April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2022 Edition

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic black plastic razor
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (5)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)
(No aftershave)

First attempt at a shave since my fall on Wednesday.

I'd survived a shopping trip with the help of my brother, earlier today. It was still rather tiring though, the parts I could do for myself, and I had to get my head down for a while once I got back.

The whole of my right hand side was stiff a plank when I got up, but the facial itch was getting more annoying than the soreness in the ribs, and I knew I had to at least attempt a shave. It was awkward and painful, but reasonably successful. I use the left hand to lather, but don't trust it to drive a razor, so the left hand was on rib supporting duty, while the right hand shaved.

Three days of growth is a lot for the Wilkie Classic. Not only is it a particularly mild razor, but it's not very open in terms of letting lather and stubble clear either. A few times, I slackened off the cap, to give a little more clearance for rinsing the detritus away. I also had to adopt short choppy strokes, almost to the level of the scrubbing action which some folks call buffing.

I feel better for it, but will be continuing to wait until the stubble gets irritating, before attempting to shave again. Hopefully the worst will be over within a couple of weeks.

Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (5)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)
(No aftershave)

First attempt at a shave since my fall on Wednesday.

I'd survived a shopping trip with the help of my brother, earlier today. It was still rather tiring though, the parts I could do for myself, and I had to get my head down for a while once I got back.

The whole of my right hand side was stiff a plank when I got up, but the facial itch was getting more annoying than the soreness in the ribs, and I knew I had to at least attempt a shave. It was awkward and painful, but reasonably successful. I use the left hand to lather, but don't trust it to drive a razor, so the left hand was on rib supporting duty, while the right hand shaved.

Three days of growth is a lot for the Wilkie Classic. Not only is it a particularly mild razor, but it's not very open in terms of letting lather and stubble clear either. A few times, I slackened off the cap, to give a little more clearance for rinsing the detritus away. I also had to adopt short choppy strokes, almost to the level of the scrubbing action which some folks call buffing.

I feel better for it, but will be continuing to wait until the stubble gets irritating, before attempting to shave again. Hopefully the worst will be over within a couple of weeks.
This is not live or death, please feel free to use whatever makes the task bearable. Also if you still want to stick to the rules you have one free shave with whatever you like. Maybe a nice OC?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This is not live or death, please feel free to use whatever makes the task bearable. Also if you still want to stick to the rules you have one free shave with whatever you like. Maybe a nice OC?

Thanks Hannes, but the razor itself, is the least challenging part of the shave at present. Besides which, I used that razor exclusively for 20 years, so I know how to coax it to do more than it wants to do :biggrin1:

I'm pretty sure I can sail through the month with that kit, although if I do go for a one-off shave with something else, I'll be sure to tell :thumbup1:

Still in...
Baili BT171 + Derby Extra (15)
Omega 13564 + Cella (brick)
Witch Hazel + Power Stick ASB

I had not planned to use the same blade for so long but I just haven't gotten around to changing it. I'll probably stick with it for another two or three shaves before swapping it out. There's no real rush since there's still so much more April yet to go. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
CCS/DFS - either my lather was off again or the KCG on its 6th shave is going downhill. No tugging but it took more effort to make it work. I will use it again in the Yuma and then decide on how to proceed. Also instead of the usual 1-2 the Omega 40099 lost 6 bristles today...

sotd.jpg

Really have not changed much. I am down to my wooden handled syndetic brush. I have used Col. Conk Bay Rum for all 11 of my shaves this month and have been using GWS blades in the Schick Korna and an old tech. I think I will switch to Arko soon and the Gillette Blue Razor with the Gillette Blue Blade.

I'm still going along as is the Dollar General blade. I'd put it above both Astras for my own personal use. At ~ $.25 they're not the cheapest, but it's nice to have a local option. The Bay Laurel soap scent is really starting to grow on me.
I have some of the made in Vietnam DG blades and as long as I don't try to hurry my shave they work decently well. I may not reach for them first, but I'm not afraid to put one in a razor if needed.

Last edited:
Just because I get bored and like change this morning I went ahead and shaved with my Pears face soap bar I have on my list for pre-shave purposes in this challenge. I've shaved with it in the past so it is one of the reasons I included it as a multi-tasker. This stuff really creates a good lather for a non-shave product. I was in a bit of a hurry so I really only did 2 passes and it is dangerously close to a BBS. Now I tend to credit the Gillette Rubie blade a little for that but I was more than satisfied with the lather the Pears produced.

Beyond that, my main issue is I am getting bored not being able to rotate my aftershaves but I think I can muscle through.

Really have not changed much. I am down to my wooden handled syndetic brush. I have used Col. Conk Bay Rum for all 11 of my shaves this month and have been using GWS blades in the Schick Korna and an old tech. I think I will switch to Arko soon and the Gillette Blue Razor with the Gillette Blue Blade.
I'm a bit envious of the amount of variety you were able to achieve and still come in under budget; that's the way to survive this month-long challenge with one's sanity intact. It's too late for me, save yourself! :cool:

I'm a bit envious of the amount of variety you were able to achieve and still come in under budget; that's the way to survive this month-long challenge with one's sanity intact. It's too late for me, save yourself! :cool:
'Variety' was the main thing I was worried about in this challenge :)

Just because I get bored and like change this morning I went ahead and shaved with my Pears face soap bar I have on my list for pre-shave purposes in this challenge. I've shaved with it in the past so it is one of the reasons I included it as a multi-tasker. This stuff really creates a good lather for a non-shave product. I was in a bit of a hurry so I really only did 2 passes and it is dangerously close to a BBS. Now I tend to credit the Gillette Rubie blade a little for that but I was more than satisfied with the lather the Pears produced.

Beyond that, my main issue is I am getting bored not being able to rotate my aftershaves but I think I can muscle through.
My choice of AS is also a bit of a disappointment. It was only 2.45 but for 3.00 I would have been able to get some Axe Smooth Cedarwood.

My choice of AS is also a bit of a disappointment. It was only 2.45 but for 3.00 I would have been able to get some Axe Smooth Cedarwood.
Yeah, I just went with plain witch hazel and a little Dove Men+Care lotion and used the $aving$ toward more soap/cream. What I am finding is that little blast of scent at the end of the shave from my favorite aftershaves is more important to my satisfaction with the shave as a whole than I originally thought.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (6)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)
Boots Freshwood aftershave

Managed another shave today.

The old skill set I used to have with this razor, is slowly returning. Vertical strokes only for the first pass, the pass with lather, then just residual slickness and a wet razor thereafter. Although in truth, it's not strictly a first pass, then subsequent passes, as if the lather removing swipe didn't feel quite as it should, I'll refine that area with a wet razor, before going back to the lathered areas.

It's all kind of freestyle, and feels quite liberating actually.

The main hang up from the years spent with the Jagger, is that this razor keeps defaulting to the wrong angle. That's largely due to the Jagger needing a different and go to the Wilkie, but may also be due to me restricting elbow movement due to the bruised ribs.

I'm starting to understand why I stuck with this razor for 20 years though. It just works - once you learn how to get the best from it. Yes, it's a ridiculously mild razor, yet here I am with a BBS shave. Sure, a metal razor feels like a more substantial item in hand, but despite years of use with the Jagger, I still can't throw it around my face with the same abandon that I can with the Wilkie.

The Jagger is certainly easier to clean though, and doesn't need the head loosening and frightening to get a thorough rinse occasionally. The Wilkie is prone to getting a little clogged. Although, having said that, the LEA stick hasn't been too problematic this month, so long as I work enough water in with my fingers. I think I've only needed to do that mid-shave, twice this month.

I went with the Pears soap again today because why not? Another close, comfortable shave. That's the lather remaining after a 3 pass shave. You can see evidence of what I see a lot of non-shave soap lather doing after a few minutes ... it starts getting what I call 'crispy' as the air bubbles pop and it loses moisture content.

Back to Old Spice shave cream tomorrow :)

IMG_6061.JPG

I'm still in. Here's the new stuff that I'm forgoing for you guys. A new Captain's Choice bowl, Captain's Choice shave cream, and a Stirling Soap. I'll probably use them for my free shave which will most likely be this Friday. It'll be Nisan 14, which is the anniversary of Jesus' last supper.

thumbnail_IMG_1067.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (7)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)

The shaves I'm getting with this very basic kit for the frugal challenge month, are very good. Today's was nothing short of excellent. Close, comfortable, effortless. They're just not particularly interesting.

Using a brush instead of wet fingers, using a shiny (beneath the soap scum :tongue_sm ) metal razor, and using differently scented soaps, does make it more of an "event", and something to discuss. It does nothing to improve on the quality of shave though.

On that basis, I nearly used today's shave as the one wild card shave, where we are allowed to break out the less frugal goodies. However, once I got to the bathroom, that no nonsense simplicity was exactly what I wanted, and the result was impeccable.

Swang the Old Spice shave cream back into service today. I had a wee bit too much water in the brush so the first coat of lather was a tad wettish, but that's my WTG pass and it went great regardless. The DE89 clone head is fairly forgiving so I wasn't worried about the lather. The second and third coats were perfect ... rich, thick, and protective. An A+ shave all around.

I've realized I don't usually use that particular brush on creams so I'm having to tweak my technique a little bit. It's a little fun to relearn some of these rarely used pieces of equipment in my collection.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (8)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)

Maybe a little overconfidence creeping in, perhaps. The aftershave suggested I may have overshaved slightly on the right hand side of the neck. Not a yelper, but just a little more feedback than I should get from that aftershave.

Top Bottom