What's new

Aqua velva has ruined me

How does AV compare to Osage rub and Skin Bracer?
Not as strong menthol as Osage, close to SB. Scent is different and reasonably lasting especially compared to Osage. Similar longevity to SB on me. Very unique and nice scent. Women do like it.

Every time I smell aqua velva out of the bottle, it just smells like alcohol to me. Does it transform in scent when used, or when decanter in glass? If so, I might grab a bottle.

Every time I smell aqua velva out of the bottle, it just smells like alcohol to me. Does it transform in scent when used, or when decanter in glass? If so, I might grab a bottle.

You can never judge an aftershave by what it smells like from the bottle. Alcohol will evaporate and fill the headspace on the bottle, so it's common for bottle sniffs to smell over powered by alcohol. Plus, the scents will change as they hit your skin and the alcohol burns off. The dry down is always different as the top notes dissipate and the basenotes come through.

Anymore there are only two aftershaves on my shave sink counter - AV and Skin Bracer. They're both unbeatable in my book.

You can never judge an aftershave by what it smells like from the bottle. Alcohol will evaporate and fill the headspace on the bottle, so it's common for bottle sniffs to smell over powered by alcohol. Plus, the scents will change as they hit your skin and the alcohol burns off. The dry down is always different as the top notes dissipate and the basenotes come through.

I might have to give AV a chance. I can grab a bottle at Dollar General for $3. Now might be the time.

Of the many aftershaves I have used over the years, AV has always been at the top of my rotation. I like many aftershaves, but AV is my #1. $6494ffab708a580048a114a357eba224.jpg

Last edited:
At the very least AV has to be the greatest inexpensive aftershave of all time. After the initial blast of menthol and citrus (?) I get a very pleasant mild mossy powdery smell that has some warmth to it, yet my face does feel "cool and refreshed" all day too! Near perfection.

I've found no correlation at all between price and quality when it comes to wet shaving equipment and products. Most of what I use the most is among the least expensive.

Arko soap, AV aftershave, vintage super speed razors, semogue boar brushes, Personna blue blades. All ridiculously inexpensive but to me superior to the pricey stuff I've tried.

I have AV Musk,Ice Blue, Clubman (Vanilla, Original, Veg, Bay Rum , SR) gotta love inexpensive stuff that actually works well.

I smelt Ice Blue and it is pretty nice. I smelt that and Musk today and Musk smelt like roadkill to me while Ice Blue is on my radar but I like Afta Fresh and trying the comparable Gillette to Afta for my brother's wedding (just for portability.)

AV Musk smells much better a few minutes after application than it does direct from the bottle. I finally tried it a few weeks ago, and I've come to love it. It settles down to a warm, clean scent.

I will have to try this. I've pretty much just used Old Spice my entire life. I did order a bottle of Thayers witch hazel to try, so maybe now is a good time to get a bottle of AV.

How does AV compare to Osage rub and Skin Bracer?
just tried AV today. been using osage rub for a bit now. out of the 3. osage rub has the most menthol cooling scent is nice i like it in a medical way. no staying power though. both skin bracer and aqua velva both has a nice amount of menthol. skin bracer seems to be more of a clean scent to me aqua velva seems to be a nice cologne scent if that makes sense. really you should have all 3 in your den. along with english leather and old spice.

AV Musk smells much better a few minutes after application than it does direct from the bottle. I finally tried it a few weeks ago, and I've come to love it. It settles down to a warm, clean scent.
Since you brought up "musk," how does AV compare to Pinaud Musk? Personally, I prefer the Pinaud musk best.

$image.jpeg

Really great thread for the menthol lovers. I have the Spanish aqua velva and I love it but for me nothing compares to floid Vigoroso or it's brother floid Suave. Scent, coolness and post feel.
I will now try a mennen skin bracer since summer is coming and so it's time for Proraso green and all menthol splashes

I can't remember the last time I used Aqua Velva. It must have been at least 30 years ago. It was a staple in my early days of shaving (late 50s, early 60s). Coincidentally, I was in CVS today and bought a bottle of Ice Blue. I was prompted by an upcoming vintage SOTD event on a facebook group.

Top Bottom