What's new

Apparently Merkur don't like e-bay trading

Interesting. Maybe they're looking after the B&M's interests. I just looked at one E-Bay seller who has 7 ea 38C's up for sale.

I wonder if that only applies in the EU? I'd guess (but it's only a guess) that they'd have more clout there than here in the US.

Can Merkur do that? I believe there are fair trade laws that allow reselling of items in the US, unless they're grossly overpriced. If Merkur doesn't want you selling on eBay don't they have to list that in their Terms of Use or User Agreement. Of course, I'm not familiar with trading laws in the EU so they might have a rule on the books that allows them to choose where their products can be sold.

Can Merkur do that? ....snip.

Basically, I believe that Murkur, as the manufacturer, can do whatever they want, and sell to whoever they want. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that, I'm just saying I believe it's their right.

Recently, I heard of a store that lowered their price on some National product (against the Manufacturers Agreements) and what did that manufacturer do?? They went in, removed all their stock and refused to allow that company to distribute their products any more.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I get the impression that this is an eBay retailer, rather than a few-item vendor, and he probably buys his razors straight :huh: from Merkur, and they said "don't sell on eBay or we won't sell to you".

Just my guess. Still, seems pretty petty. :thumbdown

I get the impression that this is an eBay retailer, rather than a few-item vendor, and he probably buys his razors straight :huh: from Merkur, and they said "don't sell on eBay or we won't sell to you".

Just my guess. Still, seems pretty petty. :thumbdown

Agreed. The sad thing is that if that's the case, there's probably not much the seller can do about it.

Merkur do not consider ebay a suitable place for their products. They respectfully request that retailers do not sell their products on ebay, this is the same policy across the world. Merkur of course cannot demand anything of a retailer although they can choose to supply whoever they wish, there is no right to supply. I believe they are worried about the prices, say if lots of razors were auctioned it could lower the value of the brand & also they are concerned with the quality of after sales service.

Paul

There was a similar problem not long ago with one of the British supermarket chains selling Levi jeans at well below the extortionate british price. They were buying them legally in bulk in the far east and bringing them to Britain.

Levi kicked up a huge stink about it and I think they tried to lean on the far east sellers. Don't know what happened about that.

Rip off Britain as usual!

Gareth

Basically, I believe that Murkur, as the manufacturer, can do whatever they want, and sell to whoever they want. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that, I'm just saying I believe it's their right.

Recently, I heard of a store that lowered their price on some National product (against the Manufacturers Agreements) and what did that manufacturer do?? They went in, removed all their stock and refused to allow that company to distribute their products any more.

I completely agree that Merkur can sell to whomever they want. I don't believe that legally, they can then tell you how you call sell it unless it poses a serious threat to their product's value and market share... yada yada.. That requires a judicial ruling to prove however. I suppose this seller doesn't want any trouble and just did as instructed.

Actually, Gillette did the same thing back in the 20's & 30's. I've been reading King Gillette's bio, and the company had traveling salesmen who'd report retailers selling razors below the retail price. They'd get little visits and strongly worded letters from attorneys threatening to cut them off if they didn't sell razors for what the company told them to.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Many manufacturers will look at how and where you sell before awarding a distributorship. They wish to reduce competition in certain areas with "protected dealerships" and are worried that low eBay type prices reduces their name appeal.

Most of these rules apply to top level distributors though and are part of the terms offered by the manufacturer. As a lower level dealer buying from a distibutor or middle man there is not much the manufacturer can do.

Tony

There was a similar discussion in the sword forum of which I am a member. A company selling swords was telling their retailers not to sell the swords under recommended retail price, because some people became retailers, then sold the swords on eBay for no profit at all, dumping the prices and making it difficult for other retailers to do business. Which I think is a valid argument. Consumers buy where it's cheapest, and if a retailer wants to keep their customers, they will have to lower their prices to get customers to stay with them rather than go to a cheaper eBay store, which will cut into their profits, making it more difficult to keep a stock of items, etc., which will lead to fewer retailers wanting to stock those items. Which will lead to a downward spiral affecting the manufacturer as well.

It's one thing if you buy a Merkur at full retail price, and then re-sell it on eBay for a pittance. Then you are the one taking the financial blow. If you buy from the manufacturer as a retailer, and then sell the razors at that price, or close to it, you will dump the prices on the market, which can hurt the sales for the manufacturer in the long run.

Ain't Big Business grand?

There was a similar problem not long ago with one of the British supermarket chains selling Levi jeans at well below the extortionate british price. They were buying them legally in bulk in the far east and bringing them to Britain.

Levi kicked up a huge stink about it and I think they tried to lean on the far east sellers. Don't know what happened about that.

Rip off Britain as usual!

Gareth

Yeah that was Tesco

S

sullivanpm

Out of curiosity how much are your guys paying for Levis?
I can get a pair of 501 button fly for around $30.00 USD.
Just curious as to what is the markup.

How does Lees get away with selling Merkurs so cheap?

I think I can buy some models from him chaper (with postage) than I can buy tax free in Germany either on the German Market, or from UK via Forces Poast Office.

Out of curiosity how much are your guys paying for Levis?
I can get a pair of 501 button fly for around $30.00 USD.
Just curious as to what is the markup.

Last time I looked was about £25 - £30, which with the current exchange rate is the equivilent to about $50 - $60. :scared:

Wow.
Yeah, it's not too hard to find Levi's here for $20-$30. And you can get them just about anywhere. Funny how supply & demand works in different places.

Maybe I should load up on Levi's jeans and start trading w/ UK guys for Gillette Rockets and Aristocrats :thumbup:

Top Bottom