What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

barely started still in

Prep : warm shower
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Personna Red (1)

Result :

2nd shave with that blade, 3 pass shave. After Friday’s debacle, this was meant to be redemption day. Looking at Friday’s first pass today was a repeat in that regard. That blade is sharper than what I have tried until now and as much as I’d like to blame it on my skin, the fact that the geese fly north and who knows what , today’s cuts and nicks are on me and a need to improve my technic with sharper blade.

Sunday April 4th SOTD

Still in

Muhle R41 on RR HD handle
Personna Platinum (2)
Barberians Pure Badger
RR Irish Countryside Soap & Aftershave

IMG-2313.jpg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210404_191123.jpg

Tonight's shave with the Yaqi closed comb/Astra SS(9) combo. With spring in the air I dug out the Razorock XXX and the Yaqi purple haze seeing that I was early enough to get a naturally lit shot to show it's handle off.
After using this razor/blade combo for the last 6 days I am actually quite pleased with this razor. I originally acquired it to use the handle for my Yaqi slant head, but this head, although mild is comfortable and does not irritate me at all even though it will never give a BBS shave a DFS+ is perfectly acceptable for the smooth comfortable shave I do get and unlike the Yaqi slant, which does give an all over BBS I don't live in fear of it biting my face off if I get a little careless.

1) FoolishMortal
2) ‘Bout Time
3) B_R_A_D
4) henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB
6) Doti B
7) stuartganis
8) Chef455
9) Roedeer
10) cino
11) Herrenberg
12) CzechCzar
13) Timeclo
14) La Malice
15) Contact_vs_Feedback
16) pdieten GRUYERE
17) hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52
19) Trollky
20) bravoure
21) Owen Bawn
22) Abz88
23) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) Tomo
25) Kyle89
26) wmadoty - GRUYERE - AFFCC
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) Mike M
30) sarir97
31) nelsonic21
32) bluesman 7
33) 4and20blackbirds
34) FL shaver

Back for another month. I’ll be switching from LEA to Proraso cream somewhere along the way, but I have all I need!

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (19)
  • Omega Eucalyptus
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
I'm getting closer. I had the right amount of cream and the right amount of water, giving a decent combination of slickness and cushion. I think that I had been overly optimistic about the amount of water that the cream can take, and holding back a little gave a better lather.

While it was serviceable, this won't replace my favorites, but at least I know it will work in a pinch.

Onward!

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Boots #6, GC.68 SB, Astra SP #7.
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Managed to make a thinner, slicker lather with the MWF, and got a great result with no post-shave irritation. This one must be my desert island soap.

BBS face and DFS neck.

Still in

Razor Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
Brush Anbbas Synthetic
Lather Tailors of Old Bond St platinum collection
Post Shave hot and cold water, Alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Results 9/10 bbs face and neck, a couple of weepers easily healed.
Alum feedback Oww my stinging face

After the last couple of shaves in which I bowl lathered with Prorasso Green I decided to go back to the TOBS Platinum. It may be just that I'm out of practice but, after using beautifully bowl lathered Prorasso, the face lathered TOBS seemed a little dry.

I have definitely got a little carried away with the atg pass. While I may now have a face that is even smoother and more hairless than my girlfriend 😅. The downside however is that the Alum Block made me feel like Kevin from the Home Alone films... A second atg pass is not a wise replacement for a good pre shave routine.

Still in, trying out my 50's aluminium base plate and ball end tech this week and continueing to break in my Semogue SOC

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's aluminium base plate and ball end tech
- Israeli Red (1)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

I’m out.
I received a sale notice from Italian Barber and ordered an olive handle boar brush. My Omega Pro 48 has a cracked handle and will be replaced. I think this brush is made by Zenith.
It sure looks like one of their brushes.
I look forward to it.
I’ll be back in May.
I've heard the same about the boar and badger brushes from Italian Barber being made by Zenith.

The boars from IB has higher lofts than most Zenith models and by all the reviews, it is a great brush.

If your brush is broken, and you've just ordered One brush as a replacement then you might be still in.

Whatever it is that you decide, I hope that brush serves you well.
It is a very handsome brush, especially in Olive wood handle.

Top Bottom