What's new

Aqua Velva Musk

Ok. Here's an update. Used again this morning. Did not detect the "poop" smell this time around. I actually liked it better this morning. Kind of sweet. Here's one thing I absolutely hate about Aqua Velva. The opening of the bottle causes way too much product to pour out all over the place. I think they really need to find an alternative to the dispensing opening, something more in keeping with Pinaud Clubman. Smaller and easier to control.

Ok. Here's an update. Used again this morning. Did not detect the "poop" smell this time around. I actually liked it better this morning. Kind of sweet. Here's one thing I absolutely hate about Aqua Velva. The opening of the bottle causes way too much product to pour out all over the place. I think they really need to find an alternative to the dispensing opening, something more in keeping with Pinaud Clubman. Smaller and easier to control.

Agree, I'd much prefer one with a smaller hole. What you want to do if you're not doing it already is to place a finger over the hole and then just lift it very slightly to dispense the amount of aftershave you are looking for. With that big hole, I think AV is encouraging us to splash it on liberally but with the finger covering the hole approach, you have a lot more control.

Agree, I'd much prefer one with a smaller hole. What you want to do if you're not doing it already is to place a finger over the hole and then just lift it very slightly to dispense the amount of aftershave you are looking for. With that big hole, I think AV is encouraging us to splash it on liberally but with the finger covering the hole approach, you have a lot more control.

That sounds like a good idea. The first two times I used it I shook it 2 or 3 times into my hand and not surprisingly it went everywhere. I should have expected that since I also use Ice Blue, but not since the summer. This morning I just shook once and there was plenty in my hand for the application. Tomorrow I'll try your approach. But I'm liking the scent more and more now. It's growing on me.

Here's one thing I absolutely hate about Aqua Velva. The opening of the bottle causes way too much product to pour out all over the place. I think they really need to find an alternative to the dispensing opening, something more in keeping with Pinaud Clubman. Smaller and easier to control.
Here's the fix for that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually love the Aqua Velva pour hole. I like how the reducer has a perfect fingertip shaped indentation. It makes it so easy to use the method KJ describes in his video above. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the Juice with AV Musk. Ice Blue is pretty much my absolute favourite AS, but the musk is just waaay too much for me. Still though I'm keeping the bottle and will revisit it from time to time with an open mind. I still contemplate using it as a very diluted mixer with something. I just get visions of the old Warner Brothers cartoons when someone would put a little drop of poison in a drink and you'd get a little mushroom cloud. I guess if my avatar shows up with X's on his eyes, you'll know I've been playing with the AV musk.

For me, Aqua Velva Musk is the baseline aftershave to compare all others in terms of projection and longevity. For about $4 you get a fragrance that will project for 2 hours and last for 5 or more! I agree with the member who advised purchasing the Old Spice Musk AS from India (I would have quoted him but the multi-quote option wasn't working). OS Musk is excellent and also hangs around for quite a bit. I've also rediscovered Jovan Musk aftershave/cologne splash
and recommend it. 8 oz. of Jovan Musk can be hand for about $12 in a glass bottle.

In regard to the "orifice regulator" that Aqua Velva Musk uses for the bottle opening (that's a fancy term for plastic pour spout), I decanted the juice into a 5 oz. dasher bottle with a much smaller "orifice regulator". I even managed to get the AV Musk decals onto the new bottle. I picked up a dozen empty 5 oz. bottles from Amazon and decanted my entire Clubman collection. Alternatively, you can just buy a cheap hot sauce bottle, empty out the contents and rinse it a few times with dishwashing liquid to get the smell out.

Good stuff. I was able to score a few glass bottle ones a few years back when they changed to plastic bottles. I don't use it super often, but I like it occasionally.

I think I need to try the Musk. I've only ever used the green Original Sport which I always thought was the original. The girlfriend loves it.

So i recently got a vintage full bottle of Aqua Velva Musk and I actually had to dispose of the contents. I have never seen Aftershave go bad but jeez was this bad it was actually eroding the cap of the aftershave that is how strong it was. I plan on decanting modern musk into it tonight.

I decanted my AV musk into a glass bottle and it improved the scent quite a bit, but it still starts off with a strong chemical scent. It settles down nicely after half an hour or so. I think in order to avoid the "old man smell" trap, it's best to apply it sparingly and after a shower. I find applying a musk in the middle of the day gives it a stale smell.

I bought some Pinaud Clubman Musk which smells nothing like musk. To me it smells exactly like Clubman which I already knew I didn't like. Rather than having it go to waste, I've been adding AV Musk to it to get it to smell more like musk, less like Clubman. I'm not there yet so I'll keep adding AV Musk each time the bottle level drops down a bit.

I bought some Pinaud Clubman Musk which smells nothing like musk. To me it smells exactly like Clubman which I already knew I didn't like. Rather than having it go to waste, I've been adding AV Musk to it to get it to smell more like musk, less like Clubman. I'm not there yet so I'll keep adding AV Musk each time the bottle level drops down a bit.

Isn't the "sweetness" of the Clubman Musk coming from the musk itself?

I'm not sure how to respond. I do think that AV musk is sweet going on but that it levels out very nicely. I think that Clubman and Clubman "Musk" are cloyingly sweet. (Offensively so) I only like the scent when it is almost died out and just smells like powder. I think that Clubman's "Musk" is false advertising. It smells the same as regular Clubman to me. Combining AV Musk with it makes the Clubman "Musk" more acceptable to me but I still want to move the balance of the scent closer to the musk. Every 2-3 uses I fill it with more AV Musk right to the top of the neck of the bottle.

Weird, I plainly smell a difference between Clubman and Musk. They have some similar notes here and there, but they sure don't come across as the same to me, at all.
Of course different noses, different way they interact on the skin, etc... Isn't it funny how that works?

Clubman "Musk" has capped it for me, I'm done experimenting with the Pinaud line. I rather like their Citrus Musk and will buy it again but that's it for me.

Top Bottom