What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Pre-Shave: Hot water
Soap: Tailor of old Bond Sandalwood shaving stick
Brush: Anbbas Synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34c hd
post-Post-shave: Hot and cold water, Styptic Pencil and GFT Ecuris Skin Food

I'm back at work so its a return to the Locker room shaves. My Simpsons travel brush has not arrived yet so in the meantime im using my Anbbas Synthetic. The 34c has impressed me with how well it shaves, nice balance, heavy but not to heavy and a little bit more aggressive than the R89. The shaving stick is something that I didn't get quite right in my first use. At first the lather was way to dry, then I overxompensated by making it too wet. However I have since watched a YouTube video of someone using it and had a practice lather, second time was better.

Still in

Prep : hot shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Personna Blue (0)

Result :

red blue , is there a difference ? no for me on this blade

Still in.

Planned on skipping today since I was so aggressive with my shave yesterday but changed my mind after shaving Dad and putting his equipment away.

So I have a Karve Christopher Bradley with plates SB-A through D and OC-A through D in my possession. This is the one that I traded a bunch of my SE stuff for last month and plan on giving as gift to friend sometime after August. I hadn't planned on using it but decided I was required to since it was already used and in my possession.

I'll say this about the Karve. I may not have drunk the Kool-Aid but I've touched it to my lips. It was a nice shave. I'm only going to use it on my face and work my way up the plates from least aggressive to most aggressive.

I did WTG, XTG and ATG for both head and face. I realize this is tempting fate because it's a new razor to me, yesterday I was pretty aggressive, and yesterday was my first face shave in ages. Oddly enough I'm struggling with head shaves with the Gillette Platinum "Blue." Only on the fifth use and I nicked myself twice and it seems dull. I even took a week off from shaving to make sure past nicks were well healed. With the King C Gillette and the Gillette Platinum "Whites" I was able to get over 20 head shaves.

Results: BBS on both face and head (passed the cotton ball test) but my neck is feeling a little raw

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum "Blue" (5) - headshaves only
» Karve (SB-A) w/Wizamet Super Iridium (1) - face and goatee trim only
» Zenith Copper/B03-A26-L (aka B28) - still damp, I need to remember to rotate brushes
» Black Bot CK-6 soap - trying to 3017, finally the donut of death has appeared, I thought the tub was defective
» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel
» Black Bot AS
» Black Bot EDC
» Styptic pencil

» Black Bot CK-6 soap - trying to 3017, finally the donut of death has appeared, I thought the tub was defective

9668DDBA-ED71-4604-887D-4B0F2C9FB44B.gif

I’m guessing this was your reaction when you finally saw the ring of death. And I’m guessing this is what you look like after shaving the beard 😉

Still in. Excellent shave today, comparing two razors. Razorock Lupo to GC68

SOTD 04082021.jpg

Both felt mild-mid aggressive but I preferred the Lupo for slight edge in blade feel and efficiency. Both were enjoyable to shave with and I think I'll keep both around.

As for the lather, I did a mixture of MWF and Stirling sheep soap. The result was wonderful... slick, hydrated, creamy lather. I might try this out more. :)

In like Flynn.

Simpson M7 Best, 70’s Gillette Tech with a Razorock handle, KAI blade and Oceana soap/balm.

I have a few fairly expensive razors (Karve, 6S, Game Changer...) but this ’70’s Tech shaves just as good. Not pretty, but a great $5 antique store find.

BBA2CE34-EF10-45E0-B0A4-D819DD285D4E.jpeg

There Is also the leap year sabbatical (4 years) and the decade restraint for those whose disorders have reached truly epic proportions

I saw the thread, but that is for legends, not for beginners. I am at the 1st day of April GRUME and i already got tempted. If i arrive at end of year, i will be really happy for a start. Then i hope to be able to do next year's GRUYERE.

You can play along at home, that's what you can do!

Welcome to B&B and to the April GRUME. :)

Thank you. Yes, i can still read the shave trek, while eating my gruyère. :biggrin: I will make GRUMEs one after the other!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I saw the thread, but that is for legends, not for beginners. I am at the 1st day of April GRUME and i already got tempted. If i arrive at end of year, i will be really happy for a start. Then i hope to be able to do next year's GRUYERE.

Thank you. Yes, i can still read the shave trek, while eating my gruyère. :biggrin: I will make GRUMEs one after the other!
I got tempted right out of the march GRUME 2 days before the end by a Yaqi brush sale so we all understand where you're coming from

Mike M

Still in
IMG_20210408_212122.jpg

Tonight I went for a familiar luxury shave, my Muhle R41/Astra SP and as it has been cold and wet today Stirling Sharp Dressed Man lathered with the Yaqi purple haze.
What more need I say about this shave, the soap was slick and cushiony, the razor was amazingly close and comfortable, the brush was soft and the blade was sharp. Everything just came together as it should. Shaves like this are why we do this.

Still in.

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Splash
• Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Balm
Result: Fantastic 3 pass shave that resulted in BBS with zero issues! 10 / 10, but would rate it higher if I could, one of the best shaves I’ve had. My wife commented on how BBS my face and neck was.
Thanks @Contact_vs_Feedback for the Diamond Edge blade, it was terrific. It was sharp, close and smooth. This was only my first shave with it but if I get a couple more shaves like this, I could see it being one of my favourites. Felt closer then the London Bridge I used and enjoyed the last couple shaves.

BCDAB8FD-12CF-4640-B121-C013CCEDBFAD.jpeg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Boots #1, GC.68 SB, Astra SP #1.
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Gave the Game Changers a deep clean, to get soap build-up out of the lather slots and teeth. I should do this more regularly.

BBS face, DFS neck, and zero irritation post-shave.

I got tempted right out of the march GRUME 2 days before the end by a Yaqi brush sale so we all understand where you're coming from

A Yaqi sale?! Then you have my complete understanding! It is probably the same sale that urged me to order 3 Yaqis, which are on their way from China as we speak. GRUMEs should have an exception for Yaqi brushes, because it is near impossible to resist the sales. It is almost a crime! So, between a sin and a crime, better choose the sin! :LMS

I swear, i came this close yesterday on ordering the Mogno soap from Portugal. But i have already enough soap to last me years, no place to stash shaving gear anymore and my otherwise lovely wife who complains constantly every time she sees my shaving supplies. Only this shaved me and my honour for joining GRUME just yesterday. This GRUME already saved me once.

Still in
View attachment 1248602
Tonight I went for a familiar luxury shave, my Muhle R41/Astra SP and as it has been cold and wet today Stirling Sharp Dressed Man lathered with the Yaqi purple haze.
What more need I say about this shave, the soap was slick and cushiony, the razor was amazingly close and comfortable, the brush was soft and the blade was sharp. Everything just came together as it should. Shaves like this are why we do this.

Ah! The Purple Haze! What a lovely brush! The lighting doesn't do it justice! If it was branded Simpson it would cost at least €80! I have it, of course! But not on this month's rotation! I can almost relive your shave, sir!

Mike M

A Yaqi sale?! Then you have my complete understanding! It is probably the same sale that urged me to order 3 Yaqis, which are on their way from China as we speak. GRUMEs should have an exception for Yaqi brushes, because it is near impossible to resist the sales. It is almost a crime! So, between a sin and a crime, better choose the sin! :LMS

I swear, i came this close yesterday on ordering the Mogno soap from Portugal. But i have already enough soap to last me years, no place to stash shaving gear anymore and my otherwise lovely wife who complains constantly every time she sees my shaving supplies. Only this shaved me and my honour for joining GRUME just yesterday. This GRUME already saved me once.

Ah! The Purple Haze! What a lovely brush! The lighting doesn't do it justice! If it was branded Simpson it would cost at least €80! I have it, of course! But not on this month's rotation! I can almost relive your shave, sir!
It was the Moka Express 26mm 2 band badger for half price that did it for me. Then I realised I would have 13 brushes and although I am not superstitious I had to order the half price purple mink the day before the April GRUME started, just in case.

It was the Moka Express 26mm 2 band badger for half price that did it for me. Then I realised I would have 13 brushes and although I am not superstitious I had to order the half price purple mink the day before the April GRUME started, just in case.

Ah! Yes! I remember! I was tempted to order the Moka too, because of the handle, but i don't like so big brushes and i already had yaqi 2 bands, so i went for a red handle silvertip that was €21, a pure badger Sagrada and a synthetic that was for less than €10 each and couldn't pass. I had to order 3, because it will probably be my last Yaqi purchase. From July things change in custom taxes and VAT in EU and i think i will stop. Besides, i have too many already. So am now happy GRUME member too!

Top Bottom