What's new

Aqua Velva + Proraso ASB?

Gents,
Two days ago I was browsing my local drugstore and tried some AV Classic on my hand. I thought, "I can't do this, smells kind of funny", so I didn't buy it. However, as the day went along the AV smell became more and more appealing (might I be a convert?).
Then I read the AV threads here (I love the fact that it's been around since the '30s)...In few words, I'll pick up a bottle and give it a try.
I'm curious to know how many here use AV paired with Proraso ASB (which I like), and how the combination works.
Aqua Velva will be my first alcohol based AS.

Both are excellent products that work very well on their own or combined. Most likely, your skin will agree.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The Blue Aqua Velva and Proraso Liquid cream ASB have been used in combo by myself in the past...another good combo is the economical Nivea Extra Cooling balm followed by a splash of AV Blue...Chilling!

As stated, both are great products, and I think you'd do find by them!

Honestly though - you may find the proraso moot once you've tried the AV, as there is nothing like the clean feeling of an Alchy splash... and only an alchy splash. Some can actually be quite moisturizing as well - for instance Musgo Real splash.

The classic AV is really nice, and will grow on you more and more, however the AV Musk is exceptionally nice as well, as are some of their other seasonal scents and such. AV is probably the best deal out there, and many fellas here covet "Floid" and the like which are cheap overseas, but pretty pricey to get in the us - when in reality they are no better than AV, and actually AV is often coveted overseas!

It's cheap, good stuff, and unless you either have an hankerin' to try a lot more scents/splashes, and/or like foreign/rare/uncommon products, the AV will leave you with little to be desired. It's just good stuff.

One thing you might want to look at (if you like the scent) is Brut's shea butter aftershave balm. It's OUTSTANDING and it's incredibly inexpensive for what you get. The only downside in my book is the scent - and while I like it, it is strong and will interfer with soft colognes and the like, so I don't get to use it as often as i'd like - but again, it's some damn good stuff, and at a good price.

Some can actually be quite moisturizing as well - for instance Musgo Real splash.

Are you talking about the old-style cork bottle, or the new bottle as well? I've read great reviews about this stuff, and want to try it. I've been using the Aqua Velva blue, and love it, but I'm afraid it will dry me out in the winter.

Are you talking about the old-style cork bottle, or the new bottle as well? I've read great reviews about this stuff, and want to try it. I've been using the Aqua Velva blue, and love it, but I'm afraid it will dry me out in the winter.

just a packaging change, same product inside

mugso aftershave splash has aloe vera in it which gives it an edge up against most other only alcohol AS, but because of that it can also leave a slightly sticky film

i would not compare AV to mugso, they're pretty different beasts in their own right

As zippy said - same stuff, different packaging.

Personally I've never experienced any stickyness from Musgo, and it actually has aloe vera EXTRACT in it, not gel so it shouldn't be sticky or tacky in the slightest.

Musgo has a load of good stuff in it, like vitamins, glycerin, aloe, and so on and so forth, and provides a lot more moisture than the run of the mill splash.

As far as splashes go, it's my hands down favorite!

good deal, thanks for the info guys.

I like splashes, but they usually dry me out, so I will have to give the Musgo a spin.

just a packaging change, same product inside

mugso aftershave splash has aloe vera in it which gives it an edge up against most other only alcohol AS, but because of that it can also leave a slightly sticky film

i would not compare AV to mugso, they're pretty different beasts in their own right

I, too have experienced that "sticky film" associated with Musgo Real Aftershave. I figured this was due to the Glycerin, but I would assume that aloe vera would also contribute to the "sticky finish". It's a shame, because I really enjoy the scent of Musgo Real.

-Pete

So I ended up getting a bottle of Aqua Velva Original Sport (green bottle, available in Canada). It smells more fresh than the Classic but old fashioned nonetheless.
I splashed some on after my Wednesday shave but I was conservative with the amount. It was my first day out in school and I wanted to be in control of what I smelled like. I followed the AV with Proraso ASB. The AV didn't burn and the scent didn't last long. SWMBO seemed to like it...
Saturday morning I'll go with just the AV and will post my impressions.

Honestly though - you may find the proraso moot once you've tried the AV, as there is nothing like the clean feeling of an Alchy splash... and only an alchy splash.

+1!
This is exactly what's happening. The two bottles of Proraso ASB just sit there since I discovered the wonders of AV splash!
I'm hooked on it. However, I'm using the green Original Sport instead of the Classic. I'll try the Classic some time soon though...

Top Bottom