What's new

April 2019 Challenge: Self-Portrait

Life magazine has decided to feature you as their photographer of the year. They have staff shooters that will get most of the shots they need for the article, but they want you to do a self-portrait as the cover photo for the story. They are not looking for a “selfie”, but a quality photo that you take of yourself that tells your story. You can look at the great shooters of yesteryear for inspiration, but come up with a shot that tells your story so that the readers want to dive deeper into the article.

Many of the photographic greats have dabbled at shooting themselves. These shots have ranged from basic studio photography to bizarre with pretty much everything in between. If you want to do a bit of research on some of these photographers, the following list is a good place to start:
  • Diane Arbus
  • Richard Avedon
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Imogene Cunningham
  • Germaine Krull
  • Dorothea Lange
  • Vivian Maier
  • Andy Warhol
  • Irving Penn
  • Man Ray
  • Cindy Sherman
  • Edward Steichen
  • Weegee
  • Edward Weston
  • Garry Winogrand
  • Art Wolfe
  • and so many others.
For many of the above, there are multiple self-portraits you can find with a bit of research. The styles are wide and varied, but they generally do not have an arm obviously holding the camera out to take the shot, a la the cell phone selfie. I am posting this a bit early to let folks have time to research what is out there, the different styles and approaches. After researching, plan your own self portrait and how best to approach it. Looking forward to seeing what this creative group comes up with.

The rules this month are the same as usual:
  • Winner of the previous months challenge picks new theme and starts thread.
  • You must be the photographer.
  • One entry per month.
  • Try and make the image a recent one. As interpreted in the February 2018 thread, “recent” means taken in response to this challenge posting.
  • Competition runs until the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th - 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.

We just completed a Vivian Maier show at the Art Gallery here, was great! She immediately came to mind when i saw your topic, should be very interesting... and you don't have to go outside...
dave

We just completed a Vivian Maier show at the Art Gallery here, was great! She immediately came to mind when i saw your topic, should be very interesting... and you don't have to go outside...
dave

Dave - sounds like a good show. I always think of Vivian Maier & Mike Disfarmer together. They were both ”found” and promoted by others after the fact and both had rather odd personalities & limited funds. Maier, no doubt, took several self portraits with a minimal outlay of her meager funds. I would have liked to see her show.

Dave - sounds like a good show. I always think of Vivian Maier & Mike Disfarmer together. They were both ”found” and promoted by others after the fact and both had rather odd personalities & limited funds. Maier, no doubt, took several self portraits with a minimal outlay of her meager funds. I would have liked to see her show.

Very glad i went!

Gallery's summary.

Vivian Maier: Street Photographer - Art Gallery of Hamilton
dave

OK, I'll go first. My self portrait was inspired by, but not a copy of, one of Irving Penn's shots. In the shot is my Intrepid 4x4 with a Nikkor 150/5.6 lens. The shot was lit by 2SB800 flashes, the key light was in a Westcott 26" octobox & the kicker was in a Westcott 10"x24 strip box. The shot was taken with my Fuji X-T2 and the Fuji 18-22/2.8-4.0 lens. Settings were ISO 200, Shutter 1/200, Aperture f/11 and focal length at 48.4mm. The shot was triggered with the Fuji app from my iPhone.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of you come up with.

proxy.php

Put a small charge on the camera and took a few minutes with a couple ideas. Not a selfie kind of guy, but I like what I came up with here. 'Which side of the mirror holds the true reality'
Rebel T5, 24mm with 4 stop filter, f/11 at 30sec., ISO at 100

proxy.php

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Full disclosure: I didn't take this in response to the challenge. I took it in December. But I'd have a hard time doing better.

FB_IMG_15542483200801607.jpg

So far we have 4 very different approaches to our subject. Today is the last day to get your picture in. Looking forward to seeing what y’all have come up with.

Nice work guys. This is a tough one, as reflected by the few submissions.

I cast the first vote for #8.

Honorable mention to #10 as an excellent shot, but not specifically taken for this challenge.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
If they hadn’t specified pictures taken specifically for this challenge, yours would have been my choice, hands down.
I originally wasn't going to post it for that reason, but when the deadline was approaching and there were only two, I thought it was a shame there weren't more. So I got the ok to post mine.

Top Bottom