What's new

Apparently not only am I a newbie, I have bad taste too.

Long time reader/lurker, first time posting.

I only have three razors, my primary, an Edwin Jagger DE89BL, a Baili BD191, and my most recent purchase the Twig made by Leaf.
The EJ is the Goldilocks, its just right, the Baili is a bit aggressive, and the Twig is very mild. Having said that, they all are very good shavers, even the Baili, which for $13 is a very good razor for $13. I choose the razor depending on the amount of stubble I need to tackle, not sure how everyone else does it.

For blades, apparently I'm backwards to most people although I haven't tried that many. I tried the Baili that came with the razor and threw them away, they were garbage. I tried the Derby Extra that came with my EJ and love how smooth it shaves, seems to last far longer than other razors. I've also tried the Personna blue which gets high regards, but I didn't like it at all. Sharp, but only good for a few shaves before it starts tugging. I think I like less sharp and smooth better, but I guess it all depends on your skin and hair.
I also tried the Derby Premium by accident, ordered 300 SE razors, that is why I bought the Twig, why not, I already had the razors. So far, I still like the Derby Extra the best and I know that is contrary to popular opinion, but it rarely cuts me while the Personna leaves me looking like I got in a fight with the razor.

For soaps, I've tried Arko, Proraso (green), and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Arko and Proraso are just OK in my opinion, but the T of OBS, that is the shiznit. I make about four or five swirls to load up the brush and then lather it on my face. That stuff makes the richest creamiest lather that I can't imagine any soap being better.

Oh, and for my brush I use a Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush. I have tried several of the badger and synthetic brushes, can't remember any of the names, most of them were inexpensive off the shelf brushes, but I find that I don't like the softness of badger. Since I lather on my face I like a good stiff brush that can create a lather and raise up those whiskers. Once again, I run contrary to popular opinion, but that's what I like.

I'm sure as time goes by I'll get more razors and try more soaps, but I have to say I'm pretty damn happy and probably have enough shave supplies to last me the rest of my life already.

Last edited:
Good for you! And welcome.

I have way too much shaving stuff but I have a good friend that uses a old Gillette Tech razor he bought at a flea market for I think $8 along with a $10 Omega drugstore brush I gave him. He MIGHT have 4 soaps and most are what I would consider terrible, but they work for him. Shaving Revolution and Viking something or other. I bet my shaves with high end gear aren’t any better than his.

Don’t go down the rabbit hole unless you want to.

I find that I don't like the softness of badger. Since I lather on my face I like a good stiff brush that can create a lather and raise up those whiskers. Once again, I run contrary to popular opinion, but that's what I like.
Welcome! Great to have you here.

You'll find many common interests here, all of us helping each other in our quests.

Welcome! Great to have you here.

You'll find many common interests here, all of us helping each other in our quests.

I'm not sure what quest that is, apparently shaving is only a "gateway drug" to other interests around here. lol

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Long time reader/lurker, first time posting.

I only have three razors, my primary, an Edwin Jagger DE89BL, a Baili BD191, and my most recent purchase the Twig made by Leaf.
The EJ is the Goldilocks, its just right, the Baili is a bit aggressive, and the Twig is very mild. Having said that, they all are very good shavers, even the Baili, which for $13 is a very good razor for $13. I choose the razor depending on the amount of stubble I need to tackle, not sure how everyone else does it.

For blades, apparently I'm backwards to most people although I haven't tried that many. I tried the Baili that came with the razor and threw them away, they were garbage. I tried the Derby Extra that came with my EJ and love how smooth it shaves, seems to last far longer than other razors. I've also tried the Personna blue which gets high regards, but I didn't like it at all. Sharp, but only good for a few shaves before it starts tugging. I think I like less sharp and smooth better, but I guess it all depends on your skin and hair.
I also tried the Derby Premium by accident, ordered 300 SE razors, that is why I bought the Twig, why not, I already had the razors. So far, I still like the Derby Extra the best and I know that is contrary to popular opinion, but it rarely cuts me while the Personna leaves me looking like I got in a fight with the razor.

For soaps, I've tried Arko, Proraso (green), and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Arko and Proraso are just OK in my opinion, but the T of OBS, that is the shiznit. I make about four or five swirls to load up the brush and then lather it on my face. That stuff makes the richest creamiest lather that I can't imagine any soap being better.

Oh, and for my brush I use a Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush. I have tried several of the badger and synthetic brushes, can't remember any of the names, most of them were inexpensive off the shelf brushes, but I find that I don't like the softness of badger. Since I lather on my face I like a good stiff brush that can create a lather and raise up those whiskers. Once again, I run contrary to popular opinion, but that's what I like.

I'm sure as time goes by I'll get more razors and try more soaps, but I have to say I'm pretty damn happy and probably have enough shave supplies to last me the rest of my life already.

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I think it is wise, to not achieve shaving enlightenment, by mimicking everybody else. It is better to find your own path, to do what makes you happy, to do what works for you. I am happy to hear that you are finding your own way on this journey. Your doing better then you think!

You also have some nice products already, hopefully they continue to serve you well.

Welcome to B&B. Another Semogue 1305, TOBS, and Derby fan here. Stay away from the Arko and I'll say you have good taste.

:badger:
As far as Arko goes, it was so cheap I ordered a whole box for $12, so much for B&B recommendations, some are better than others.
As it stands now, I'm saving it all for the zombie apocalypse when maybe I can use it for bartering.

I will say because it doesn't leave any residue behind, I have found a good use for it. I put my original stick in the shower and use it as a facial soap.

Welcome to B&B.

I doubt many here are going to be concerned about your having poor taste. However, if you smell bad, there are folks here who can suggest some wonderful fragrances to fix that problem. :lemo:

Since you have been a lurker for a while, you know that we have plenty of enablers her to help you pursue whatever rabbit holes you might fall into. Personally, I have fallen into several, but artisan shaving soaps with great performance and great scents are my primary obsession.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
However, if you smell bad, there are folks here who can suggest some wonderful fragrances to fix that problem.

Yes I can infact! Its called...

Davidoff Cool Water! 😁
proxy.php

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Derby Premium is a decent blade in my opinion. TOBS shave creams are consistently good in my experience also. Razors...well...the bottom line is...if they work well for you then they work well for you. Shave on! :c9:

Top Bottom