What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

BIC's are my current favourite blades, but so far I've only use it in mild razors as it is very sharp! On my face, it gets sharper on shave two and sharper again on shave 3 so if you find it too sharp already, it might be worth trying it in a milder razor instead of chucking it?

My two razors are a Timeless .95 and the FOCS I recently got as a gift. I’ll try it next shave in the Timeless with the SB plate. If it doesn’t work, I have a couple blades that are fantastic in those razors. Luckily I only get a single tuck to try blades so won’t have a bunch sitting around if it doesn’t work. TBH, I was very excited about the Bic blade as many people like you say it is one of, if not their top blade. At least we have lots of choices

My two razors are a Timeless .95 and the FOCS I recently got as a gift. I’ll try it next shave in the Timeless with the SB plate. If it doesn’t work, I have a couple blades that are fantastic in those razors. Luckily I only get a single tuck to try blades so won’t have a bunch sitting around if it doesn’t work. TBH, I was very excited about the Bic blade as many people like you say it is one of, if not their top blade. At least we have lots of choices

I had that happen with Gillette Silver Blues, a lot of people on here love them but they just didn't feel very smooth to me (even tried a second one to make sure it wasn't just a one off)

Luckily I also only tend to buy single tucks of blades I haven't tried before so that I don't end up with too many lying around. (although I am currently working my way up to trying 100 different blades so I still have a lot lying about :lol:)

April 2, headshave
First shave of the Month

Still in

Muhle R41 head on RR HD handle
Polsilver Super Iridium (13)
Yaqi Moka Express 2-band Badger
RR Irish Countryside Soap & Aftershave

IMG-2296.jpg

Still in , 1st shave of the month no temptation yet

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Personna Red (0)

Result :

Who said Friday fun day ? nothing wrong to say about the blade today , but the skin decided to gave up on me, became really dry as the shave progressed regardless of what I was trying resulting in several nicks cuts and some irritation. I will pass on giving an opinion on the blade knowing the skin screw us up and will look forward to sunday shave.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Unless I shave tomorrow, today is my last Pure badger shave of Lent. Although I like Pure badger, 7 weeks of it six days a week is enough for a while. I'm ready to move on to something more plush. So today a vintage Rooney in Pure, DR Harris Marlborough soap stick, and Booster Island Bay Rum. I didn't use the Tech in the photo- my razor today was the red tip Super Speed.

Pure rooney (2).jpeg

I'm in

1) FoolishMortal
2) ‘Bout Time
3) B_R_A_D
4) henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB
6) Doti B
7) stuartganis
8) Chef455
9) Roedeer
10) cino
11) Herrenberg
12) CzechCzar
13) Timeclo
14) La Malice
15) Contact_vs_Feedback
16) pdieten GRUYERE
17) hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52
19) Trollky
20) bravoure
21) Owen Bawn
22) Abz88
23) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) Tomo
25) Kyle89
26) wmadoty
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) Mike M
30) sarir97
31) nelsonic21
32) bluesman 7

Last month, I decided I had to try a Ralf Aust razor, so I got one with the basic plastic scales. Today, first shave with it.

View attachment 1245419
The Aust arrived surprisingly sharp, but I still put it through the three diamond-pasted balsa strop sequence dictated by The Method.
My prep was the usual cold water version of Kyle's Prep, followed by a cold water shave. For my skin, cold water shaves eliminate skin irritation, if the edge and I do our parts.

It was a good shave, not a great shave, but that's basically my fault. I mostly use kamisoris, so I kept having "oh, I'm not just shaving what I thought I was shaving, the blade's touching my skin over there too" experiences. So I didn't get quite as ambitious with getting my neck hollows and other tricky spots just right. And when I applied the truth bar, as I call the alum block that highlights all of your errors in a corona of pain, it confirmed that I have some work to do on my long-razor skills.

Still, a happy experience, no blood, and a new respect for the razors of Ralf Aust. It did not have quite the keenness of my kamisoris, but was still quite sharp, and there was something about the serious hollowness that suggested that one could get very fine control, once the right skills were in place.

there was something about the serious hollowness that suggested that one could get very fine control, once the right skills were in place.

Haha keywords. I feel like my full hollow will amplify mistakes in angle versus my thicker grind Le Grelot. Are the kamisoris that you usually use "shavette" style with disposable blades, or are they just a hunk of metal? Asking out of curiosity, as I do not know much about kamisori shaving.

Haha keywords. I feel like my full hollow will amplify mistakes in angle versus my thicker grind Le Grelot. Are the kamisoris that you usually use "shavette" style with disposable blades, or are they just a hunk of metal? Asking out of curiosity, as I do not know much about kamisori shaving.

They are a hunk of metal. A beautiful hunk of metal, though, at least to my eyes. Example:

1617385963326.png

I agree about amplifying errors. A super-sharp edge on the kamisori also amplifies errors, but the mitigation is careful attention to light pressure and to angle. The hollow has the same amplification, but I'd guess that the mitigation would be somewhat different. I don't have an opinion about what that mitigation should look like, but I suppose I'll have one eventually.

Still in, first shave with my new Semogue SOC boar. It still needs some breaking in but it feels like it its going to be a very nice brush!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Softening Shaving Cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Cooling Post-Shave Water Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Special Edition (Gentile Head)
- Super Shave X Platinum (3)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210402_204024.jpg

Today we had some fantastic weather, it was warm and sunny, almost summery so I decided to go with a summery cream, TOBS Coconut. I will be using more of this as the weather improves and as I can see the bottom of the tub in places I hope I can 3017 it this year. This is my third shave in a row using the Yaqi closed comb/Astra SS(7) combo with good results. Although it is possibly too mild to give BBS shaves they are at least DFS+. As it is so mild at least there is no irritation so the shaves are very comfortable.

Still in. This GRUME thing is easy.

And we're already 1/20th of the way through!

I'm finding it less easy. Making the commitment unleashed a previously hidden flood of ideas for shave things I NEED RIGHT NOW.

I have resisted temptation, though, and even had one of those virtuous results that you'd hope for from this: I finally got off my duff and epoxied a knot into a handle. They've been sitting, separate, in my cabinet for months, but now they're together, and should be ready to use in a couple of days.

Top Bottom