What's new

April 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

20220401_153736-01.jpeg

Still in 😉 and it's good to be back.

Lovely shave today. I've chosen my 1961 Gillette 1.95 Adjustable aka the Fat Boy for the first stage of Adjustable April.

Two passes (wtg on setting 5, atg on 9) with some extended touch ups. These two first passes mowed down two days worth of growth like nobody's business. I dialed the setting down to 3 for the touchup strokes, which went super smooth. I hardly could feel the blade. Unfortunately I missed one stubble spot on the jaw line, since otherwise the result had easily been a true bbs shave. Anyway, an almost bbs result without any skin irritation has to be considered a great start, I'd say.

The weekend 's near... hang in there!

First Shave of the Month

A relaxing Standard Triple-Pass shave this morning to closeout the work-week.
Smooth DFS+ within a 20min Meditation
  • Simpson's Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil
  • Truefitt's Sandalwood Soap (SOTMC)
  • Simpson Duke 3 - Best
  • Mühle R89
  • Crystal (13)
  • Thayer's Lavender Toner
  • Pinaud Clubman A/S
  • Nivea Soothing Post Balm
F71A968D-46B7-4ABA-9855-FEBF21373EA3.jpeg

Day 1, 3.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

A good start to the month. I don't set out to get a BBS neck, having learned the hard way what "let's try another pass" will do there, but my standard shave got quite close today.

I think getting used to the more efficient .84 Game Changer is paying off.

A few more varieties of Simpson brushes are popping up on Amazon.

When I was a kid I got a pretty accurate looking M.I.B. Neutralizer from a Happy Meal but I don't recall it ever working (granted, if it did work I'd have no idea right?) Could use something like that right about now...

20220402_085743-01.jpeg
Still in.

And out of the nothing, the winter's back in Germany...

"April, April - er macht, was er will".
That's the matching german saying (means weather-wise, you have to expect surprises in course of April)🤪

Today I had the inauguration shave with the Rex Konsul, which made me stumble in March Grume.

The initial shave fulfilled my high expectation. Smoothness meets an "upper medium high" level of efficiency, that's the summary in short and exactly what I had hoped for. So overall, an excellent debut shave. BBS. Very nice.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Last edited:
4 2 22.jpg

Still in! Winter throwback.

For some reason I thought I misplaced my Simpson Special but found it in its travel tube. Dumb feelings aside, it's good to use it again. A quick glance at the Simpson website and it's still not listed on there unfortunately. It would be a shame if they stopped making it.

View attachment 1433132Still in.

And out of the nothing, the winter's back in Germany...

"April, April - er macht, was er will".
That's the matching german saying (means weather-wise, you have to expect surprises in course of April)🤪

Today I had the inauguration shave with the Rex Konsul, which made me stumble in March Grume.

The initial shave fulfilled my high expectation. Smoothness meets an "upper medium high" level of efficiency, that's the summary in short and exactly what I had hoped for. So overall, an excellent debut shave. BBS. Very nice.

Have a great weekend, y'all!
Funny to see that wight fluffy stuff making its way north east in Europe

Still In
SOTM #02

Was expecting to skip today given a morning double-header for my daughter. We learned only after completing the early prep and traversing 45 minutes that the match was rescheduled due to Spring Break. All you can do is roll with the punches; and have a team brunch at IHOP.

Took the opportunity to switch things up a bit after Fixed-Four. A TriplePass shave this afternoon with the R41 was just what the Dr Ordered.

BBS wrapped within a 30min Meditation - so good...
  • Pinaud’s Pre-Shave Oil
  • Truefitt's Sandalwood Soap (SOTMC)
  • Simpson Special S1 - Pure Badger
  • Mühle R41
  • Nacet (4)
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • B&M Full Measure of Man A/S
  • No Post Balm

Yesterday on restock day finally ordered what I think is a nice brush from QED which will replace my Frank Shaving 3 band Silvertip, which is going to my 15 year old son. Now just got to wait for it to be delivered to 🇬🇧. Wonder how long that will take 😬😬😬😬

Top Bottom