What's new

Aqua Velva Original Sport (Green)

Aqua Velva Original Sport has eluded most wet shavers in the US, because it is only available in Canada. I have wanted to try it for a very long time. I recently arranged a trade with a fellow B&Ber from Canada, so I could finally experience this green elixir. What follows is my experience and review of it.
proxy.php

First of all, the trade was amazing. Shipping was uncharacteristically (and amazingly) fast! His box to me arrived in 5 days! And my package to him took 6. And surprisingly we both received our packages on the same day. That was nuts. He sent me 3 boxes of Williams Mug Soap, 2 decorative glass bottles, and 3 bottles of AV Original Sport.

So, first of all the bottles are huge! It's 235ml of aftershave, but being metric system challenged in the US, that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I'm used to seeing 3.5 oz bottles in the store, which is about 103ml. And less common in stores now is the 7oz bottle, which is about 207ml. So this bottle is even slightly bigger than that, at about 7.95oz! That's a lot of juice!

Now, a little back story, I'm a big fan of AV Ice Blue and AV Musk, but not so much a fan of Ice Sport. Ice Sport has that cheap knock-off cologne vibe to me. It also has that cheap sporty scent that you'd expect a middle/high school locker room to smell like. I feel like it's just a step above the Axe sprays that are so common these days (probably the way folks viewed Brut in the 70s/80s, huh?). Anyway, I think it is supposed to smell like Cool Water, which is where I'm picking up the cologne type smell from.

So, I told you that to say this. My first impression upon wearing it, was that it was similar to Ice Sport. It had that same cologne-type scent, but in a different way. I could tell these two 'sports' were kin, but still unique. It doesn't smell at all like Cool Water, and all I could think initially was that it just smelled 'green'.

And talk about strong! Boy, howdy... it goes on even heavier than Ice Blue! The first time I put it on, I though, "Oh My, what have I gotten myself into... not sure if I like it." Luckily, it fades nicely, and the initial strength is gone after 30 minutes or so. But after the drydown, it stays fairly constant throughout the day. Which is a big plus. The scent on my skin at the end of the day was subtle, but still present. That's about perfect performance from an AS in my opinion. Just don't put it on immediately before a meeting, or you'll be "that guy".

Now, going back to the scent, I hated it at first sniff. It was just too strong and cologney at the onset, but after the drydown it is quite pleasant. It took me a few times of using it, to figure out what it smells like, at least to me. I don't have a very refined sniffer. I can't isolate notes, so I can't describe it in much detail. But I think I have figured out, that this is a fougere scent. I could be wrong, but that is what it smells like to me. And the more I use it, the more I like it. But I still don't care for it at the beginning, so I kinda have to suffer through the first part of it. But after that it's really great.

So, this is now a new favorite of mine. I do love the green scent. I'd probably place this either right in front or right behind the Musk. I haven't figured out which I like better yet. But at any rate, it's way better than the Ice Sport. At least to me. If you are a fan of the Ice Sport scent, then your opinion may differ. If you are able to find some Original Sport, it's definitely worth it.

I'm curious, for those of you who have tried it, how you describe the scent.

I'm with you, KJ. I have no idea how to describe the scent, but my wife likes it on me, so I don't think too hard.

My bottle was a complete surprise, I won a Saint Sue auction item and a bottle of the green stuff was tossed in as a bonus from the CAN shipper.

Honestly I do not like the green. There is a subtle scent in there that to me seems like a dead animal/vomit. I'll do really like the Ice Blue though and don't mind the ice sport as well.

I managed to find a vintage glass bottle of Original Sport from the Smith Kline era. Although the bottle is larger, it only has 200 ml vs. 235 ml in the plastic bottle. I have not opened the vintage bottle yet, but I will when the plastic one is empty. I might get a plastic replacement and only use the glass bottle for special occasions. Here are some comparison photos.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

One day I will be lucky enough to have the green elixir! Then I can say I have them all.

For me it goes AV>MUSK>SPORT

I managed to find a vintage glass bottle of Original Sport from the Smith Kline era.
proxy.php
All of my AV is in original glass now, except for the Original Sport. I need to find a glass bottle for it! For the time being, I've got it in a glass AV Ice Blue bottle and I intend to transfer the label over. But I'd like to find a proper vintage bottle for it eventually.

This stuff is in all the pharmacies of my little town. If any of you guys wan some just Pm me, I'll buy any quantity you want and ship it to you for the actual cost of shipping and purchase.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very very cool! An AV Fougere would be amazing / have a lot of potential.

Agree that Ice Sport, well. Is not a favorite.

Darn, coulda got that when I was Vancouver ...

AA

Your review makes me wonder how the Canadian Blue compares to the US Blue. To me the Blue fragrance has a higher note and was not as pleasant. SWMBO told me the green was by far the better scent, so that was what I purchased. I thought it had a strong alcohol scent, felt king of menthol like, and after about three hours the wife told me the scent was not noticeable.

Not a lot of AS up here in most stores; AV - Green, Blue and musk, Brut, Old Spice Classic and Mennens

thanks for the review. i like original sport alot. it reminds me of the ralph lauren polo cologne that was really popular when i was in high school. like you said it has punch early but settles down nicely after a few minutes, but has staying power, unlike the AV musk.

Glad it's workin' out well! I have no idea what to call whatever scent it is, but I always throw a massive handful of it all over my shirt before I go to work because it lasts so long. It's not not great at first splash, but it's awesome about an hour later!
:thumbup1:

I agree that out of the bottle, AB original sport actually smells like sweaty gym socks at first sniff. It does have a nice dry down and is less chemical-y to me, than AV Ice blue. The Mrs. says the green smells way better than blue. I think blue wins, personally, but both are good. As mentioned, don't judge it out of the bottle.

I just tried this for the first time today. I shaved with a menthol cream, then showered, then applied this aftershave...and WOW! I have fallen in love at first use! My first reaction was to raise my arms overhead and shout, "Yes!" Can't recall ever doing that with a shaving product.

I know scents are prone to personal judgement, so I won't be overdosing on this stuff when in the office. Nevertheless, for a weekend when I am mostly keeping to myself, I love using an aftershave whose fragrance smells pretty good to me and lingers throughout the day. A perfect weekend aftershave, in my opinion.

It feels better than it smells. Truth be told, the fragrance can be beaten by many products out there, but I think it's the best of the <$5 products. I would rank the Clubman Citrus ahead of this one in the <$10 category, but this aftershave lasts longer and is cheaper.

I managed to find a vintage glass bottle of Original Sport from the Smith Kline era. Although the bottle is larger, it only has 200 ml vs. 235 ml in the plastic bottle. I have not opened the vintage bottle yet, but I will when the plastic one is empty. I might get a plastic replacement and only use the glass bottle for special occasions. Here are some comparison photos.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice score!!

I was digging through my decade+ stash, and found this. I don’t remember buying this. It smells kind of meh. Like laundry, but kind of cheap. I totally forgot there was a green AV. I had to google this to make sure I hadn’t decanted something else into an AV bottle.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There was an AV Christmas set, two years ago: bottle of Blue, bottle of Green/Sport and a puck of Williams.

One of the few times it was easy to get in 'Murica. I got two sets ... just because. :001_unsur

Soapy, piny, clean, pretty good.

AA

Top Bottom