What's new

Aqua Velva Ice Blue in glass bottles

I thought members would enjoy seeing the different Aqua Velva Ice Blue glass bottle styles which were sold throughout the years.

Contrary to what is stated on the back of the current plastic bottle of AV Ice Blue, AV Ice Blue was not released in 1917 ... it was first sold in 1955. In my photo, that first bottle of AV Ice Blue is the one all the way on the left with the white label, while the others show the different bottle styles as they progressed through time. The last glass bottle style is on the far right and was phased out on February 1st, 2010 in favor of a plastic shatterproof version.
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent collection. I found a full bottle for $5 a few months back, wasn't sure of its age but it's the second from the left in your "family photo." Still smells and works great!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Artistic license probably. Aqua Velva (not Ice Blue) was sold as an aftershave in October of 1917.

That's a great collection there, I'm green with envy over your blue!

I thought members would enjoy seeing the different Aqua Velva Ice Blue glass bottle styles which were sold throughout the years.

Contrary to what is stated on the back of the current plastic bottle of AV Ice Blue, AV Ice Blue was not released in 1917 ... it was first sold in 1955. In my photo, that first bottle of AV Ice Blue is the one all the way on the left with the white label, while the others show the different bottle styles as they progressed through time. The last glass bottle style is on the far right and was phased out on February 1st, 2010 in favor of a plastic shatterproof version. View attachment 1318758View attachment 1318759
Looks like the color of the blue has changed over time. I seem to recall the light blue bottle on the right in your second picture. I have a question. How many ounces did they contain? I was just at the store, and I thought the bottle looked a lot smaller. But I could be mistaken.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looks like the color of the blue has changed over time. I seem to recall the light blue bottle on the right in your second picture. I have a question. How many ounces did they contain? I was just at the store, and I thought the bottle looked a lot smaller. But I could be mistaken.

The plastic is thinner than glass, so even with the same quantity, the bottle is smaller.

Yes, the color has changed over time. I actually own a bottle from the early sixties that is nearly colorless. It has just the slightest bit of yellowish tint to the liquid, but it retains its signature scent.

The bottle that you are familiar with in the second photo on the far right was sold in the 70's and 80's.

The glass bottles that I posted pictures of are all 4oz. The newest version of Ice Blue being sold in stores is bottled in plastic and is 3.5oz. The earlier versions were manufactured in different sizes (1 3/4oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz).
IMG_1127.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, the color has changed over time. I actually own a bottle from the early sixties that is nearly colorless. It has just the slightest bit of yellowish tint to the liquid, but it retains its signature scent.

The bottle that you are familiar with in the second photo on the far right was sold in the 70's and 80's.

The glass bottles that I posted pictures of are all 4oz. The newest version of Ice Blue being sold in stores is bottled in plastic and is 3.5oz. The earlier versions were manufactured in different sizes (1 3/4oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz).View attachment 1321496
That's a neat collection display. Is the "William's Aqua Velva" in the middle with the yellow color the one you were talking about, same scent as "Ice Blue"? I see Frost Lime on the left. I didn't know there was a lime. The only ones I've seen in the store would be Ice Blue and Musk. I've seen people post pictures of AV Sport. That's another one I've never seen here in the store.

Dominic, I think there are still two different sizes being sold in the current plastic bottles. Or at least that was the case until recently, as I seem to recall seeing, anyway. It could also be that they are now only making the smaller size and those larger ones are holdovers. Skin Bracer is still made in at least two sizes, though, so I suspect it's the same with AV.

The first bottle of AV Ice Blue I ever bought, many years ago, was in glass but resembled the current labeling, and was larger than the bottles I typically see at drugstores/groceries currently. I wish I hadn't tossed that glass bottle! I would have just started refilling it with the stuff from the plastic bottles. Oh well.

Nice find, OP - what a treasure!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Dominic, I think there are still two different sizes being sold in the current plastic bottles. Or at least that was the case until recently, as I seem to recall seeing, anyway. It could also be that they are now only making the smaller size and those larger ones are holdovers. Skin Bracer is still made in at least two sizes, though, so I suspect it's the same with AV.

The first bottle of AV Ice Blue I ever bought, many years ago, was in glass but resembled the current labeling, and was larger than the bottles I typically see at drugstores/groceries currently. I wish I hadn't tossed that glass bottle! I would have just started refilling it with the stuff from the plastic bottles. Oh well.

Nice find, OP - what a treasure!

The Combe Aqua Velva website lists Ice Blue in 3.5 and 7 ounce currently.
The Musk and Ice Sport is only offered in 3.5 oz.

That's a neat collection display. Is the "William's Aqua Velva" in the middle with the yellow color the one you were talking about, same scent as "Ice Blue"? I see Frost Lime on the left. I didn't know there was a lime. The only ones I've seen in the store would be Ice Blue and Musk. I've seen people post pictures of AV Sport. That's another one I've never seen here in the store.
The bottle in the middle with the very distinctive, bright blue label with the yellow colored aftershave was sold from 1940 to 1949 and contains the original formula. The original formula, which has a different scent than Ice Blue, was sold from 1917 to 1954 and was replaced by Ice Blue in 1955.

Here's a photo of the current bottle style. As Jan Sobieski & luvmysuper mentioned, there is also a larger size (7oz) available for purchase. I decant any new Aqua Velva that I buy into the last glass AV bottle on the right in my original post, as it's the last glass bottle that I am aware of that was available to the public.
IMG_1130.JPG

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wish I hadn't tossed that glass bottle! I would have just started refilling it with the stuff from the plastic bottles. Oh well.

I think I have another empty bottle around somewhere.
I could hunt it down and send it off to you if you'd like it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing the photos, I have never tried Aqua Velva. I don’t think I have ever seen it out here in my part of Australia. It may have made it to the cities but I am in the country.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for sharing the photos, I have never tried Aqua Velva. I don’t think I have ever seen it out here in my part of Australia. It may have made it to the cities but I am in the country.

Looks like there are some online sellers in Oz, but the price seems pretty gouge-y if you ask me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Looks like there are some online sellers in Oz, but the price seems pretty gouge-y if you ask me.
I just had a little Google, price is on the higher side plus shipping is high. I guess some of the websites only order it in when you place an order. I found a price that suited my wallet but the shipping was 3 times the cost of the product.

The bottle in the middle with the very distinctive, bright blue label with the yellow colored aftershave was sold from 1940 to 1949 and contains the original formula. The original formula, which has a different scent than Ice Blue, was sold from 1917 to 1954 and was replaced by Ice Blue in 1955.

Here's a photo of the current bottle style. As Jan Sobieski & luvmysuper mentioned, there is also a larger size (7oz) available for purchase. I decant any new Aqua Velva that I buy into the last glass AV bottle on the right in my original post, as it's the last glass bottle that I am aware of that was available to the public. View attachment 1321751
Have you ever used any of the old Aqua Velvas in your collection, even if it was just once?

Top Bottom