What's new

Apollo Mikron problem

Hello all,

I have apollo mikron adjustable safety razor and ben hur. With Apollo have small problem.
When I put blade in the razor and close it to the end, everything is fine. But, when I start to adjust it, there is no firmness, and the cap can move up and down, and also knob can move up and down . Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it.
To note, this problem occurred after cleaning.
Thanks

P.S.
I sent it to some members PM, I hope they won't get angry because I also started a public topic :em2300:

Last edited:
Most likely You have a problem with the spring that move the middle plate. You need to disassemble the razor and look.

Most likely You have a problem with the spring that move the middle plate. You need to disassemble the razor and look.
I had the same issue. Hopefully it's possible to take apart, mine was so gunked up it was near impossible.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

The blade tray is spring loaded so you should be able to depress it and it will return to its normal position. It could be gunked up or the spring in broken hence no tension. I have no idea how to replace that spring as the tray is usually not removed.

Thanks guys. I'll try to solve the problem. If there is any video about it, I would appreciate it if you give me a link 🙂
I found something similar about Merkur progress, can I do the same with Apollo and solve the problem?

Attachments

• 3436BEE6-405D-430B-8B79-2C5CC1D3FCFE.jpeg
    3436BEE6-405D-430B-8B79-2C5CC1D3FCFE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 4A21AC2E-B434-4383-97A3-2DAF5469E312.jpeg
    4A21AC2E-B434-4383-97A3-2DAF5469E312.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 2DEDB2B6-F30F-4367-9C52-ECB65CD59E23.jpeg
    2DEDB2B6-F30F-4367-9C52-ECB65CD59E23.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 86CEDCDE-8DEC-443C-AC72-1A14BF1FFF4D.jpeg
    86CEDCDE-8DEC-443C-AC72-1A14BF1FFF4D.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 57DD5703-C8A3-4661-B5C0-5D4132368CC3.jpeg
    57DD5703-C8A3-4661-B5C0-5D4132368CC3.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 44
Thanks guys. I'll try to solve the problem. If there is any video about it, I would appreciate it if you give me a link [emoji846]
I found something similar about Merkur progress, can I do the same with Apollo and solve the problem?
Do you have the key to open the bottom? It's unfortunately not the same as the Progress.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Why do you need to uncrew the knob? If it doesn’t adjust/clamps the blade, the problem is inside the head, most likely the compressed spring is stuck.

Adam

Hi, I have a similar problem with my Mikron: The heads baseplate is stuck, so it's not an adjustable any more. The reason is, that it is heavily corroded. I have the original manual, which explains how to open it. But by trying to open the button hollow screw to open, I bent the key. It is just a piece of aluminium. Oil, heat and a supersonic bath did not help. Is this a common problem? Or is there a picture of a completely disassembled mikron available? Mabe I could see there, what has happened with my one.

Sincerely Yours

Recently I came across a guy who was selling his Mikron and I almost grab it, because of all the hype following it. Before that I asked a few of my friends who own at least one and they told me that unless the razor is in mint or near mint condition and the price is very low, it's not really worth it, because according to them, these razors are quite fragile and not very durable and they are nothing specialial in terms of shaving. The seller was looking for at least 150$ for a beaten up Mikron and for that amount of money I can get myself a brand new solid ss or even near mint condition vintage Gillette Aristocrat or something in that range that will last a lifetime.

As far as I can see, the Apollo shaves like a modern Merkur Progress. However, the Progress is more solid. Not just because it is newer, but also because of the quality in the manufacturing. The same is true for a Gillette Fat boy of that time. The Apollo is one step behind. And still, I'd like to preserve the Apollo as a collectors piece.

Top Bottom