What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Easter Monday. Blue and gold shave. Gillette Silver Blue in the red tip Super Speed. Zenith silvertip brush, Proraso 'blue' cream. Vitos Aftershaving to finish. A real springtime feel to this shave.
Still in restraint.

Zenith ceop monsay.jpeg

I’m out.
I received a sale notice from Italian Barber and ordered an olive handle boar brush. My Omega Pro 48 has a cracked handle and will be replaced. I think this brush is made by Zenith.
It sure looks like one of their brushes.
I look forward to it.
I’ll be back in May.

Did you buy anything else with your order? Rule 1c on the front page is that "If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced." so if you don't have any other brushes and needed to replace your Pro 48 then you are still in (unless you have other brushes or unless you bought more than the brush)

Did you buy anything else with your order? Rule 1c on the front page is that "If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced." so if you don't have any other brushes and needed to replace your Pro 48 then you are still in (unless you have other brushes or unless you bought more than the brush)

Thanks for telling me.
The handle cracked over half way down the handle. It was a replacement.
Am I still in?

A full-on "use what you have" day, plus a revisit of the rehab Iwasaki tamahagane after a brief honing tune-up. Remember I said the side of the razor I wasn't showing you was ugly. Yeah.
1617646067076.png

It used to be a lot uglier, if you can believe it. I will make it pretty someday; that someday is not far off, because some of those streaks look like rust. Anyway, the shave was DFS+ on neck, where I paid a lot of attention to hollows and a vexing beard map, and decent on the cheeks, which I probably paid too little attention to. The edge was very comfortable, which accounts for my willingness to spend all that neck time. One blood-free alum pain spot which was just me stupidly adjusting position and making a little slice. Otherwise clean.

First time I used this brush; I just epoxied the knot in a couple of days ago. Elite Razor handle, 26mm "Manchurian White" knot. I liked it a lot.

The Castle & Forbes lime cream was a very early purchase. I tried it, found it way too thick, and, lacking a shave bowl, just put it aside, for so long that it hardened. A few months ago, I opened it and added some water. This is the first time I've used it in ages. The rehydrated cream looked like a failed souffle, but thinned out into a very nice lather. And of course C&F is hard to beat for scent quality. I use lime skin sometimes, and it smells just like that. I admit it also smells like lime LifeSavers, but I always liked those.

No further temptations. I admit I've got a few tabs open in my browser that I plan to let myself ponder once May 1 rolls around, but I'm not tempted to look early.

I did buy some Kevlar gloves, with the immediate purpose of protecting my hands when I sand down the hollow of this razor, but my conscience tells me that this is a virtuous "use and take care of what you have" purchase, not a commitment-violating "buy more shave gear" purchase.

That’s what I thought.
See you in May
Sorry to hear it, but I hope the new brush is good to you. Please feel free to play along at home, and let us know how the new brush does. I would also be curious about the death of the cracked-handle brush, if you have any info to offer there.

Many thanks to @Abz88 and @Contact_vs_Feedback for doing the inquisitive work to make sure we didn't lose a brother without due cause.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) @SharpieB
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) @Roedeer
10) @Cino
11) @Herrenberg
12) @CzechCzar
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
15) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
18) @Schnitzel52
19) @Trollky
20) @Bravoure
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
26) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - AFFCC
27) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) @sarir97
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210405_193241.jpg

Tonight's shave saw the end of the Proraso blue lathered with the Yaqi evil zebra. This cream had a good scent, good lather and great shaves but still not one I will be replacing, it is my third 3017 of the year. After the last two weeks of using my Yaqi closed comb and Muhle R41 I was deciding on tonight's razor when my eyes lit on the Fatip piccolo which I haven't used in a while.
The shave was an easy BBS with the piccolo doing all the work despite a small weeper that required the application of my alum block (always a danger when going from a mild razor to an aggressive one). I have promised myself to use the piccolo more.often and stop having my head turned by the new shiny razors.

Top Bottom