What's new

APShaveCo Recommendation?

Howdy. I've been looking at APShaveCO brushes and I think I want to get the cashmere because of how soft it sounds but I like a brush with some backbone. I like both face and bowl lathering. Any recommendations on the loft/knot size as well as the fan/bulb shape? Never tried their brushes before so any advice is appreciated.

Hi @kyleifornia! I'll rank the perceived backbone of the APShaveCO knots I've tried so far:

From most backbone to least:
Silksmoke (so much more backbone in this knot, compared to the others, that I decided not to fit it to a handle, but gave it away)
Cashmere
SynBad
Faux Horse (this is a crazy soft knot; I love it)

Having the knot set lower will increase backbone, as will choosing a bulb instead of a fan. From what I've heard, Andrew is awesome at helping make these choices, so if you're getting a complete brush from him, just contact him and tell him what you're looking for. For me, I was just ordering a bunch of knots to make brushes at home, so didn't really ask any of those questions. I think if you were to get a bulb cashmere and have it set not-too-high, you'll probably have something you like.

Hope this helps. It's just my observations; take with a grain of salt!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Synbad is an excellent knot:
20220329_204949~2.jpg
20220411_140443~2.jpg
20220125_153309~2.jpg

Hi @kyleifornia! I'll rank the perceived backbone of the APShaveCO knots I've tried so far:

From most backbone to least:
Silksmoke (so much more backbone in this knot, compared to the others, that I decided not to fit it to a handle, but gave it away)
Cashmere
SynBad
Faux Horse (this is a crazy soft knot; I love it)

Having the knot set lower will increase backbone, as will choosing a bulb instead of a fan. From what I've heard, Andrew is awesome at helping make these choices, so if you're getting a complete brush from him, just contact him and tell him what you're looking for. For me, I was just ordering a bunch of knots to make brushes at home, so didn't really ask any of those questions. I think if you were to get a bulb cashmere and have it set not-too-high, you'll probably have something you like.

Hope this helps. It's just my observations; take with a grain of salt!
I'm replying to my own post because I completely forgot about the 2BED and the G5C when I wrote late last night!

New ranking, still from most backbone to least:
G5C
2BED
Silksmoke (although I haven't actually used it, unlike the others)
Cashmere
Synbad
Faux Horse

I've only used their synthetic offerings, obviously. Since you mentioned the Cashmere, I assumed that's the direction you're intending to go. To me, the G5C and 2BED are in a tier of their own for backbone, and the Cashmere, Synbad, and Faux Horse would be grouped in a softer tier. I happen to think the 2BED is a nice combination of a synthetic that actually can offer some scrub, without sacrificing much softness. But since I prefer knots in the softer tier as described above, I don't tend to reach for the 2BED that much.

I did a pretty big facepalm today when I realized I'd forgotten these knots!

I'm replying to my own post because I completely forgot about the 2BED and the G5C when I wrote late last night!

New ranking, still from most backbone to least:
G5C
2BED
Silksmoke (although I haven't actually used it, unlike the others)
Cashmere
Synbad
Faux Horse

I've only used their synthetic offerings, obviously. Since you mentioned the Cashmere, I assumed that's the direction you're intending to go. To me, the G5C and 2BED are in a tier of their own for backbone, and the Cashmere, Synbad, and Faux Horse would be grouped in a softer tier. I happen to think the 2BED is a nice combination of a synthetic that actually can offer some scrub, without sacrificing much softness. But since I prefer knots in the softer tier as described above, I don't tend to reach for the 2BED that much.

I did a pretty big facepalm today when I realized I'd forgotten these knots!
Thanks! This narrows things down. Yes, I’m looking for something that isn’t abrasive. I get brush burn sometimes

Top Bottom