What's new

April 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD
  • RazoRock Mission w/Nacet (1)
  • B&M (Glissant) Cheshire
  • Maggard 24mm Synthetic
  • Thayers/Lucky Tiger/Stirling ASB
  • Pinaud Clubman AS
The RR Mission was the razor that started it all. Well, it's the one that SWMBO got me for Christmas when I first started DE shaving. Truth be told, I couldn't wait for it to arrive, so I bought a '45 Tech (triangle slots) and Flare Tip at an antique store. The Tech was my first actual shaver, but it's the thought that counts...

Anyway, I'm not super-stoked with the Mission. However, I know that each razor is different, so I'm going to give it the old college try to see if I can get good shaves. I had a couple of teeny-tiny nicks with it today, but that could have been because I did only WTG yesterday and my skin does best if I get a three-pass shave daily. I'll continue to use my solid soap/brush combo to give myself the best possible chance at figuring out this razor over the next 10 days. If we don't get on, look for it in a May PIF...

SOTD

Prep: Glycerin soap, followed by hot towel
Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34C with Gillette 7o’clock black (first use)
Soap: PAA Lavender Planet
A/S: Henri Et Victoria Duc De Sandl balm, with Mickey Lee Jefferson Square topping things off.

I’ve been playing with different blades these past few weeks. For this past week, I have been using Voshkod and loving it. It was actually the first time I’ve been able to shave everyday without irritation.

Today I thought I’d try a different blade so I picked the 7o’clock blacks. Turns out, that was a mistake. I stopped after two passes and finished up with a new Voshkod.

Looking forward to Monday’s shave with some bay rum or Proraso...

A7E1BC63-1570-4E5B-AFA6-25F02BDDB92B.jpeg

Thankfully, I still have some of the B&M bay rum, so I'm safe on that front (Diamond doesn't interest me).

I almost failed on over the weekend. For reasons I still can't quite determine, I found myself wandering the aisles of Marshall's. I came a cross a C&E cream, and like any time I've found anything wet shaving related there, I had to have it. On the way to checkout, I was weighing whether this was worth dropping out of GRUME for a shaving cream that I've read is mediocre at best (and the risk and of an angry glare from SWMBO). Eventually, I put it back. Better luck next time, temptation.

Still in! SOTD

PannaCrema for head and Boellis Panama 1924 for face. Timeless Bronze. 38 and Simpson's Chubby 2 Super. GP bowl.
20190415_110929.jpg
20190415_115353.jpg

Thankfully, I still have some of the B&M bay rum, so I'm safe on that front (Diamond doesn't interest me).

I almost failed on over the weekend. For reasons I still can't quite determine, I found myself wandering the aisles of Marshall's. I came a cross a C&E cream, and like any time I've found anything wet shaving related there, I had to have it. On the way to checkout, I was weighing whether this was worth dropping out of GRUME for a shaving cream that I've read is mediocre at best (and the risk and of an angry glare from SWMBO). Eventually, I put it back. Better luck next time, temptation.
Well done! Those situations are hard to avoid.

This weekend, I accompanied SWMBO to a garage sale being put on by a guy who used to own an antique store in town. There was a cool gold Star three-piece razor, but I didn't even ask the price. I just told him to take the blade out lest someone slice a finger...

SOTD
  • RazoRock Mission w/Nacet (3)
  • Maggard 24mm Synthetic
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
I mentioned before how the Mission and I didn't really get on. However, I'm determined to make friends and tried something very different today: steepness. I'm usually a "ride the cap" kind of guy, but when doing some clean-up yesterday, I found that using a steep angle seemed to be more efficient and less fraught.

So today, I tried shaving in a way that is antithetical to what I've done for the last four years. I keep the handle down and it was a revelation! The result was a closer and less-irritated shave than I've ever had with this razor, even on the wiry-haired, craggy chin area. I may be onto something...

Good Job!
I have not seen shaving soap or gear at Marshall’s or Ross or TJMaxx.
Is there a Soap Fairy ‍♀️ that visits these stores or what?

Well done! Those situations are hard to avoid.

I accompanied SWMBO to a garage sale this weekend, being put on by a guy who used to own an antique store in town. There was a cool gold Star three-piece razor, but I didn't even ask the price. I just told him to take the blade out lest someone slice a finger...

SOTD
  • RazoRock Mission w/Nacet (3)
  • Maggard 24mm Synthetic
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
I mentioned before how the Mission and I didn't really get on. However, I'm determined to make friends and tried something very different today: steepness. I'm usually a "ride the cap" kind of guy, but when doing some clean-up yesterday, I found that using a steep angle seemed to be more efficient and less fraught.

So today, I tried shaving in a way that is antithetical to what I've done for the last four years. I keep the handle down and it was a revelation! The result was a closer and less-irritated shave than I've ever had with this razor, even on the wiry-haired, craggy chin area. I may be onto something...
Good Job!

Good Job!
I have not seen shaving soap or gear at Marshall’s or Ross or TJMaxx.
Is there a Soap Fairy ‍[emoji3601] that visits these stores or what?

I find them pretty infrequently. I also saw an Ed Harvey shave set that I passed on. Others that I have seen were AOS or Proraso. 9 times out of 10 are a miss

Top Bottom