell of the red and green and the performance is good.

I have bottles from Captain's choice, fine, Stirling and others too, and I like the smell and performance of those too.

If you are in it to be frugal, cheap aftershave works. If you want boutique scents and quality ingredients, aftershave is going to be more expensive than the drugstore classics
Given that I am happily satisfied with a product that costs $5, replacing it with a competitive product that costs 3x as much does seem ridiculous. Now, I might be willing to be ridiculous for one purchase if I discover that the more expensive product is either superior or sufficiently different to warrant trying, but spending $15 for something I can get for $5 is ridiculous.

What made Mennen Skin Bracer so good? The way it treated the skin or the scent? Does it fade like AV to allow for cologne?

I’m glad to learn that Proraso comes in 400 ml size. This might prove more economical.

EclipseRedRing

What made Mennen Skin Bracer so good? The way it treated the skin or the scent? Does it fade like AV to allow for cologne?

I’m glad to learn that Proraso comes in 400 ml size. This might prove more economical.
To my nose vintage Mennen Skin Bracer is like a cologne version of Proraso, with notes of anise and lavender, reminiscent of Fabergé Brut, another of my favourite scents. That's it! Proraso + Brut = Skin Bracer 👍 I much prefer the Mennen scent to Proraso, but I love strong scents. For me it is also longer lasting than Proraso and could interfere with a cologne if it does not complement it. The skin care properties of Skin Bracer are modest in my opinion.

Given that I am happily satisfied with a product that costs $5, replacing it with a competitive product that costs 3x as much does seem ridiculous. Now, I might be willing to be ridiculous for one purchase if I discover that the more expensive product is either superior or sufficiently different to warrant trying, but spending $15 for something I can get for $5 is ridiculous.
I mean this in the most respectable way possible, but it seems like your mind is made up. Everyone has different preferences and if Aqua Velva makes you happy I suggest you don't change it. Aqua Velva is a classic for a reason, just like proraso

Price and scent aside, can others speak to Proraso’s skin care properties? I’m curious enough that I would probably buy it anyways, but I would like to know how effective it is as an aftershave.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I quite do not understand these ridiculously high prices for Proraso in the north American market. Here it's dirt cheap (and available everywhere). Average prices of Proraso products in Italy are shown below:

- Aftershave splash/balm 100ml : € 4,90
- Shaving cream/soap : € 2,20
- Preshave cream : € 3,90

I quite do not understand these ridiculously high prices for Proraso in the north American market. Here it's dirt cheap (and available everywhere). Average prices of Proraso products in Italy are shown below:

- Aftershave splash/balm 100ml : € 4,90
- Shaving cream/soap : € 2,20
- Preshave cream : € 3,90
And then there is Vitos AS 1,000ml for 9something. I’m always amazed in regards to variety and pricing of Italian shaving goods.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just an hour ago I enjoyed an "Evergreen" Proraso shave using both the green cream and the splash. That distinctive Proraso eucalyptus mint is an outstanding masculine scent. Two sprays of Aqua di Parma Colonia Club complement the Proraso quite nicely.

Top Bottom