What's new

APSHAVE CO. Cashmere.

I have owned both the tuxedo and cashmere from APShaveCo and only the cashmere remains as one of my go-to brushes. I've also had tuxedo's from a couple other brush makers off Etsy and all those were steamed out of their original handles and replaced with other knots. I found absolutely no difference between the APShaveCo tuxedo and the Vig Shaving tuxedo vs the no name tuxedo that was in one of the brushes. They all needed more pressure or should I say persuasion to splay fully. They were all stiff and skritchy!! I also have a Whipped Dog grey/white tuxedo, (silksmoke), that is a little softer but the backbone is still evident and takes more effort to splay. I am still working on breaking that one in so it will take a little time.

My go-to's are the APShvaveCo cashmere in a Wild West Brushworks handle and a Turn-N-Shave angel hair in a DC Shaving handle that I set in each handle myself because I didn't like the tuxedo's that were in them originally. I have since given up on the tuxedo's all together and at this point I don't think you could give me a brush with a tuxedo knot in it. The ability to splay the knot is night and day. The cashmere and angel hair knots take little to no effort to splay and the tips are extremely soft. I liken them very much to my Whipped Dog uber-soft synthetic I have had for over a year now. Extremely soft tips and splays without any pressure at all. I have heard some people in the past talk about the cashmere being a floppy knot but have had no such experience with floppiness at all. I set mine to the same loft that my tuxedo's were set by the sellers I bought them from. They splay and paint very well.

As to the tuxedo's, I have my own theory that if the knots were set with say 10-15mm more loft they would act completely different than they do presently. Also to add to the mix would be the diameter of the hole in the handle. For a 24mm knot, I would set it in a handle that has a hole in the 27-28mm range to give it more room to not be so constricted as I truly believe that plays more into backbone than the actual loft itself.

If I had to do it all over again I would simply pass over the tuxedo's and head straight for the cashmere's and the like to save myself time and money!!

Seems that you have found the right spot. Today I have found out that I needed to put more water in my tuxedo knot to get a better splay, which was a real nice surprise to me.

What know size would you recommend for face lathering with a synth cashmere knot?

I have owned both the tuxedo and cashmere from APShaveCo and only the cashmere remains as one of my go-to brushes. I've also had tuxedo's from a couple other brush makers off Etsy and all those were steamed out of their original handles and replaced with other knots. I found absolutely no difference between the APShaveCo tuxedo and the Vig Shaving tuxedo vs the no name tuxedo that was in one of the brushes. They all needed more pressure or should I say persuasion to splay fully. They were all stiff and skritchy!! I also have a Whipped Dog grey/white tuxedo, (silksmoke), that is a little softer but the backbone is still evident and takes more effort to splay. I am still working on breaking that one in so it will take a little time.

My go-to's are the APShvaveCo cashmere in a Wild West Brushworks handle and a Turn-N-Shave angel hair in a DC Shaving handle that I set in each handle myself because I didn't like the tuxedo's that were in them originally. I have since given up on the tuxedo's all together and at this point I don't think you could give me a brush with a tuxedo knot in it. The ability to splay the knot is night and day. The cashmere and angel hair knots take little to no effort to splay and the tips are extremely soft. I liken them very much to my Whipped Dog uber-soft synthetic I have had for over a year now. Extremely soft tips and splays without any pressure at all. I have heard some people in the past talk about the cashmere being a floppy knot but have had no such experience with floppiness at all. I set mine to the same loft that my tuxedo's were set by the sellers I bought them from. They splay and paint very well.

As to the tuxedo's, I have my own theory that if the knots were set with say 10-15mm more loft they would act completely different than they do presently. Also to add to the mix would be the diameter of the hole in the handle. For a 24mm knot, I would set it in a handle that has a hole in the 27-28mm range to give it more room to not be so constricted as I truly believe that plays more into backbone than the actual loft itself.

If I had to do it all over again I would simply pass over the tuxedo's and head straight for the cashmere's and the like to save myself time and money!!

What know size would you recommend for face lathering with a synth cashmere knot?
Of the 2 I have, the APShaveCo is 24mm and the Turn-N-Shave is a 25mm knot I feel sometimes both are too big but I have learned to live with them. I wish either one of the mfg's come out with a 22mm knot and think that would be perfect. I just don't care that sometimes when its splayed and I am lathering my cheeks when I try to go up to my sideburns I just wind up with an earful of lather. No biggie but would rather that not happen. I do usually just paint from the sideburns down but you know how it goes when you're in the zone!! :a52:

Besides the Tuxedos I mentioned previously in this thread, I also have two Cashmeres (24mm): one I glued into a Whipped dog handle and another I replaced in a Cadman brush. I agree with muzichead's comparisons. The Cashmere is easier to splay and with less effort.

The Cadman brush was my main until I got the 30mm tuxedo. I placed the tuxedo in a custom handle set at a loft of about 61mm which is high. I'm happy with tuxedo's splaying characteristics now. My main reason for switching over to the tuxedo was purely for the now richer luxurious lather produced by a larger knot.

I'm now hoping I can do even better than the 30mm tuxedo - I've since got the 30mm Cashmere knot and hope to set it in another custom handle. I'll let all know..

As many users here have both the cashmere and the tuxedo knot I was wondering if someone can make a comparison on the splays area.

I have a yaqi 26mm tuxedo knot which has a nice backbone and soft tips. I need to press with a bit force to splay it and I don't always make it splay in uniformity on my face.

How does this Ap cashmere do in the splay area ? Any comparison with the tuxedo knot?
I have the apshavco cashmere, angel hair and 3 tuxedos, two bulb and one fan shape. All of them splay easily for me with the cashmere and angel hair spaying easier. Both of them a very soft tp me but the ap and ah are the two softest brushes I have ever used. I have yet to try the timber wolf but hope to soon.
Smurf

So here’s another good looking variation presumably with the same fibres again.
It’s the Yaqi Evil Zebra:
88D08DAD-3D29-47F9-81E3-BC767A2D79FF.jpeg

26mm knot and what would you call those fibres?
Maybe “Reverse Tuxedo” or simply “Zebra”?

Zebra is not correct as the I don't see stripes. Reverse tuxedo seems a good name.

Let us know how it shaves @mjclark pls.

I would love to see Yaqi making a big cashmere brush, like the big Bruce brush model from razorock.

I would love to see Yaqi making a big cashmere brush, like the big Bruce brush model from razorock.
Yaqi make a 28mm Watermelon cashmere which is discussed earlier in this thread.
It takes a few uses to open up whereas the APSCo is good straight out of the box but the Watermelon Cashmere is now my favourite brush!
Here it is next to the APSCo:
image.jpg

My 30mm Cashmere in a custom handle handle. This knot/brush has usurped the tuxedo as my main. Excellent splay for me and I did not need the extra scrub from the tuxedo. It builds lather just as good with less scrub (unlike the tuxedo).
I'm back on the cashmere.
IMG_1504.JPG

I don't like the colored or marbled ones. Just give me plain black or clear ones.

My 30mm Cashmere in a custom handle handle. This knot/brush has usurped the tuxedo as my main. Excellent splay for me and I did not need the extra scrub from the tuxedo. It builds lather just as good with less scrub (unlike the tuxedo).
I'm back on the cashmere.
View attachment 873838

That looks like a real comfortable shape handle.

I thought this one was quite nice looking:

View attachment 873844

That shape is great. If he will sell it in just plain black or black with a white stripe, I will buy one.

I am thinking again about the APshave brush 30mm and the Yaqi cashmere 28. I am price oriented :)

The APshave is 30mm which is the size I want to try and has a nice shorter handle than the Yaqi one. The Yaqi is 28mm and I like the tuxedo 26mm that I have from them, but I am not fond of its tall handles. However yaqi is 10 USD cheaper when I compare the shopping costs.

You that have both of these brushes, which one would you get guys if you would start again?

I just ordered the APShave Cashmere and the Silk Smoke. Did I really need two more brushes? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking again about the APshave brush 30mm and the Yaqi cashmere 28. I am price oriented :)

The APshave is 30mm which is the size I want to try and has a nice shorter handle than the Yaqi one. The Yaqi is 28mm and I like the tuxedo 26mm that I have from them, but I am not fond of its tall handles. However yaqi is 10 USD cheaper when I compare the shopping costs.

You that have both of these brushes, which one would you get guys if you would start again?

I'd say go for the one you prefer and not base it on price. why?...

Synthetics generally last forever as their synthetic fibres are very resilient. My synthetics all look the same as they did on the first day.

Last edited:
I'd say go for the one you prefer and not base it on price. why?...

Synthetics generally last forever as their synthetic fibres are very resilient. My synthetics all look the same as they did on the first day.
I totally agree.
It’s got to the point now where all these modern synthetics are such good performers that the only real basis for choice is aesthetics.

Top Bottom