What's new

Applying CA to scales

Hi All,
Looking for suggestions on how best to apply CA to wood scales as a finish. I’m used to doing this on turned projects, but that is really easy - turn on the lathe at low speed, put a little CA on a piece of paper tower and then apply to the work while it is turning. But I’m a bit unsure how to apply the CA to a scale without the scale getting glued to whatever it is resting on. Or do you hang the scale from a wire?

Thanks All!

Im not at home right now or id send ya a pic. I took some thin cardboard and punched paper clips through it. Then bend the clips so they make a flat spot for the scale to sit on plus a tip sticking up for the pin hole in the scale. This holds them solid and the cardboard can be put up in a closet or somewhere safe without worrying about the scale slipping off.

I will post a pic later.

I don't think real hard! I mentioned in another post that I just rest them on a small rod. Hold by the pivot end, do what I can then hold the wedge end next coat. Sometimes I will put an extra couple coats on the ends to even it out. I do put a coat or two on the inside first, then only do the outside for the main coats.

20211020_203137.jpg

IMG_20211021_164446907.jpg

Sorry, it took so long to share a pic. But as you can see this card holds two sets of scales. I always do more than one at a time. Just bent paper clips and I tape them to the bottom of the card so they don't twist around. You can also see where I was keeping track of coats. I put a few drops on the scales, quickly smooth it over the entire scale, and then put it in the top of a closet so the dust don't have a chance to settle into it.

I tried a variant of this today using a piece of small gauge Romex. Put three coats on the outer sides, will sand tomorrow and then add some more coats. I put a bit of mineral oil on the wood first, which I normally don’t do, hopefully that won’t cause any issues.

I tried a variant of this today using a piece of small gauge Romex. Put three coats on the outer sides, will sand tomorrow and then add some more coats. I put a bit of mineral oil on the wood first, which I normally don’t do, hopefully that won’t cause any issues.
With a photo - I tried both methods - suspending the scale from the vertical wires and also just laying it across. They both worked OK, I think I prefer just holding the scale at one end, applying CA to the other 2/3, then laying it on a rest to dry. You can see that I didn’t completely remove the bandsaw cuts from the inner faces, but the scales were pretty thin by the time I got this far, so decided I’d rather have the scars than lose another 20 mil of scale thickness. Will post final pictures on “what’s on your bench?”

3BBDEFA2-A8CC-4A67-B51D-3751B0899BFF.jpeg

You CA the wedge in place? I always leave it loose so I can adjust my scales and wedge to get the blade centered. Not too sure about putting an oil on then CA over and oil. Sounds like trouble to me. I always put 2 or 3 coats of CA on the insides and sand them down to seal the inside. It helps a lot.
Looks like a phone wire to me. If it works is all that matters. Good luck and keep going. We learn by doing.

I have not tried this, but if I were to suspend the scales, I would try wrapping a thin layer of blue painter’s tape around the wire. Blue painter’s tape is great stuff!

Regarding wedges, I would only glue a wedge in place to shape the wedge. I am about to make a wedge and (for the first time) plan to use one piece of not too sticky 3M double sided tape to hold it in place just for the shaping. Will be fun to see if it works.

Do not fully shape the wedge, for a gap free fit of the wedge to the scales. final shape once the razor is fully pinned. After adjustments are made.

Yes, you will need to touch up finish, CA is easy or buff on a wheel, (horn) but guarantees a gap free fir and perfect wedge alignment.
I too always leave the wedge unglued. Make sure the inside of the scales, and the wedge are flat.

Mock up bolts are a big help to ensure it all fits and works together.

Top Bottom