What's new

APShaveCO Custom Brush With Premium G5C Synthetic 24mm Knot In Blue Lagoon Handle!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone! A brush that I had ordered decided to come early from Canada, oh heck ya! 😁

APShaveCO Custom Brush With Premium G5C Synthetic 24mm Knot In Blue Lagoon Handle!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

This is the first synthetic brush that I have ever bought. And because it was my first synthetic, I wanted to start this off right, by getting the highest quality knot that I could, from our very own APShaveCO vender on B&B. Andrew is really stellar guys, all I had to do was PM him, let him know what I wanted, and he custom made this brush for me, with the premium G5C knot. And from what I can tell so far, he has done a pretty darn good job!

This brush just came today, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet, I will tomorrow when I shave. Here's what I have noticed so far, from just brushing my fingers across the brush...

(1) Brush doesn't appear to have as much backbone, as my Maseto Avatar Silver Tipped Badger Brush, but it does have more backbone, then my garbage Pure Badger brush, so I will consider that an acceptable trade off.

(2) I haven't measured it, but the loft appears to be about 56mm, same as my Maseto.

(3) Brush hairs are unbelievably soft! 😍

(4) While handle is indeed small, it does feel good in the hand.

Overall, this brush is absolutely gorgeous, and looks much better in person! At first I was questioning my decision to go with a synthetic brush, after being spoiled with a silver tipped badger brush. But it appears that @APBinNCA was correct, as I believe I am about to begin spoiling myself some more with this new brush. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow and give you guys my review.

Thanks goes to @APBinNCA for recommending APShaveCo brushes, and specifically G5 knot premium class knots!

Thanks goes to @apshaveco for making my custom brush, you are amazing Andrew!

That came out really great! It looks right at home with all your other gear. The backbone on this should be what we call springy. The interesting thing is the G5C has thicker fibres and the springiness is supposed to come from the whole fibre instead of just the base. I look forward to hearing how it performs! Hopefully Andrew hasn't forgot about mine...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

That came out really great! It looks right at home with all your other gear. The backbone on this should be what we call springy. The interesting thing is the G5C has thicker fibres and the springiness is supposed to come from the whole fibre instead of just the base. I look forward to hearing how it performs! Hopefully Andrew hasn't forgot about mine...

Thank you so much! And I couldn't agree more! And your right, that is what hairs were doing, springing into action. I forgot all about that springy thing. I'd like to assume that thicker fibers are better then thin ones, at least when it comes to the quality of the brush. Hopefully, the thicker fibers also equal a good performance. I do notice that the density of the knot is not as dense as my silver tipped badgers, but I don't necessarily see that as a drawback though.

You know what my biggest complaint is of my Maseto brush, it just soaks up the lather, and forces me to have to finish lathering it up on my face, cause it gives me no time to whip it up proper in the bowl. Well, the Maseto is classified as EXTRA DENSE! I've come to realize, through personal experience, that an extra density brush, is really only good for face lathering. I mean, we all apply the lather to our face regardless, I know that.

But with the extra density fibers, you have to finish whipping it to consistency directly on your face is the point I am making. I remember my pure badger brush didn't have this issue, because its super low density, lower density infact then my new AP brush! So I am expecting my AP brush to be somewhere in the middle is what I am saying. I am expecting the brush to whip up a lather nicely in my bowl or scuttle, and I am expecting it to hold a little bit of lather, but not suck up all of it like a vacuum lol!

Yes, I can't wait to try out the new brush tomorrow. And hmm, this brush stand of mine? I had to re-close the fork prongs to hold my smaller brush, I think the AP brush is better suited for my current stand lol. I've seen that Thater I think their name is? Well anyways, I think its Thater who sells a chubby brush stand, that would be far better suited for my Maseto brush, just saying lol. Glad you also see what I do, that my AP brush feels at home, gotta like that!

And I sure hope Andrew hasn't forgotten about you, otherwise, I am going to have to remind him just how awesome you are, but in a quick second, you can crack a whip, and launch an eye poke just as easily. LOL! :lol:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

That's a great looking brush. I have to look into APShave's brushes for sure.
Enjoy it!

On his site, you will find G4 knot brushes ready for sale for quick order. However, if you want a G5 class knot, then you will have to PM Andrew and ask him to make you one in the handle you desire. I hope that you find something that you like! Please keep me updated BTW, I appreciate buddy thanks!

On his site, you will find G4 knot brushes ready for sale for quick order. However, if you want a G5 class knot, then you will have to PM Andrew and ask him to make you one in the handle you desire. I hope that you find something that you like! Please keep me updated BTW, I appreciate buddy thanks!
I just went through his website. Nice ones ready to go and reasonable prices. I just received a Yaqi brush last week so I'm good (for now). I've got 2 brushes sitting in their boxes still waiting to be used. But my next one (I'm sure sooner than I expect) will definitely be from him.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone!

So I got a chance to test out my new brush today. Let me tell you something, those springy hairs take some getting used to, after coming from using a silver tipped badger brush. Other then the fact I have to get used to the springy brush, I did like the fact it has more backbone then my pure badger, it has just enough to get the job done.

I also couldn't believe how much softer the tips of the hairs were, over my silver tipped badger! I didn't think anything could be softer then my badger, but this synthetic brush gets an A+ for softest hairs in the world. So get this, a brush that has solid backbone to spread lather on my face, yet the tips of the hairs so soft, there is no scratchyness at all! I am really impressed by that, and amazed.

The brush doesn't act like a sea sponge or vacuum cleaner when it comes to lather either. It doesn't just suck up all the lather and leave nothing left in the bowl. Of course, I am using my scuttle but that makes no difference. The point is, I was able to whip up a lather. Now, Caties Bubbles is well named, because the lather consistency I usually get with it, is kind of airy bubbly.

Now, perhaps I should have added a little more soap, but I honestly felt like I added plenty! And because I wanted to try out this brushes ability to gather soap, I didn't use my spoon to scoop up the soap. I just swirled the brush around in the soap puk like your normally supposed to do. I was impressed at how easily the brush was able to acquire lather.

Also, because the brush knot is a little bit smaller, I was able to go around the edges of the puk easily to grab the left overs. I don't consider myself a lather expert by any means, I am always making mistakes. But some days I do better then other days. What I like is the easyness factor of this synthetic brush. Applying the lather to my face was not a big deal at all, I did my usual swirls, then I did the painters left and right action, got it all spread around my face and neck real nice, no issues there.

After I have experienced both a real badger brush, and a synthetic brush, I can't really say that one brush is better then the other at this point. Thats a lot like saying, an apple is better then an orange, yet you enjoy both, doesn't make sense. What I will say is that each brush type has their positives and negatives. You know what I say? I say own both! Because at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a silver tipped 2-band badger brush, just as you can't go wrong with a premium G5C synthetic brush!

I can tell you without a doubt that, I really love my new synthetic brush from APShaveCO! And I 100% recommend it! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 STARS!

And I better post this picture, otherwise somebody will complain that I didn't take one of the brush full of lather. Notice how perfectly rounded the sides of the brush are with the lather on it? I could never do that with my badger brush!
proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I tuned out when springy was mentioned.

Seriously, I like reading reviews of brushes I don't know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Unless I am mistaken Jim, you don't own an AP synthetic brush yet. I believe the only synthetic you own, is the Omega Evo, which is a heck of a lot more expensive. But you get a lot for your money for a custom brush from APShaveCo, just contact Andrew.

And I have no control over your ability to focus, only you can control that. And in regards to you buying one of these brushes, I can only show you the door, your the one who has to walk through it. ;)

I tuned out when springy was mentioned.

Seriously, I like reading reviews of brushes I don't know.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I hear you. To be fair, I've been known to fling soap while shaving with badgers and boars, so I might turn any brush into a springy one.

I bought a 26 mm G5C from AP shave and a handle as well last week. I did not have him set it, because I want to play with loft using silicone, spacers and what not, and then see what I can make of it. The G5 series has shorter hairs than more traditional synthetics, or so I've read. My G5A is very scrubby, very soft, but just does not splay like I want (and I want it to splay, dang it, as a face latherer). Here's hoping the G5C gives it to me. If not, well, the adventure continues. For the record, my preferred synthetic knot to date is Turn n Shave's 26mm quartermoon.

Best of luck to everyone in your own shave journeys!

It's a good looking brush.

It's soft, with medium backbone, but it's a nightmare to splay and open up in the face, and for me as I only face lather, I'm really disapponted with it. I've used mine like 3 times, and I just stored it.

Hope you can have better experiencies than I did.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Unless I am mistaken Jim, you don't own an AP synthetic brush yet. I believe the only synthetic you own, is the Omega Evo, which is a heck of a lot more expensive. But you get a lot for your money for a custom brush from APShaveCo, just contact Andrew.

And I have no control over your ability to focus, only you can control that. And in regards to you buying one of these brushes, I can only show you the door, your the one who has to walk through it. ;)

I am unlikely to buy another synthetic. One was all I wanted but I wanted that one to be as good as it turned out to be.

Can't be springy. Can't lack splay. Etc.

(If I were to buy another synthetic it would be perhaps a Zenith, or some as yet to be invented generation x synthetic better than badger, but more likely another Evo.)

Really though I'm fine with just the one. For travel. For occasional use. Just to have one good synthetic to cover the bases.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It's a good looking brush.

It's soft, with medium backbone, but it's a nightmare to splay and open up in the face, and for me as I only face lather, I'm really disapponted with it. I've used mine like 3 times, and I just stored it.

Hope you can have better experiencies than I did.

Hello David, good to see you!

Some knots will splay, some knots will not, and some knots are in-between. Trying out brushes, is the only way to find out what you will like, this is something that I've learned. One can give you advice all day long, but until you try it out, your never going to know for sure. Sorry the G5C knot didn't work out for you. Try the G5A or G5B knots and see how you make out with those. There is also the older G4 knots still available too.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Sorry to revive this thread but I just received my G5C brush. Did yours shed? Five bristles already fell off before I used it

If you lost 5-bristles, thats because they didn't get glued in with the rest of them. My G5C knot didn't shed on my brush, and its less common for synthetics knots to shed. Thats why I say, losing 5-bristles before you have even used it, is a sign that those bristles didn't get glued in proper. As long as you don't lose anymore, I wouldn't consider it a problem. Having said that however, if the brush continues to shed after every use, then you will need to contact APSHAVECO and report the issue for warranty replacement.

If you lost 5-bristles, thats because they didn't get glued in with the rest of them. My G5C knot didn't shed on my brush, and its less common for synthetics knots to shed. Thats why I say, losing 5-bristles before you have even used it, is a sign that those bristles didn't get glued in proper. As long as you don't lose anymore, I wouldn't consider it a problem. Having said that however, if the brush continues to shed after every use, then you will need to contact APSHAVECO and report the issue for warranty replacement.
Thank you. I think I am going to contact him. Another 6 bristles came off on the second use.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thank you. I think I am going to contact him. Another 6 bristles came off on the second use.

Again, I am really sorry to hear about this unfortunate circumstance. Considering that I own 2-synthetic brushes, one APSHAVECO Blue Lagoon with the 24mm G5C synthetic knot brush, and one Cayuene Workshop Dark Nebula with the 26mm Tuxedo synthetic brush, neither which have lost more then 1-bristle fiber if that, this is most certainly a rare circumstance. IMHO, I consider your brush defective, and requires replacement. Since Andrew is a nice guy, I am sure he will replace yours without question.

If you had a real hair fiber brush, it would be different, and I would have considered it a normal situation. As real hair brushes continue to shed about 20 fibers after a couple dozen uses, until they stop shedding. But again, thats for real haired brushes. It is not however normal for you to lose 11 bristle fibers from a synthetic brush. My two cents, which after this hobby is done with me, I won't even have 2 cents left. 🤪

Again, I am really sorry to hear about this unfortunate circumstance. Considering that I own 2-synthetic brushes, one APSHAVECO Blue Lagoon with the 24mm G5C synthetic knot brush, and one Cayuene Workshop Dark Nebula with the 26mm Tuxedo synthetic brush, neither which have lost more then 1-bristle fiber if that, this is most certainly a rare circumstance. IMHO, I consider your brush defective, and requires replacement. Since Andrew is a nice guy, I am sure he will replace yours without question.

If you had a real hair fiber brush, it would be different, and I would have considered it a normal situation. As real hair brushes continue to shed about 20 fibers after a couple dozen uses, until they stop shedding. But again, thats for real haired brushes. It is not however normal for you to lose 11 bristle fibers from a synthetic brush. My two cents, which after this hobby is done with me, I won't even have 2 cents left. 🤪
He said the same thing you did: the hairs didn't glue properly. He also said it should stop after the initial uses but to be considered defective, there has to be a pattern after 14 days/uses.
I've never tried a badger brush but I guess I'm getting the full experience with this one haha

Top Bottom