What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Omega Pro 49 (10049)
Soap : Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Balm : Duke Cannon - Ice Cold

View attachment 1255366

Still rockin' the same kit I started the month with. Close and comfortable shaves with this setup have just become automatic at this point. I guess I've just become so accustomed to the gear that each shave is enjoyable and yet uneventful.

I've been considering a different brush simply because of the loft of the Omega 10049. I prefer a short loft ideally between 52mm and 57mm. So I've been looking at another $10 alternative for the AFFCC. I like the knot and loft of the Omega 10065 boar (left).

View attachment 1255349 View attachment 1255354 View attachment 1255357

There's nothing like a boar after a few weeks of lathers, but I was also thinking a synthetic might be a better choice for a month-long fixed setup so I took a peek at the Omega S-Brush 10018 (middle) and the Omega 90065 (right) offerings.

I think I would prefer the bristles of the 10018 and the handle of the 90065 to mimic the look and feel of the 10065, but that combination is currently unavailable as far as I know.

Any thoughts?
I use the Omega 10108 for this month and am quite happy with it. I also used the S10077 once that looks like your middle one 10018? and while doable the scrub of the boar won out.

The 10051 boar with a 24/48 knot could work as well if you like a shorter loft.

I think I would prefer the bristles of the 10018 and the handle of the 90065 to mimic the look and feel of the 10065, but that combination is currently unavailable as far as I know.
The Omega S10065 is my favorite synthetic brush:
Omega-S10065_2021-04-22.jpg

The knot on mine measures 25/55.

It's on sale at Maggard's (their measurements are a little different). :wink2:

Still in. No shave today with the same kit. Shaving every two to three days until my chin toughens up or get a better grip on how to shave around it. I have been getting BBS shaves from this inexpensive setup, but I have also been donating a little blood each time. I am sure it is a technique thing and I will work through it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Any thoughts?
Omega 10066

Reactions: bjm

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Is there a difference between the 10065 and 10066 other than the color of the handle?
The 10066 is 24mm with 56 loft. If you like a shorter loft, the 10290 is 24mm with 48 loft.
I'm using an Omega 10290 for the AFFCC, it is a lather monster.

Reactions: bjm

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Friday, April 23
AFFCC #10

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: King C Gillette(3)
Brush: Omega 10290
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
ASL: Aqua Velva
ASB: Nivea balm

The standout in tonight's shave was the King C Gillette, on it's 3rd shave feels as sharp as the first and smoothed out even more.
With the DE1 holding the blade rigid I was able to lightly buff to my heart's content ATG. The key is to keep the angle neutral and the razor will cut with very little pressure.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention how well the Vitos took on water after getting the lather started in the bowl and finishing on my face.
Of course the Aqua Velva delivered a blast with a very nice cooling effect followed by the Nivea balm to sooth the savage beast, a very nice close shave was had.

No Fatip razors were used during testing.
20210423_225129[1].jpg

For tonight's tease, my shave with this DE1 from last year.

Sunday, December 6, 2020
Razor: DE1 @Rosseforp bronze handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum(13)
Brush: Omega Black Silvertip
Soap: AdP Colonia
ASL: the "Veg"
20201206_205242[1].jpg

I believe the razor was $2.00 and the blades $3.50. Great travel razor!
View attachment 1256164

Yes this. Great for a multi day shave as irs open comb. It's not a sharp razor. It's more flimsy than a disposable. I think its expensive for the flimsy quality, but Great travel razor. I've had the razor head part which holds the blade break on me several times in the dopp bag during travel.

AFFCC - Day 24, Shave 21

Baili 191
Derby Extra (21)
Anbbas synthetic
Palmolive
Alum

So, still going strong on the original Extra - my observations early on have pretty much strengthened as time has gone by, the razor is excellent, the blade suits it very well and the Palmolive is perfectly usable... The brush is still about as scratchy as I can tolerate, it's okay but considering its barely cheaper than bottom rung omega's it's probably not worth it.

Today's temptation... There's a touch of heresy about it, perhaps.

I bought this one last week because the comb was straight and it was reasonably cheap - the handle was missing it's ball-end and half the tube had been cut off at some point in the past (not recently)... But it's a New, and I just like them.
So, using the threaded top part of the handle, I spent some wind down hours today crafting a replacement for it - it could be heavier (although the timber is a particularly dense Rosewood so about as good as it gets for this) but the shape is subtly curved in just the right place to grip right on the balance point, so I've got high hopes for it feeling right in use!!

The head I've cleaned up first with soap and then with 2000 grit wet & dry - it's left a slightly satin finish that I actually quite like.

This isn't one for the purist, but I'm really keen to give it a whirl!!

Perhaps the hardest to resist yet, all things considered... But I managed it.

Gillette New LC (English, US style base) - resisted.

20210424_222150.jpg

20210424_222128.jpg

20210424_222107.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Baili Victory 176
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: LEA Menthol
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
038_22.jpg

I was sorely tempted to use my new Fatip Piccolo Cr today. I didn't, but it got me to thinking. The current kit I'm using wouldn't be the current kit if some items were removed. The more items I removed the less it would be my current kit. That got me to thinking about the three piece Baili Victory 176 razor. If I removed the handle, the handle by itself is the least useful item that makes up the razor. Attach the handle and its usefulness grows quite considerably. A bit of logic brought to you courtesy of Rave. Oh, my shave with a fresh Silver Star was smooth, comfortable, and very enjoyable.

AFFCC - Day 25, Shave 22

Baili 191
Derby Extra (22)
Anbbas synthetic
Palmolive
Alum

All is still very much happy in my frugal journey - if this weren't a hobby, I could live with this kit quite happily (the only thing I'd be likely to upgrade is the brush).

I'm missing swirling the brush around a puck of soap - something about using cream instead takes a little away from the ritual of it all... It works, but it's not the same.

I'm definitely going to enjoy a month of variety in May (although it's been fun rolling together and seeing how everyone's got on with their frugal kits!).

So today's temptation then...

Another of my recently acquired New types, so I haven't used this yet either - I love the LC's I've used, so hopefully I'll like this SC too!
Good general condition although more cleaning and a good polish wouldn't go amiss... This was far easier to resist than yesterday's given less time and effort invested in it.

20210425_212659.jpg

20210425_211002.jpg

Top Bottom