What's new

Applying CrOx to a strop?

I ordered some CrOx to use for finishing a blade after honing on a 12k. But then I read that CrOx can tear up a blade. I ordered some in bar form from 0ne of the shaving websites (Shave Nation). Now I am wondering if it is safe to use? And if so, how would it be applied to the leather strop? I have used CrOx in the past for my knives and I do know that it is quite effective in removing metal.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have tried both CrO2 and FeO2 on linen and was not happy with the resulting shaves so I went back to 0.5um, 0.25um and 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strops.

If applying CrO2 or FeO2 to a leather or linen strop, just remember that a little dab 'll do ya. Apply lightly over about only 50mm (2") at mid-length of the stropping surface and then use the spine of an SR to spread its effect over the length of the stropping surface.

Just remember that once pasted, a leather or linen strop is pasted forever. You can never get it back to a "clean" strop.

Here’s an example of how much to put on
image.jpg

CrOx bought from someone that knows straight razors and is selling it for finishing should be fine.

I have that same wax bar. It's fantastic. I have it on the linen side of one strop, and on a dedicated separate leather strop, too. Either way. Rub a light green coating on your substrate, and strop as normal. I do a dozen laps CrOx, and then plain leather before every shave, and I haven't noticed any deterioration or other issues. Get a $12. Gold Dollar and test drive it to put your mind at ease.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The bar I have will last a lifetime. I put it on like a crayon to the linen. A dozen or so strokes and finish on leather. My small Dovo strops that I cut up when learning are working out well.
5864D43E-89AF-4482-809D-9007A4C1B629.jpeg

I ordered some CrOx to use for finishing a blade after honing on a 12k. But then I read that CrOx can tear up a blade. I ordered some in bar form from 0ne of the shaving websites (Shave Nation). Now I am wondering if it is safe to use? And if so, how would it be applied to the leather strop? I have used CrOx in the past for my knives and I do know that it is quite effective in removing metal.
You lightly rub the paste onto the surface of the strop, evenly. I suggest having 2 strops, one pasted, the other clean leather, don’t cross-contaminate.

Anything you read and hear is only a story until it becomes your experience. You arrive here because you believe it can make a difference. Trust your gut and have your own experience.... Two caveats, A only use the super fine paste, nothing else. I think the black paste are the fine stuff. 12K is already very fine and if you max out the stone, you next want to go as fine as possible. B must have you stropping under control. Don’t sub pastes for lazy honing 😀 Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom