What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Last shave of the month, only headshave today.

R41 head with RR HD Handle
Wilkinson Sword Blade (5)
Yaqi Moka Express 2-Band Badger
Stirling Ramblin' Man
Nivea 2 in 1

IMG-2454.jpg

5 hours left and Still in. :cool:

I will probably also sit out the May GRUME.
Have my eyes on a new brush.

Good Luck in May everyone and see you all in June!

Last shave of the month, only headshave today.

R41 head with RR HD Handle
Wilkinson Sword Blade (5)
Yaqi Moka Express 2-Band Badger
Stirling Ramblin' Man
Nivea 2 in 1

View attachment 1260073

5 hours left and Still in. :cool:

I will probably also sit out the May GRUME.
Have my eyes on a new brush.

Good Luck in May everyone and see you all in June!

Oh, mercy! That brush again, up close and personal! :001_tt1: I will have to stop looking in here in a few days. I have a Sabbatical that i can't fail! :laugh:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210430_231955.jpg

Disclaimer: Though I am posting this twenty minutes after the finish of the GRUME it took place before the end of the GRUME.
Tonight's shave used the Ming-shi/Astra SP(7) combo. The soap was Arko lathered with the Yaqi Moka Express 2 band badger brush (just for you @Burundian Hawk ) because this brush uses a ton of soap and I am desperate to 3017 this soap. The lather was great despite having to go back to the bowl for more soap and the brush was incredibly soft.
I used the Ming-shi on setting 6 for all passes and although it left me with a touch of irritation I think it was probably the razor setting rather than the blade. Still a great shave with a BBS finish.
I am sorry I will not be joining you in May but at least I have avenged last months failure.

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : none
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Cremo Cooling Shave Cream
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkd (1)

Result :

Well I decide to shake things up for this last shave of the month. I did not remembered how fast the lather was disappearing on that cream. Nice cooling effect during the shave but not beyond. Slight alum feedback, no visible nick or cut but some itching in the afternoon.

May here I come. 5 blade left to try …

We're at the end, lads. Remember, if you make/made it through April, May 1 is your re-stock day for needed items.

Congrats to the 24 finishers!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB - out (4/18: CSS soap)
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) Roedeer - out (4/12: Silver lather bowl)
10) Cino - out (4/?: Maggard's Earth Day
11) Herrenberg - out (4/23: Grail brush)
12) CzechCzar - out (4:26: Stuff)
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
15) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52 - out (4/5: Zenith/IB brush)
19) Trollky - out (4/9: Merkur 34G)
20) Bravoure - out (4/9: Declaration Grooming soaps)
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
26) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - AFFCC
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound - out (4/20: Simpson brushes)
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) sarir97 - out (4/23: Yaqi brush)
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver
35) Burundian Hawk - out (4/17: Brush and soaps)

Still in, decided to revisit a sample of Meißner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit. It's a shame that Meißner Tremonia appears to have disappeared from all the online vendors that used to stock it, it's still available from their own website but their shipping costs from Germany to the UK are quite high. It's a very good soap with excellent post shave feel (although it smells nothing like Pink Grapefruit!)

Giftsandcar.com, from Spain, carry the brand. They have one of the lowest shipping costs (to Brazil): around Eur 9,00. You may wanna check them.

Alas, I have fallen. It was the browsing that got me. I had been looking for a jade brush, or anyway a deep green stone-handled brush, and I had started to believe that there was no such thing. So of course it was safe to browse for it, since I would not find it.
View attachment 1255931
The clincher was something almost unfair: this handle is made from Belgian Coticule! The handle is a sharpening stone! I'm a sharpening guy, and the idea of having a brush that was not only stone, not only deep green, not only beautiful to my eyes (just look at that gold streak!), but was made from a sharpening stone, was too much.
I might have endured, if this had just been a normal stock item, but it was a one-off. The idea of enduring the remaining week of the GRUME, checking each day to see whether someone had bought MY BRUSH, was just too much. I succumbed.

May those still standing show more strength than I did.

Wisdom trumps strength! Truly exquisite brush! Well done! Congratulations!

Top Bottom