What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2022 Edition

So the gear is ready, I will shave a little later on.
For a lather bowl I will use this month a Proraso tub that I've reclaimed from the bin.

SOTD.jpg

First shave in and it was a good one with some potential for improvement.

DFS+ close to BBS but 2 small weepers.

The Omega lost 2 bristles on the first outing and still has a faint boar funk that will be gone with the next 2-3 shaves. The KCG started crisp and smoothed out pretty immediately but that was no surprise as I shaved with this setup (Yuma&KCG) once before.

Making lather in the Proraso tub needs some adjustment, today it was a bit thick and pasty but still usable.

The biggest surprise was the AS. I expected a flowery Tabac clone on the cheap but it is an old school, tart and manly scent in the style of Clubman Special Reserve or Aramis. Not sure how SWMBO will like it during the month...

razor .. Baili BT171 .. ($9.40 AliExpress)
blade .. Derby Extra .. ($1.85 eBay)
brush .. Omega 13564 .. ($4.70 Pasteur Pharmacy)
soap ... Cella 150 ml . ($8.00 AliExpress)
splash . Witch Hazel .. ($2.00 Big Lots)
balm ... Power Stick .. ($1.25 Dollar Tree)
TOTAL COST: ~$27.20 USD (current as of 31 March)

AFFCC_2022.jpg

TLDR: April is finally here so let's get this party started!

I'm treating this month-long challenge as putting together a subjectively decent $30 DE shaving kit. I've already used the Gillette Tech (1938-1945) with the rest of this setup for five shaves this week and it has been wonderful. I'm switching to the Baili because the price of the Tech fluctuates so much and can't be guaranteed or verified from one day to the next. And to be quite honest, the Tech is just a great no-drama razor and doesn't present much of a shaving challenge for me so I'm attempting to add a bit of uncertainty into the mix.

I also would have preferred the Omega 10066 to the 13564 (not a fan of the handle but getting more comfortable with it), and an Arko stick to the Cella tub because of total cost. The reason I didn't go with Arko is I didn't want to lose a month of use while trying to 3017 my Cella brick as fast as possible and the current cost of the soap put the 10066 brush beyond the $30 budget.

Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow...

Just a heads up for those looking for options. I've been trying the razor blades from Dollar General under the "Studio Select" brand or something like it. They're decent and I believe 5 blades for a little over $1. I'm not seeing them on their website, but they might still be in stores.

I can't go a month because I like variety, but I'll try for what I can.

<SNIP>

I can't go a month because I like variety, but I'll try for what I can.
Are you sure? What did you do before you had multiple razors, soaps, and/or brushes?

I'm not judging; just asking a question :cool:
Edit: You would be able to read the expression on my face if we were sitting across the table from each other, but all I have to offer is that silly emoji and this brief (and possibly insufficient) explanation.

It can be difficult for some of us to stick with one shaving setup for a month now that we have the luxury of variety,, but it can be done. Of course it's your call, but I think your AFFCC contributions would be welcome.

Last edited:
Are you sure? What did you do before you had multiple razors, soaps, and/or brushes?

I'm not judging; just asking a question :cool:

It can be difficult for some of us to stick with one shaving setup for a month now that we have the luxury of variety,, but it can be done. Of course it's your call, but I think your AFFCC contributions would be welcome.
I used canned goo and disposable razors! :c9:

I've got a few different set ups that could slide under the $30 mark, so if I ignored the one kit part I could make it. I have used one razor for more than a month a few times. The KCG and SLOC are two and within the budget.

IMG_20220401_115940.jpg

First shave of April including a first use of Nivea Shave cream and Balm. LOTH likes the scent so that is a bonus. It was a nice comfortable shave. I only did a 2 pass because I shaved late yesterday.

I'll do my best to last the month and quite honestly after trying this gear it won't be a hardship. I bowl lathered the cream and there was plenty of lather and it had a nice slickness after the rinse between passes!

Edit to my setup. Subtract the Dollar Tree TTO, and add a Dove Men+Care soap bar. Left for a last minute trip to the mountains and didn’t bring all my ‘value’ kit. So I shaved with the Dove bar today ( I’ve used it before and it’s oddly adequate). I used an Astra SP blade that came with the razor
FD2F94C9-FCB3-4362-BBE9-06F4FA801E87.jpeg

I used my Dove bar again today since I'm still on a short vacation and away from some of the kit I originally had selected for this challenge. I made it a little wetter today and it responded well to that.

The coffee mug and brush don't match up well but I wanted something to replicate my shave bowl. The mug is just a tad too deep but for a $1 I'm not really put out and I just enjoy having warm lather from it.

I have a few dollars left to allocate and I think if I was looking at this long term I would add some face balm to add to the witch hazel so I may check out some options there. Any ideas on that from you all?

<SNIP>

I have a few dollars left to allocate and I think if I was looking at this long term I would add some face balm to add to the witch hazel so I may check out some options there. Any ideas on that from you all?
I'm using the Power Stick Balm available from Dollar Tree, but there are several inexpensive lotions and moisturizers you might consider. I have used Dove Men+Care, Lubriderm, and Nivea with satisfactory results. Good luck.

Still in!! No change to yesterday's setup. I need to work on my Tech skills especially on my lower neck. 2 passes on cheeks are great but even after 3 passes on the neck there are some spots that could use a little extra attention! That is what tomorrow is for :eek2:.

I'm using the Power Stick Balm available from Dollar Tree, but there are several inexpensive lotions and moisturizers you might consider. I have used Dove Men+Care, Lubriderm, and Nivea with satisfactory results. Good luck.
I’ll drop by a Dollar Tree and look at what they have. I think I remember them having a small tin of the Men+Care and also maybe Nivea. I don’t use much post shave but when I want some I do want it. A lot of my artisan soaps already have some of that built in, but I’m not using them during this challenge.

Today face and head shave with Cella Bio, excellent slickness, protection could be better.
The head was a challenge, the Gillette Tech has a very short handle compared to the Bamboo razorock handle I use for the head. Excellent post shave, soft and hydrated skin.

cella bio.jpg

Top Bottom