What's new

April 2019 Challenge: Self-Portrait

Am I seeing this correctly? It looks like you voted for your own entry to avoid a runoff. Did you intend to vote for yourself?

Yes. I voted for the shot which I felt best addressed the OP. I do this whenever I vote and most months that means I don’t vote for my shot, but this month I did. If that is verboten, void my vote.

I've always thought it odd that people enter and compete in their own challenge, that's never made sense to me.
dave

Am I seeing this correctly? It looks like you voted for your own entry to avoid a runoff. Did you intend to vote for yourself?
I thought that was a bit odd too, but I don't know that it breaks the rules.

I've always thought it odd that people enter and compete in their own challenge, that's never made sense to me.
dave
I get what you're saying, but with no actual prizes I don't see and conflict in entering. Also with the low numbers of participants I say the more the merrier.

I do think #7 was the best, most traditional shot in the competition and that's why I voted for it. I tried to do something more similar to it a couple of times, but I don't have have portrait lighting, a remote trigger, or a flippy screen to see what I'm doing and wasn't happy with what I was getting so I went a different route. Time was running out and I had to fire up the old bucket truck to fix a few lights. I saw my reflection in the back of the mirror and thought it would make a cool shot. So I took a couple minutes to find a composition I liked and took a shot with my cheap cell phone. I liked it better than anything else I had spent much more time on. Mostly just to add to the entries. Also I thought it also I thought it better showed me as me than taking a portrait that I just wasn't feeling.

Thanks for the votes!

This challenge topic has more unwritten rules than baseball. Can you post and/or vote in a challenge you originated? Well below are the OPs since Jan 2018. Obviously folks have been posting in their own threads. In the majority, they voted for somebody as well.

We also have a fluid definition of recent. In Feb 2018, discussing centered around folks who posted pics taken before the OP. The consensus was that the pics had to be taken in response to the challenge. That has not been the universal opinion since them.

I, for one would appreciate clear rules. If we don’t want repeat winners, keep the OP from posting an entry in the ensuing month. I have no problem with that and I participate in other forums where that is the standard. While we are at it, let’s get rid of “recent” and just say the shot has to be taken after the OP.

Challenge thread OPs since Jan 2018
May Shutterbug57
April Shutterbug57
March ninjashaver
February whitebar
January whitebar
December CashStronomer
November whitebar
October whitebar
September whitebar
August davent
July Troy