What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

I did, however, get a Chrome Piccolo to add to my Fatip collection. I'm fighting the desire to use it, but I'm committed to April Frugal Follies. The Baili Victory 176 hits way above its price point.

I was going to make fun of you for buying another Fatip, but then I remembered my RR Teck II (Baili 191/176) collection... 😋

proxy.php

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thursday, April 15
AFFCC #6

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Omega 10290
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
ASL: Aqua Velva
ASB: Nivea balm

Tonight's shave was marvelous. Every little thing in the kit came together for a Close Comfortable Shave.
As @Raven Koenes says, this razor performs way above it's price point.

20 swirls of a damp Omega 10290 in the tub of Vitos and a generous amount of water in the mixing bowl provided a perfectly hydrated and slick lather for a full ATG first pass.
The razor is so mild I could almost not feel the blade, but there was plenty of audible feedback.
The second pass was XTG followed by a final ATG cleanup pass with mostly ghost lather and water.

Without Witch hazel to prepare my face for the ASL splash, the Aqua Velva provided a nice burn 🔥 on contact, then cooling, the Nivea balm soothing.

20210415_202417[1].jpg

My tease of the day is an E2 Schick Injector with Schick blades. It is also a great little razor in it's own right! :cornut:

AFFCC : Friday, April 16, 2021

Blade # 2
Shave # 3
AFFCC Shave # 11

Razor : Pearl A-141 Tiranga (Indian tri-color) open comb

Blade : Gillette Wikinson Sword Saloon Pack
Cream : Yardley of London Aloe Vera
Brush: Pearl Synthetic
Post shave: Alum block + Sacred Earth Aftershave

Third shave today on the Gillette Wikilnson Sword Saloon Pack Blade.

Silky smooth blade but definitely a notch less sharp than the second shave. Felt in the category of "three and done" feel.

I get two more shaves with my Pearl Flexi V2 with this blade as it is an adjustable. I'll see how tomorrow's shave goes in a fixed geometry razor !!

My turn to put in a "temptation resisted" razor today.

It's the Razorock Mamba .53 with a titanium handle. I was happily using it with a Gillette 7OC Super platinum black on its second shave in February when I enrolled for the Fixed Four March Madness with the Pearl Flexi V2 razor.

A fantastic underdog razor. Mild, but gives a close DFS to BBS buttery smooth skin wiht a sharp blade. My chin would have a patch which I had to struggle with earlier due to the thick coarse hair, but I have a goatee now- hence makes a fantastic daily shaver!

Temptation resisted ! :pipe:
20210416_233640.jpg

Last edited:
After 2 months of fixed or nearly fixed setups I will declare Fruitsalad May - anything goes.
Aside from blades I will not use the same piece of hard- or software more than once in combination.
I will try out:
+ all my accumulated soap samples
+ all new razors from the last two months
+ find new soap/AS pairings from my stock
+ maybe mix a batch out of the Bootleggers series
+ try new blades from my sample stock

After 2 months of fixed or nearly fixed setups I will declare Fruitsalad May - anything goes.
Aside from blades I will not use the same piece of hard- or software more than once in combination.
I will try out:
+ all my accumulated soap samples
+ all new razors from the last two months
+ find new soap/AS pairings from my stock
+ maybe mix a batch out of the Bootleggers series
+ try new blades from my sample stock

This. Me too. March and April while being enlightening and good shaves has seen the rest of the hardware and software gather dust.

I like to call this

Month of Mega Immoderation and Shaving Mayhem ! (MMISM):letterk1:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Saturday, April 17
AFFCC #7

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)

Tonight the shave was ok.

The damp Omega mixed a nice lather and first pass was ATG, the Gillette Platinum starting to show some wear.

I could barely feel the blade, but there was plenty of audible feedback and it was starting to tug a bit.
The second pass was XTG face and WTG neck.

The Aqua Velva gave me a blast, the Nivea balm soothed.

I binned the blade.

20210417_185211[1].jpg

It has been awhile since I had an SR shave.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I stopped by Walgreens looking for the new Cremo shaving sticks and found these in their shaving section for $5.99 next to a King C Gillette Razor for $29.95. I already have a Heritage, but grabbed the blades to try. The box says made in Russia.
At $3.00 a tuck I could use these instead of Gillette Platinum blades without breaking the bank and I do need a fresh blade for my next shave.... :letterk1:

20210417_185314[1].jpg

AFFCC - Day 18, Shave 15

Baili 191
Derby Extra (15)
Anbbas synthetic
Palmolive
Alum

So, after a couple of days without shaving, how would the Baili coupled with a well used Extra get on?

Just fine.

No difficulty mowing down the extra growth, no tugging, no clogging... Completely uneventful, as if it were just another daily shave.

Temptation of the day?
The beautiful RFB New again... And again resisted!

20210418_224442.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Baili Victory 176
Blade: Silver Star (7)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: LEA Menthol
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
032_22.jpg

The shave was nice. It was a bbs with a dfs on my neck. Is shaving with the Baili Victory the straw that breaks the camels back of my minimalism? Add 1 Baili to 32 Fatips and bam it's over? :yikes: :blink: :crying:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Monday, April 19
AFFCC #8

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: King C Gillette(1)

I decided to try a King C Gillette blade in my DE1 today because it is something that you can find on the shelf of Walgreens. Ten blades for $5.99 is still cheaper that a 5 blade tuck of Feather Hi Stainless, and I don't think you are going to find them in your local grocery store.

The blade was smooth and sharp enough that I didn't notice a weeper on my neck from the first ATG pass on my neck until I was shaving my face. It was more of a dot than a weeper, needing no alum or styptic.

A nice two pass shave was had from the economy kit, and I found a nice tool to get rid of those nasty wax dots on the blades too. An old ipod key for replacing the battery!
20210419_132805[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, April 21
AFFCC #9

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: King C Gillette(2)

Another pretty nice shave in the books for the DE1 as it continues to perform above what it's entry level price would suggest.
I'm finding that with a sharp enough blade there is a chance of weepers, as the Russian made King C Gillette blades are definitely sharp. They are also comfortable and smooth, during the shave.
After the shave the Aqua Velva has a more pronounced burn than with the Gillette Platinum blades.
The shave was close, my face is smooth and my neck needs a day off.

20210421_191109[1].jpg

I just checked out Maggards has a $31.99 special on a basic DE starter kit, razor, brush, soap, and blades.

For today's tease this is my Fatip Collection. From what I understand this collection can be considered minimalistic in some circles.

Piccolo SE, Piccolo Mk1, Gold Grande, Black Grande Mk1, Gold Grande, Schöne
20210420_204318[1].jpg

Chrome Lo Storto Testina Originale, Chrome Lo Storto Testina Originale (Jekyll and Hyde)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Wednesday, April 21
AFFCC #9

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: King C Gillette(2)

Another pretty nice shave in the books for the DE1 as it continues to perform above what it's entry level price would suggest.
I'm finding that with a sharp enough blade there is a chance of weepers, as the Russian made King C Gillette blades are definitely sharp. They are also comfortable and smooth, during the shave.
After the shave the Aqua Velva has a more pronounced burn than with the Gillette Platinum blades.
The shave was close, my face is smooth and my neck needs a day off.

20210421_191109[1].jpg

I just checked out Maggards has a $31.99 special on a basic DE starter kit, razor, brush, soap, and blades.

For today's tease this is my Fatip Collection. From what I understand this collection can be considered minimalistic in some circles.

Piccolo SE, Piccolo Mk1, Gold Grande, Black Grande Mk1, Gold Grande, Schöne
20210420_204318[1].jpg

Chrome Lo Storto Testina Originale, Chrome Lo Storto Testina Originale (Jekyll and Hyde)
All Fatip collections are minimalist. The more of them you own the number always stays the same, minimal! That's the beauty of it. Now off to try to convince the minimalist to let me join their club. It should be an easy sell.

Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Omega Pro 49 (10049)
Soap : Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Balm : Duke Cannon - Ice Cold

SWS_20210411.jpg

Still rockin' the same kit I started the month with. Close and comfortable shaves with this setup have just become automatic at this point. I guess I've just become so accustomed to the gear that each shave is enjoyable and yet uneventful.

I've been considering a different brush simply because of the loft of the Omega 10049. I prefer a short loft ideally between 52mm and 57mm. So I've been looking at another $10 alternative for the AFFCC. I like the knot and loft of the Omega 10065 boar (left).

1619100647005.png 1619100871740.png 1619100946708.png

There's nothing like a boar after a few weeks of lathers, but I was also thinking a synthetic might be a better choice for a month-long fixed setup so I took a peek at the Omega S-Brush 10018 (middle) and the Omega 90065 (right) offerings.

I think I would prefer the bristles of the 10018 and the handle of the 90065 to mimic the look and feel of the 10065, but that combination is currently unavailable as far as I know.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom