What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2022 Edition

This is a shaving game/challenge which was initiated last year by @BubblesUK and which we want to replicate this year as well.

The challenge is to show how cheaply a den can be begun (for less than the cost of common "starter" DE razors) and still provide satisfaction...

Oh, and to have fun!!

Big news - this year's challenge will allow for vintage stuff, so show us your 5 Dollar Toggle's, Bottom Dials and Red Dots! :)

Seriously, if you have a representative piece (Tech, Old Type, Gem, etc.) that reasonably often comes up for small change feel free to use it. Tell us where you see the price so Newbies can be on the outlook and use your own judgement on what to use and how you account for it in your budget.

Rules:

1) You have $30/EUR30 (or local equivalent)

2) You should account for everything required for April's shaves from this budget.

That is, whichever of the following you'll want/need to use: Razor, Blades, soap/stick/cream, shave oil, Brush, aftershave/balm, etc...
You aren't limited to just one of each, if you can get variety in within budget, go for it.

3) Don't factor in bulk discounts - if you're going to use (for example) 5/10/etc blades, budget for how much a tuck of 5/10/etc would cost (not how much they'd cost each when buying 100+).

Optional hard mode - if you order online you can either add the shipping costs or have the product costs only (we want to see budget friendly products for daily use even though ordering a single item on its own for this challenge might not be a sound economical decision)

4) You may use items you already own, or items loaned/PIF'd/etc, but include a current (new) price for them as if you were buying them for in the budget.

5) No using of sample sizes.

6) Regular sale prices are fine (some vendors have things constantly on sale to a certain extent) but try to avoid clearance/closeout prices

7) Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation") from the GRUYERE guys:

This is a 1 month challenge. In case of cabin fever, an occasion, birthdays, weddings, etc. you have ONE free shave with any kit you like. Just post a pic and tell us about it.

That's it!

So... If you're interested, post "I'm in" and tell us about your setup 🙂

Last edited:
I'm in

Current setup:

Razors: Turkish Yuma 6.95 and Gillette Super Blue 2.75
Blades: King C. Gillette 10 for 4.99
Brush: Omega 40099 boar 3.99
AS: CHH Tobacco 2.45
Soap/Cream: not yet decided - remaining budget 8.87

No budget savy shavers around? Let’s see if this will fly in April…

I have now added a soap and a cream for a total of 5.50 to complete my kit and still have 3.37 left.

364D9391-B8A8-461D-A27E-0ADB397D7513.jpeg

I am in.

Soap
Arko - Mine was a gift from a razor purchase a couple years ago but I found a stick on ebay for $3.43 with free shipping
Col. Conk Bay Rum - Mine is getting old but it can be had today for $4.63 on Amazon

Razor
Schick Korona - $1.99 from a thrift store (this was found at the bottom of a box of sockets, wrenches, etc.)
Gillette Tech - $5.00 One of four razors purchased for $20.00 at a Thrift Store
Gillette Blue - $3.24 on Ali Express

Blade
Gillette Wilkinson Sword $1.99 ebay
Gillette Blue (free with razor)
Shark Super Stainless $2.30 ebay (Don't know why this is more money the GWS is a better blade)

Brush
Wooden Handled Synthetic $2.99 Ali Express (best guess, I don't remember what I paid, but this one is close to the same)
Plastic Handled Synthetic $3.26 Ali Express (was part of a kit that is no longer available. Similar brush found on web site with free shipping)

The Arko is in a small Minion cereal bowl stolen from one of my grand children and the Col. Conk Bay Rum is in a storage bowl stolen from the kitchen.

I am at $28.83 and will have some variety as the month progresses.

The Gillette Blue Razor, Arko, and a tuck of GWS Blades would run $8.66 and easily last me two months. A fellow should be able to save some money doing this. What is wrong with me?

I am in.

Soap
Arko - Mine was a gift from a razor purchase a couple years ago but I found a stick on ebay for $3.43 with free shipping
Col. Conk Bay Rum - Mine is getting old but it can be had today for $4.63 on Amazon

Razor
Schick Korona - $1.99 from a thrift store (this was found at the bottom of a box of sockets, wrenches, etc.)
Gillette Tech - $5.00 One of four razors purchased for $20.00 at a Thrift Store
Gillette Blue - $3.24 on Ali Express

Blade
Gillette Wilkinson Sword $1.99 ebay
Gillette Blue (free with razor)
Shark Super Stainless $2.30 ebay (Don't know why this is more money the GWS is a better blade)

Brush
Wooden Handled Synthetic $2.99 Ali Express (best guess, I don't remember what I paid, but this one is close to the same)
Plastic Handled Synthetic $3.26 Ali Express (was part of a kit that is no longer available. Similar brush found on web site with free shipping)

The Arko is in a small Minion cereal bowl stolen from one of my grand children and the Col. Conk Bay Rum is in a storage bowl stolen from the kitchen.

I am at $28.83 and will have some variety as the month progresses.

The Gillette Blue Razor, Arko, and a tuck of GWS Blades would run $8.66 and easily last me two months. A fellow should be able to save some money doing this. What is wrong with me?
Great kit, no post shave?

Just plain water? Not even some Witch Hazel?
I just clean up with a damp wash cloth after shaving. I will admit that the Vitos I am using this month makes my face feel a little dry, but it is not too bad. I go in spurts, I will use aftershaves for years and then go years without touching one. Most of my soaps leave my face feeling pretty good.

I have also only been making two shave passes and quit preheating my shave water. I use to microwave a bowl of water for 48 seconds for shaving. I like it hot, but not leave a mark hot, and my bathroom faucet does not get hot enough without wasting a lot of water. Sometimes I miss the hot water and might bring it back in the near future. I would also frequently wipe my face with a microwaved damp towel (25 seconds on the hot towel).

At one point in time I considered putting a microwave in the bathroom just for shaving. Wonder how that would have affected the cost of this challenge? Could we say it was to remove the wives makeup? I went as far with this idea as to suggest it to the wife and surprisingly, she was fine with it. The wife said I could include the microwave and shelves for shave related equipment in the next bathroom remodel.

Now, I content myself with two pass hot tap water shaves and a hot water rinse.

Last edited:
I'm in...

20220307_153006.jpg

Lord LP1822L (Amazon $5.85)
Derby Extra (eBay $2.20)
Cella (50g sample, eBay $7.90)
Omega 10066 (eBay $10.00)
Witch Hazel (Big Lots $2.00)
After Shave Balm (Dollar Tree $1.25)

I've been waiting for this challenge since last May. Unfortunately the $1.49 puck of Williams Mug Soap is no longer available from Walgreens and almost impossible to find anywhere for a decent price.

I realize Rule #5 clearly states no using of sample sizes, but I'm trying to 3017 a hefty chunk of Cella. I can switch to Arko (eBay $3.43) for a month if needed.

EDIT: no favoritism for me... swapping out the Lord LP1822L for a Baili BD176 (AliExpress $9.06), and the Cella sample for an Arko soap stick (eBay $3.43). Oh, the sacrifices we make for the sake of the AFFCC :cool:

Last edited:
I'm in...

View attachment 1420721

Lord LP1822L (Amazon $5.85)
Derby Extra (eBay $2.20)
Cella (50g sample, eBay $7.90)
Omega 10066 (eBay $10.00)
Witch Hazel (Big Lots $2.00)
After Shave Balm (Dollar Tree $1.25)

I've been waiting for this challenge since last May. Unfortunately the $1.49 puck of Williams Mug Soap is no longer available from Walgreens and almost impossible to find anywhere for a decent price.

I realize Rule #5 clearly states no using of sample sizes, but I'm trying to 3017 a hefty chunk of Cella. I can switch to Arko (eBay $3.43) for a month if needed.

EDIT: no favoritism for me... swapping out the Lord LP1822L for a Baili BD176 (AliExpress $9.06), and the Cella sample for an Arko soap stick (eBay $3.43). Oh, the sacrifices we make for the sake of the AFFCC :cool:
Still in, but...

20220307_173753.jpg

Baili BD176 (AliExpress $9.10)
Astra SP (eBay $2.40)
Nivea Shave Stick (Amazon $4.50)
Omega 10066 (eBay $10)
Witch Hazel (BigLots $2)
After Shave Balm ($1.25)

If I'm going to temporarily abandon my 3017 quest, I might as well make it worthwhile. I bought the brush last year and the soap in January, but I've never used either of them. I get to start breaking in the brush and also use the soap without having to wait a year to finish the Cella brick. It should be a good month of exploration.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't usually engage in stuff like this, as I don't like the calendar or internet dictating my choices, but I am actually tempted to have a crack at this, purely for the nostalgia.

Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-razor-and-five-blades-5637.jpg

That is what I shaved with for 20 years. I still have mine, and they are currently available in the UK for £4.98. That's both razor and blade sorted. I have blades too, and won't need more than one or two to last a month.

As to lather, I still have roughly £17 left over, but I'll probably start off with simple bar soap (4 for £1), and upgrade later if I need to. Brush? Nah. Not needed.

That leaves me with a £16 contingency fund (70% of the original budget) should I start to struggle.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ha! Just had a practice swing, using that razor, bar soap, no brush, and a SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium on it's 11th shave. It was a doddle! I can easily romp though a month with that stuff.

EDIT:
Notice the 13 minute difference between posts. That includeD digging out the old razor, swapping over the blade, prep, two passes, clean up, and going back to type the second post 🤣

Ha! Just had a practice swing, using that razor, bar soap, no brush, and a SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium on it's 11th shave. It was a doddle! I can easily romp though a month with that stuff.

EDIT:
Notice the 13 minute difference between posts. That includeD digging out the old razor, swapping over the blade, prep, two passes, clean up, and going back to type the second post 🤣
Great to have you on board, Al! Last year most of us went with a fixed setup of one each which felt a bit boring at times. So having a bit of variety this year should make it more worthwhile and enjoyable.

Since I am in the fixed four for March, I would not want to deprive myself and use just one set for all of April as well.

Last year I had enrolled, but couldn't complete due to some external work factors.

I am leaning towards the following list. Several or all of these will fall well within 30 dollars.

I'll shortlist once I get the current price of everything and if it goes over $30.

Razors
1) Gillette sterling ($1.50)
2) Gillette click all plastic razor (50c)
3) pearl ssh-01 open/closed comb ($5 to $8)

Blade (any 3 tucks will cost a dollar)
1) Gillette Wilkinson India
2) Willys
3) RK chromium
4) Supermax
5) Gillette permasharp India

Brushes
1) Omega boar brush
2) synthetic brushes from india
3) local Indian wood handle boar brush (bila)

Soap
1) arko ($4 ?)
2) Williams ($1.5)
3) godrej shave round

Creams
1)Godrej (1$)
2) Yardley( $1)
3) vicco sandalwood turmeric ($1)

Post shave
1) Alum block
2) local after shave

I'll get the prices and update later on the final items.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I decided that using a cheap bar soap for a month, might leave my skin a little too dry. Particularly if I stick with what's on the sink now, and don't go shopping for something a little more moisturizing. So, I'll be upgrading the soap to a LEA stick. Still no brush.

That increases my soap value to £2, and with the razor and blades taking another £5, it still leaves me with a £15 contingency fund for the month. Note, I'm not actually buying additional stuff, just using budget items I already own.

Just a bump and if someone wants to read about last year’s madness :)

Reactions: bjm
Still in and finally satisfied with my AFFCC gear...

Omega 10066 ($10.00 eBay)
Derby Extra ($1.85 eBay)
Baili BD176 ($9.35 AliExpress)
Cella ($5.50 AliExpress)
Witch Hazel ($2.00 Big Lots)
Shave Balm ($1.25 Dollar Tree)
TOTAL COST: $29.95 USD

As some prices seem to change daily, I need to submit this now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom