What's new

Aqua Stone

I've only tried lapping films for keeping my straight razors sharp before now. My uncle bought me a 6000/1000 grit Aqua Stone. I've heard you could maintain your edge with only an 8000 grit stone and a 12k stone (like an ILR). Can I substitute the 6000 Aqua Stone for an 8k one?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Most would agree that it will shave but not be as smooth as a higher grit stone. Thank your uncle and I would suggest that if you haven't used it, you might be able to trade it back in for a higher grit stone. Also, some manufacturers' grit ratings are not as consistent as others. I'm not familiar with Aqua Stone but you might have better luck with a more commonly used brand like Norton, Naniwa, Shapton, etc...

ETA: Just saw this on Amazon. Waterstone. Designed for knives. Would work great for a Sushi knife.

Thanks. I tried it out with a pocket knife. Like my ceramic for sharpening those though. So a Shapton 8k for a bit, then to the ILR (12K?) for a few more laps and I can drop a hair onto it and it'll cut it?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks. I tried it out with a pocket knife. Like my ceramic for sharpening those though. So a Shapton 8k for a bit, then to the ILR (12K?) for a few more laps and I can drop a hair onto it and it'll cut it?

A Shapton Glass stone 8K will put a very keen edge on a blade. Never used an ILR but follow the SGS with most any polisher and you will be happy.

So a Shapton Glass Stone 8k, not this?:

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-02-08-16-10-37.png
    Capture+_2019-02-08-16-10-37.png
    800.5 KB · Views: 12

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've heard that those were also very good stones but my personal experience is only with the glass stone line.

I've never honed a razor so I want to do it right but those glass stones are EXPENSIVE. Especially the 30k! 300 bucks!

You can use the 1k and 6k as long as you follow it up with a finisher (films). I haven't read many good things about ILR, but to each their own.

Top Bottom