What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm still in. I didn't shave yesterday, and although I took a photo of Sunday's shave I forgot to post it. So here you go. I love the Santa Maria del Fiore soap and splash. The soap is an outstanding quality soap, and the scent is a springtime delight, though it is an easy one to overdo. I find Razorock aftershaves to be at least cologne strength, if not EDT strength.

sotd apr 12.jpeg

Still in

Pre-Shave geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food & Proraso Green shaving cream
Lather Proraso Green shaving cream & Geo f Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Brush Wilkinson Sword Classic Brush
Bowl Anbbas
Razor 1950s Gillette Ball Handle Tech
Blade Tiger Platinum (1)
Post-shave hot & cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Results Bbs face, dfs neck no cuts, irritation etc. Minimal Alum block feedback 9.5/10

20210413_100502.jpg

When I ordered my skin food the seller, the Executive Shaving Company, stated in the product description that skin food can be added to the soap to add extra glide to the shave. Today I finally got around to giving it a try and it definitely made the lather smoother than normal. This is probably the best lather that I have mixed so far in my shave journey.

When I ordered my skin food the seller, the Executive Shaving Company, stated in the product description that skin food can be added to the soap to add extra glide to the shave. Today I finally got around to giving it a try and it definitely made the lather smoother than normal. This is probably the best lather that I have mixed so far in my shave journey.

Skinfood to make the lather slicker? My, my! What else are they going to invent! I thought it was enough to add a drop of glycerine to achieve the same. They sell bottles of glycerine in pharmacy. But i suspect the "skinfood" costs much more.

EDIT: And, oh! Truly, a revelation! Going to the Eucris skin Food website, the price is £15 for 100ml and in the ingredient list, 1st is water, 2nd is...drum roll...glycerin!

Ingredients
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Astragalus Gummifer Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Menthol, Evernia Furfuracea Extract, Coumarin.

Skinfood to make the lather slicker? My, my! What else are they going to invent! I thought it was enough to add a drop of glycerine to achieve the same. They sell bottles of glycerine in pharmacy. But i suspect the "skinfood" costs much more.

If memory serves me correctly Glycerine is is one of the ingredients of Geo F Trumpers Skinfood. It is likely that it is the glycerin that is producing this effect. It is also the glycerin that is the reason why I use it as a pre-shave, it is quite a versatile product. Yet when I first encountered it during my cartridge shaving days, I dismissed it with the words "just a moisturiser" and "unmanly"...Without even bothering to try it 🤣

If memory serves me correctly Glycerine is is one of the ingredients of Geo F Trumpers Skinfood. It is likely that it is the glycerin that is producing this effect. It is also the glycerin that is the reason why I use it as a pre-shave, it is quite a versatile product. Yet when I first encountered it during my cartridge shaving days, I dismissed it with the words "just a moisturiser" and "unmanly"...Without even bothering to try it 🤣

Well...About unmanly things in shaving... Let's say that, you 'd better not show your moisturizers to John Wayne and i 'd better not show my shaving gear to my native Burundian village and we will all be fine. :lol1::lol1:

Imagine watching "The good, the Bad and the Ugly" and having any of the 3 protagonists, apply...moisturizers... :lol::lol1:

- Clint Eastwood: Give me your moisturizer or die! I can't stand the dryness of the sun on my face anymore.
- Lee Van Cleef: Over my dead body! I have no sunscreen! How am i supposed to survive without my moisturizer in this heat?
- Eli Wallace: What if i kill you both and i take all the gold and everyone's moisturizers!

But then again, today, women are more like men, men are more like women and more recently there are no men or women, but "non binary beings". So, they way things go, maybe my wife will start shaving and i will start putting on lipstick! But i will divorce and run back to Burundi screaming, before that happens!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210413_214037.jpg

Tonight we have another of my 3017 soaps, Edwin Jagger Pomegranate and lime soap lathered with the Yaqi black Ferrari. The reason it is on my 3017 list is the scent is too wishy-washy, it does not really smell.of lime or indeed pomegranate. The razor of choice was the Yaqi closed comb/Astra SP (5) a good pairing, although the Astra SS appears to be longer lasting than the SP.
The shave itself was good as I loaded heavily from the soap and got a good thick lather. The razor as usual was excellent and really makes me.wonder how I possibly acquired it for less than €6. The BBS finish was not exactly unexpected and left me with no irritation.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Tuesday shave. Gillette Silver Blue blade in the red tip Super Speed. Paladin 'Cleo' brush, Pre de Provence soap. Vintage Gillette Sun Up to finish. I really like this PdP soap- I probably never would have bought it for myself, but @SharpieB surprised me by including it in a trade, and I couldn't be happier or more grateful. Scent and performance are both outstanding. I like subtle, understated scents, and that describes this soap. I'm still in restraint.

sotd apr 13.jpeg

Still in.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (2)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Murphy and McNeil Naid
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Murphy and McNeil Naid Aftershave Splash (Alcohol Free)
• Murphy and McNeil Naid Aftershave Balm

Result: 9 / 10
Enjoyable 3 pass DFS with no irritation. Slightly wider Kai blade nicked the edge of a large scar on my lower lip that resulted in a little blood and had 2 weepers under my chin. When my wife got home and passed me in the hall, she advised me “Damn that’s nice” then pulled me in close, took a big whiff and told me how good I smelled.

19D49A50-4311-46DE-9713-3EC140D24882.jpeg

Well, it certainly is lovely! I'm definitely curious to hear how it does with bowl-lathering (even though I'm a dedicated face-latherer). Please continue playing along at home for the rest of the month, if that is your desire, and we'll hope to see you in May.
Sorry to bale out less than half-way through the GRUME, FoolishMortal, but that thing looked like it was designed for lathering.

If it doesn't work out, it will still look good in some other role.

Face-lathering seems to give me irritation, so an optimal bowl might be even more important than the brush for me. That's going to freak out some contributors. :c1:

Still in.

The reason I stayed in the GRUMES after I went on sabbatical was new blood always seemed to keep them fresh. I have not been disappointed. Didn’t check in for several hours and there was a lot of interesting things to read. Oh my. Lots. [emoji1303]

I haven’t shaved in a few days because I’m struggling with my new old man bump and I want it to heal before I try to work around it again. Life has also gotten in the way. A big project at work, several doctors appointments for my parents and the finishing touches on my scooters. Lots of rubber and bits and bobs to replace. I’m too anal retentive (like 90%-99% of the people on this board) to let missing washers go unnoticed.

Anyway, thanks for the fun read and stay strong.

Den

OK, as of 04:40 GMT, Roedeer is busted from this GRUME.

A few weeks ago, I was looking up lathering bowls. We all know about the popular copper captain's one, and the Timeless one, neither of which I own, but I can usually whip up a perfectly decent storm of MWF lather in a smooth Lidl food container. I also did a bit of ebaying, though, and got dangerous email feedback...

It appears to be an (inadvertently) perfectly fluted silver lathering bowl (probably intended for other things), from the late 19th C, and sub £50, so since I can afford it, I don't have much option but to buy it. Wouldn't you?

Anyone who wants to see what happens next can find me over on the 365 shaves thread, where I'm on shave 102 of shaving every day this year.

View attachment 1250660
Looks great. I love my silver lather bowl. I use it every morning. Silver is an amazing conductor of heat. That will clean up nicely. Adds a bit of bling to the den.

Top Bottom