What's new

April Acquisitions

Be strong?
The weather has turned nastily warm, as I knew it would. It's a lot less enticing to smoke when you have to sweat. I have a feeling I will be using my pipes a bit less, mostly weekend mornings. So I don't know if it's worth my while right now. But the pipe is pretty nice. . . .

My Altinay meerschaum spigot arrived. Same pattern(except for the front) as the Long Island Pipe Club's pipe of the year (I missed out on the group buy).

proxy.php

proxy.php

For the last day of April (payday for me), I went ahead with that Savinelli 404 Pocket Rusticated pipe with the acrylic stem --

-- and a new 1.5 oz. pouch of Half & Half. There goes most of my credit account with them! Though I have 2 or 3 members of the current clutch of pipes I plan to sell to them, so that will build things up a bit.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
For the last day of April (payday for me), I went ahead with that Savinelli 404 Pocket Rusticated pipe with the acrylic stem --

-- and a new 1.5 oz. pouch of Half & Half. There goes most of my credit account with them! Though I have 2 or 3 members of the current clutch of pipes I plan to sell to them, so that will build things up a bit.
Nice pipe! If it's recent production, you'll get the 6mm adapter in lieu of a sample filter, which is a better deal.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It says 6mm filter. But I can take that out, right?

It takes a filter, and will be bored for one on both shank and stem. You can run it without a filter. In a 6mm model, they will normally draw ok without filter or adapter. But there are exceptions. They make the adapters for a reason if you go filterless. The draw performance will be better with an adapter, and the shank will stay a little bit cleaner and drier.

On their higher end pipes, Sav includes the adapter. It is normally a couple extra dollars if not included. I know TP sells them. SP may, too.

There has been a halt on balsa imports to Italy, so Savinelli is not shipping the usual sample filters they include with their filter models. The Sav 6mm balsa filter is a good one as filters go, and will definitely keep that shank from getting soggy.

It takes a filter, and will be bored for one on both shank and stem. You can run it without a filter. In a 6mm model, they will normally draw ok without filter or adapter. But there are exceptions. They make the adapters for a reason if you go filterless. The draw performance will be better with an adapter, and the shank will stay a little bit cleaner and drier.

On their higher end pipes, Sav includes the adapter. It is normally a couple extra dollars if not included. I know TP sells them. SP may, too.

There has been a halt on balsa imports to Italy, so Savinelli is not shipping the usual sample filters they include with their filter models. The Sav 6mm balsa filter is a good one as filters go, and will definitely keep that shank from getting soggy.
I didn't order an adapter -- I didn't know it was needed. I can write to SP and ask.

I didn't order an adapter -- I didn't know it was needed. I can write to SP and ask.
They say it should come with a 6mm to 3mm adapter. Nick says, "If you decide to smoke this pipe unfiltered, it isn't necessary that you have to use the adapter and smoke the pipe without it. The drilling on a 6mm pipe is still small enough where you don't need to worry about sucking ash or tobacco back through the pipe while smoking but if you choose not to use the adapter it will have greater airflow while smoking."

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
They say it should come with a 6mm to 3mm adapter. Nick says, "If you decide to smoke this pipe unfiltered, it isn't necessary that you have to use the adapter and smoke the pipe without it. The drilling on a 6mm pipe is still small enough where you don't need to worry about sucking ash or tobacco back through the pipe while smoking but if you choose not to use the adapter it will have greater airflow while smoking."

I’ve smoked them with and without. An adapter isn’t necessary. But it will draw smoother with one. An open filter chamber on a Sav won’t offer any better airflow due to the 3mm bowl and stem airways. The balsas and adapters are free-flowing. What you’ll have running one naked is a turbulence chamber.

You’ll need to keep up with shank cleaning either naked or with a filter on those, because the Sav balsas run the draw around the element, as opposed to through it on a charcoal or paper element.

Cobs and Grabows are a different story. On those, the usual paper filters will restrain airflow a little. Those ones I do prefer to smoke naked.

At least it’s not a 9.

I smoke my sav bing and a puento oro without a filter or adapter all the time. Draw can be loose on the puento oro but is fine with the bing. I just expect it.

. . .
You’ll need to keep up with shank cleaning either naked or with a filter on those, because the Sav balsas run the draw around the element, as opposed to through it on a charcoal or paper element. . . .
I run a pipe cleaner through each pipe right after I finish smoking. After it has cooled, I break it down and run another cleaner soaked in vanilla extract through the stem, shank, and bowl, and let the parts air dry for at least 48 hours before using it again. So I think I'm on top of the cleaning regimen.

Top Bottom