What's new

appropriate attire?

so, the wife and I are going on vacation as of tomorrow and i'm wondering if I should bring my suit along. we'll be spending a couple of days in Duluth, MN and I figured we'd go out for dinner at a nice restaurant somewhere in Canal Park. however, I don't know if a suit and tie would be considered too dressy. maybe I could forego the tie and just wear and open collared shirt with a suit. any opinions?

^^
thanks for the heads up on Nokomis. we're also going to Grand Marais for a couple of days and it's on the way. might have to duck in for some lunch.

I wonder if there are any decent antique stores around here? I feel like scouring the shops for some old razors

I don't know about antique stores, but I'm sure there are plenty. Also, if you like burgers, Hell Burger in Canal Park has great ones. My wife is a cheeseburger connoisseur and she claims its the best she's ever had.

There's never anything wrong with wearing a suit and tie. I used to drop in at a variety of establishments in coat and tie back when work had me in court regularly. If anything, I was always treated better with a tie on. If you want to, put on the tie and enjoy yourself!

I agree with Erik, and a bonus for me, my wife finds me sexy when I am in a suit or tux. (I hear there may be other wives who find the same of their husbands)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sadly, in today's day and age, wearing a suit while on vacation is probably going ot be overkill just about anywhere.

Nevertheless, I encourage you to do this. I encourage all of us to wear suits and sport jackets more often. Let's spruce this place* up a bit, start a trend, and keep out tailors out of the unemployment lines!!

* planet Earth, that is.

so, the wife and I are going on vacation as of tomorrow and i'm wondering if I should bring my suit along. we'll be spending a couple of days in Duluth, MN and I figured we'd go out for dinner at a nice restaurant somewhere in Canal Park. however, I don't know if a suit and tie would be considered too dressy. maybe I could forego the tie and just wear and open collared shirt with a suit. any opinions?

I would pack the suit if I was visiting New York City but Duluth Minn. kinda overkill if you ask me. I would go with chinos, OCBD and a Navy Blazer with loafers and you'll be fine 99% of the time.

I think a suit and tie are always handy to have on hand. Depending on the establishment I'd wear either a suit and open nech shirt or a suit and tie.

I would take it easy and dress casually on the vacation, but pack a sportcoat for that dinner out. You're already thinking about it, so why not?

a sports jacket and a tie, aswell as a nice pair of chinos that go decently with the jacket, if not for you, i would guess you would like to look nice for the wife, no ?

It's Duluth, MN in the summer. No need for a tie anyplace up there. If you feel like a short drive towards Two Harbors, Nokomis is fantastic.

http://www.nokomisonthelake.com/

well, the wife and I went to Nokomis for dinner while we were in Duluth and it was indeed very good. I did wear my suit, but I didn't wear a tie or jacket. not that it really mattered....the restaurant was pretty empty. my only complaint about Nokomis was that the bartender couldn't make a mixed drink to save his life :thumbdown. we also had breakfast at the New Scenic Cafe which is right by Nokomis - this was also pretty good as well. forgot about Hell Burger though in Canal Park. I was too busy checking out the antique store there to notice the restaurants

My idea of dressing up on vacation is an open collar silk shirt, quality trousers with a crocodile belt, a decent watch and some decent quality well-shined leather shoes. And of course a good shave and cologne. I would not consider a suit except maybe first night at the symphony or opera.

When I'm one my own time with my wife and we are paying the tab, we are the only ones who need to be pleased.

Top Bottom