What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Gonna give it another go this month after falling out last month for a Yaqi 2 band badger brush. I realised I would have 13 brushes so I ordered a Yaqi purple mink yesterday not that I'm superstitious, but any excuse to order another brush eh.

1) FoolishMortal
2) ‘Bout Time
3) B_R_A_D
4) henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB
6) Doti B
7) stuartganis
8) Chef455
9) Roedeer
10) cino
11) Herrenberg
12) CzechCzar
13) Timeclo
14) La Malice
15) Contact_vs_Feedback
16) pdieten GRUYERE
17) hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52
19) Trollky
20) bravoure
21) Owen Bawn
22) Abz88
23) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) Tomo
25) Kyle89
26) wmadoty
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) Mike M
Meh. I’ve done GRUME like 85 times and only completed it twice. Still saved a ton of $$$ even when I failed though.

Also, one cannot have 13 brushes. I think that is a rule or something.

Congrats on the mail call.

I too have a SOC Boar, mine is in Cherry wood.

Can you please let me know what is the actual loft of your brush?
I know that it is supposed to be 55mm for SOC Boar brush, I think mine was more than a bit stumpy.

I measured mine and it is 55mm. I think the small handle on it makes it seem shorter though, as I also initially thought it seemed a bit on the short side.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Off to a good start.

Today-
Timeless SS .68 w/ Feather (2)
Razorock BC
AOS Peppermint Cream
"I don't recall" AS
=DFS

FYI this is most of what knocked me out of last month's G.R.U.M.E

20210401_160214.jpg

One more item on the way... beware I'm calling someone out for putting it up on the bay...

Happy April and good wishes to all.

Glad to be back on the GRUME.

First shave of April

Brush: TNS Boss batch 2 synth
Soap: Soapy Science Unscented
Razor: 'Merica razor
Blade: Treet Plat (1)

Razor feels pretty mild but is still cutting. I have to buff quite a bit so that's a ding on the razor but I'm giving it couple more tries.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (17)
  • Omega Eucalyptus
  • SOC Taj Boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
With FFFMM done, I mixed it up today, putting away the Formula T Tobacco and pulling out a tube of Omega shaving cream. This was a gift from my awesome and amazing in-laws, probably two years ago, and I think this was my first use - maybe the second.

The scent is pleasant. The shave...not so much. I made enough lather for my now-standard one-quick-pass shave, but it certainly lacked slickness and cushion.

I'll freely admit that my preferences run to harder croaps and soaps - Tabac, Arko, B&M, the aforementioned Formula T - and I don't have a great track record with creams. I never seem to dial in a soap/water ratio that gives me the easy, slick lather of my favorites. I'd like to get there, though, so I'll keep trying for a few more shaves with this and see if I can improve the experience. If not, there's a PIF or trade coming soon to a BST near you.

Onward!

Pre-Shave
Proraso Green shaving cream & hot water

Shaving equipment
Proraso Green shaving cream
Anbbas Synthetic brush
Anbbas shaving bowl
Wilkinson Sword Classic Blade (4)
Muhle R89

Post-shave
Hot & cold water
Alum block
Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

results
Bbs face dfs neck, 2 cuts healed by alum block, minor alum feedback only on areas with cut, no irritation. 9.5/10

No shave today but still in.

My wife managed to April fool prank all three of us and her mother. I still think she gets carried away but at least I wasn’t at a local police department trying to locate her so I could bail her out.

Stuck both of our adult daughters with huge hotel bills. Said it was payback for all we spent raising them.

I have poor hearing and didn’t replace my hearing aids when they wore out. She spent the day with a tone generator in her pocket and would turn it on and act like she was yelling even though she was barely talking. She read my last audiology test and picked a generator that would give my hearing the most interference. There’s disadvantages of living with a medical professional that is way smarter then me.

Well folks as a green shaver with just 3 month in the game, being part of last month GRUME taught me a lot, spending time writing about my shave helped me reflect on it and see where I could improve ... still a lot of improvement to come.

I decided to restock on 2 tuck of blades Shark SS and Voshkod and will see in June which one I prefer the best .

This month will be a 4 blade try and tomorrow will be the first shave with the Personna red. Lets see if I can finish some products this month

IMG_8938.jpg

Well folks as a green shaver with just 3 month in the game, being part of last month GRUME taught me a lot, spending time writing about my shave helped me reflect on it and see where I could improve ... still a lot of improvement to come.

I decided to restock on 2 tuck of blades Shark SS and Voshkod and will see in June which one I prefer the best .

This month will be a 4 blade try and tomorrow will be the first shave with the Personna red. Lets see if I can finish some products this month

View attachment 1245169
Smart not buying 100 blades every time you want to try a new brand... like me.🤫

Out of all the shaving products I own, the Proraso preshave cream is by far the easiest to blow thru quick if you want to finish something. I don’t use a ton when I use it, but I doubt I get more than 20 shaves out of a container.

Smart not buying 100 blades every time you want to try a new brand... like me.🤫

Out of all the shaving products I own, the Proraso preshave cream is by far the easiest to blow thru quick if you want to finish something. I don’t use a ton when I use it, but I doubt I get more than 20 shaves out of a container.

Well the blade come from a PIF, 13 of them + a tuck of Bic Chromium I bought , 5 last month, 4 this month, 5 next, I should be able to find something I like well enough to buy a hundred of it, so far the Voshkod seems to pull away.

As for the preshave, I must be doing something wrong, used it for 6 weeks now shaving every other day and still have half of it left.

Day one done. Easy peasy!
Razor: DE89 head on RR Super Knurl handle
Blade: PIR (2)
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Haslinger Aloe Vera
Wanted to give the DE89 a go after not using it for a while. Ended up with a 2 pass SAS/CCS. It’s a very nice razor, but I have others I enjoy more, it was where I started though. Went with no aftershave today and I think that worked well without it. Haslinger is great! Have a great day y’all!
3EA214A9-6191-4446-8480-58416AEB0A50.jpeg

Day one.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SP #8
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Made more of an effort on my neck, and got a better result, but also more irritation. I think using hyaluronic acid helps your skin to recuperate, but a fully BBS neck might still be a Pyrrhic victory.

One day down and still in.

Rating: 6/10
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1 and probably never again)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Barrister and Mann Diamond (Soft Heart) (sample)
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick & Clubman Pinaud Syptic Pencil
• Stirling Unscented Aftershave Splash
• Barrister and Mann Unscented Aftershave Balm

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
+ DFS
+ No cuts, tugging or bumps / ingrowns
- LOTS of weepers, looked like I had chicken pox. Never had this many weepers before from any blade. The alum stick and cold water didn’t get most of them so had to use the styptic pencil, which I rarely have to use on one tough weeper, never have had to use it on a few in the same shave
- Had irritation, redness and felt a bit raw
- LOTS of feedback with the alum and I felt like Kevin McCallister when I put on the aftershave splash

It was MLB Opening Day so what a day to finally try my Diamond sample that I’ve been waiting to try since I got it in December. Was a pleasant scent, much different from anything else I own. Mostly get fresh cut grass, soil, caramel and occasionally got a whiff of beer, smelled like being at a baseball game. I enjoyed it but my wife, she no likey. Said all she could smell was fresh cut grass and enjoys it, but not on my face. I would enjoy using the soap throughout the season and playoffs but don’t think I’d get the matching splash as I would enjoy the experience during the shave but wouldn’t want to project it at work or in public. The Soft Heart base was fantastic, I really enjoyed it.

First time trying using the Bic Chrome Platinum blade. Was excited going in as many people rate it in their top blades. It was close but not as smooth as my favourites. It felt great the first pass and thought I may have a winner but could feel it getting sharper throughout the XTG pass and felt too sharp on the ATG pass. I usually like sharper blades but I think this blade was too sharp for me. I’ve read that the second and third shave get even sharper then it smooths out so probably won’t try it again.

Is it too late to join?

1) FoolishMortal
2) ‘Bout Time
3) B_R_A_D
4) henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB
6) Doti B
7) stuartganis
8) Chef455
9) Roedeer
10) cino
11) Herrenberg
12) CzechCzar
13) Timeclo
14) La Malice
15) Contact_vs_Feedback
16) pdieten GRUYERE
17) hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52
19) Trollky
20) bravoure
21) Owen Bawn
22) Abz88
23) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) Tomo
25) Kyle89
26) wmadoty
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) Mike M
30) sarir97

One day down and still in.

Rating: 6/10
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1 and probably never again)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Barrister and Mann Diamond (Soft Heart) (sample)
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick & Clubman Pinaud Syptic Pencil
• Stirling Unscented Aftershave Splash
• Barrister and Mann Unscented Aftershave Balm

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
+ DFS
+ No cuts, tugging or bumps / ingrowns
- LOTS of weepers, looked like I had chicken pox. Never had this many weepers before from any blade. The alum stick and cold water didn’t get most of them so had to use the styptic pencil, which I rarely have to use on one tough weeper, never have had to use it on a few in the same shave
- Had irritation, redness and felt a bit raw
- LOTS of feedback with the alum and I felt like Kevin McCallister when I put on the aftershave splash

It was MLB Opening Day so what a day to finally try my Diamond sample that I’ve been waiting to try since I got it in December. Was a pleasant scent, much different from anything else I own. Mostly get fresh cut grass, soil, caramel and occasionally got a whiff of beer, smelled like being at a baseball game. I enjoyed it but my wife, she no likey. Said all she could smell was fresh cut grass and enjoys it, but not on my face. I would enjoy using the soap throughout the season and playoffs but don’t think I’d get the matching splash as I would enjoy the experience during the shave but wouldn’t want to project it at work or in public. The Soft Heart base was fantastic, I really enjoyed it.

First time trying using the Bic Chrome Platinum blade. Was excited going in as many people rate it in their top blades. It was close but not as smooth as my favourites. It felt great the first pass and thought I may have a winner but could feel it getting sharper throughout the XTG pass and felt too sharp on the ATG pass. I usually like sharper blades but I think this blade was too sharp for me. I’ve read that the second and third shave get even sharper then it smooths out so probably won’t try it again.

BIC's are my current favourite blades, but so far I've only use it in mild razors as it is very sharp! On my face, it gets sharper on shave two and sharper again on shave 3 so if you find it too sharp already, it might be worth trying it in a milder razor instead of chucking it?

I'm in

1) FoolishMortal
2) ‘Bout Time
3) B_R_A_D
4) henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB
6) Doti B
7) stuartganis
8) Chef455
9) Roedeer
10) cino
11) Herrenberg