What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2022 Edition

I'm tempted to give this a bash. Possible kit could be:
Omega 10108 brush £7.80
Cella Red £3.90
Feather Popular £13.14
Kai (5 pack) £2.45
Leaving just £2.71 for aftershave..... hmmm....

Still in and finally satisfied with my AFFCC gear...

Omega 10066 ($10.00 eBay)
Derby Extra ($1.85 eBay)
Baili BD176 ($9.35 AliExpress)
Cella ($5.50 AliExpress)
Witch Hazel ($2.00 Big Lots)
Shave Balm ($1.25 Dollar Tree)
TOTAL COST: $29.95 USD

As some prices seem to change daily, I need to submit this now.
Fellow AFFCC participants, I could use your help... There's another April event that has caught my eye and I would like to participate. It requires the use of vintage (before 1970) razors for the entire month. Would any of you be able to suggest a vintage DE razor (preferably Gillette) that is typically available for less the $9.40 USD?

I was thinking Tech or TTO might be good candidates since the Goodwill and New razors usually cost a bit more and would exceed the $30 budget. Any ideas other than a Travel Tech?

Last edited:
Fellow AFFCC participants, I could use your help... There's another April event that has caught my eye and I would like to participate. It requires the use of vintage (before 1970) razors for the entire month. Would any of you be able to suggest a vintage DE razor (preferably Gillette) that is typically available for less the $9.40 USD?

I was thinking Tech or TTO might be good candidates since the Goodwill and New razors usually cost a bit more and would exceed the $30 budget. Any ideas other than a Travel Tech?
Tech or Old Type, maybe the head only if you have an odds and ends handle from previous lots. Would a Knack meet the age requirements?

Tech or Old Type, maybe the head only if you have an odds and ends handle from previous lots. Would a Knack meet the age requirements?
Thanks. I have two ball-end Techs that should meet the requirements. One has triangular lather channels and the other oval channels. I purchased them a few years ago and have no idea how much they cost; they most likely came from eBay and could have been part of a lot or bought individually.

I'm almost certain that I'm giving this far too much thought. This challenge is supposed to be fun, but unfortunately I have a habit of reading too much into a situation.

I honestly believe either of the Techs will meet the budget limit. If not, I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it. If I were to offer them for sale today, I wouldn't expect to ask for or receive more than $10 including postage for either of them. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have two ball-end Techs that should meet the requirements. One has triangular lather channels and the other oval channels. I purchased them a few years ago and have no idea how much they cost; they most likely came from eBay and could have been part of a lot or bought individually.

I'm almost certain that I'm giving this far too much thought. This challenge is supposed to be fun, but unfortunately I have a habit of reading too much into a situation.

I honestly believe either of the Techs will meet the budget limit. If not, I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it. If I were to offer them for sale today, I wouldn't expect to ask for or receive more than $10 including postage for either of them. Thanks again.
Triangular slots mean pre 45 and a bit more efficient than the post war ones. A very fine shaver, you will like it.

I found a new and unused Omega 10275 boar brush sitting in a drawer. I did a price search and found one at Pasteur Pharmacy for $5.29 with free shipping. So, final answer...

Omega 10275 ($5.30 Pasteur Pharmacy)
Derby Extra ($1.85 eBay)
Cella ($5.50 AliExpress)
Witch Hazel ($2.00 Big Lots)
Shave Balm ($1.25 Dollar Tree)
TOTAL COST: $15.90 USD

Gillette Tech (~$10) with room to spare :cool:

I don't know if I can last a month but I can commit to a week!

Preshave: Hot shower $ 0
Razor: Prewar Tech ~ $ 10
Shave Cream: Nivea Protect and Care $ 4.98 ( Amazon )
Aftershave: Nivea Protect and Care $ 8.99 ( Amazon )
Brush: Omega 10065 $ 12.65 ( Amazon )
Blade: Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum $ 1.59 ( PAA )

Total: $ 38.21 CAD = $ 30.45 USD = 27.69 Euro
IMG_20220323_114417__01.jpg

Last edited:

Total: $ 38.21 CAD = $ 30.45 USD = 27.69 EuroView attachment 1428241
Wow Nivea here is approximately EUR 1.50 per tube and the balm goes for 4-5.

Last edited:

Total: $ 38.21 CAD = $ 30.45 USD = 27.69 EuroView attachment 1428241
This is just me and my opinion so take it for what it's worth...

The challenge is to show how cheaply a den can be begun (for less than the cost of common "starter" DE razors) and still provide satisfaction...

You've put together a kit within the specified budget that can easily last an entire month. If you choose to only use it for a week, so be it. I just participated in the "One Blade in February" challenge and used one blade every day for the entire month. Some participants shaved every other day, some maybe once a week, but most completed the challenge; the idea (I think) is/was to offer positive support and have fun.

As you can see from others and my many (maybe too many) posts there are several inexpensive options available. I think that's the message that is being communicated with this challenge; not how long one can actually endure a budget kit.

This is probably my favorite (DecemBoar is a close second) challenge. Once I settle on a kit (any day now), I don't need to make another shaving gear decision until May.

This is just me and my opinion so take it for what it's worth...

The challenge is to show how cheaply a den can be begun (for less than the cost of common "starter" DE razors) and still provide satisfaction...

You've put together a kit within the specified budget that can easily last an entire month. If you choose to only use it for a week, so be it. I just participated in the "One Blade in February" challenge and used one blade every day for the entire month. Some participants shaved every other day, some maybe once a week, but most completed the challenge; the idea (I think) is/was to offer positive support and have fun.

As you can see from others and my many (maybe too many) posts there are several inexpensive options available. I think that's the message that is being communicated with this challenge; not how long one can actually endure a budget kit.

This is probably my favorite (DecemBoar is a close second) challenge. Once I settle on a kit (any day now), I don't need to make another shaving gear decision until May.
No decisions in until May!! Now you can save decisions for the important stuff!!

I'm GRUMING and in Shave Trek so I had to rummage through what I already had! Ok, I may have stocked up in December to make sure I had enough stuff to last a year! I overstocked :eek2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All set!

20220323_170643.jpg

I have half a bottle of (£3) Boots Freshwood aftershave, a £2 LEA stick, and a £5 razor and blade combo (which probably cost a lot less when I bought it in the early 90's). That's a full shave kit for £10 ($13), leaving me a £13 contingency fund, should I get frustrated along the way.

None of these were bought for this challenge (we're being frugal, right?), and both the soap and aftershave are half used. It is a full tuck of blades, but I'll probably only need one blade for the month. I typically get about 20 shaves from one, and am not a strict daily shaver.

I'm not sure how I'll feel about going a month without a brush, but the contingency fund will be able to fix it, if it becomes a problem.

So I won’t use the Rasozero Barbacco in April as I feel it’s not protective enough.
Pro —>my budget increased by 4.00
Con —>I have to find something once the Nivea cream is gone

Possible candidates:

Palmolive Stick 2.50 but discontinued
Palmolive Sensitive cream 4.00
Wilkinson Cream 2.00

@Multum in parvo can we change up the gear week to week as long as we stick to frugal aspect of the challenge?
The sum of your equipment used in April has to be under 30.00 so no swapping of gear once you have set it. Unused funds can be used during April for variety up to the full budget.

I have picked 2 razors so I will use them alternately but will have to stick to my only brush.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

*SOLD!*

lol, yes, just have fun.

By the way, I was GIVEN, for FREE a Timeless Bronze open comb.

Does that count as $0.00 @Multum in parvo , my Latin Friend?

Top Bottom