What's new

Apache Strata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. All the stones he has for sale look very similar (matte grey, somewhat porous/granular), I recall you posting some that were very jet black. Same stone? I assume it's used with oil?

Hi Nelson, so you don't use slurry on that stone at all? You finish with water only?
I know you hone by the razor's feedback but approx how many X strokes do you do?

The black stones are from that area, he sent two for me to test, my comments are with regard to the Apache Strata.

Hello Sam! Yes, I didn't use slurry of any kind while using this stone and finished water only. This was what I wanted to eliminate and go from stone to stone in the progression without slurry. My search was based on a feel more than anything else, it had nothing to do with grit values and numbers. On a sensory level something I would describe as truly maxed out coticule.

I finished with X strokes, snake strokes, half circle strokes, Gamma off stone strokes, etc. the total number I'm really not sure. I will say I don't spend much time, bevel set to finishing around 20 minutes on a razor that was a very good shape and whose bevel was not set yet.

The black stones are from that area, he sent two for me to test, my comments are with regard to the Apache Strata.

Hello Sam! Yes, I didn't use slurry of any kind while using this stone and finished water only. This was what I wanted to eliminate and go from stone to stone in the progression without slurry. My search was based on a feel more than anything else, it had nothing to do with grit values and numbers. On a sensory level something I would describe as truly maxed out coticule.

I finished with X strokes, snake strokes, half circle strokes, Gamma off stone strokes, etc. the total number I'm really not sure. I will say I don't spend much time, bevel set to finishing around 20 minutes on a razor that was a very good shape and whose bevel was not set yet.

So Nelson, you'll probably be looking for someone to take those nasty old Jnats off your hands now, right? I got nearly fifty bucks burning a hole in my pocket if you feel like doing a bulk deal. Cash and carry?

Or will you just be tossing them in the east river?

Iam not really too interested in the new appearance of the stones....however great that there a lot of stones popping up in the past year...

...but iam interested whos behind that thing and what machinery is used...seems to be a lot of work as he writes the production is slow...

Interesting! Quite pricey for something new on the market though.

How hard are these? How fast do you get from 8k to a refinement level that you consider finished?

I wonder if these will impart contrast on knives that are clad with softer steel. I sharpen my knives/tools on my jnats too and part of why I like jnats is the specific finish they impart.

Also, the idea of using synths to the 8k level is unattractive.
Too much unknown for me to be interested but it's interesting that you found something that works for you.

I'm truly impressed that someone would take the time and expend the effort to locate, cultivate, and harvest a new type of whetstone.
In this day/age when most people seem to favor pushing buttons and having their neccessities delivered, that guy got up off his butt and went a prospectin'.. yahoo. That's awesome.

Excited, me - definitely. It's a USA stone that appears to have a shot at making me happy. I like that idea alot.
I like having options more than anything I think. This is another option - another avenue to explore. To me that's 90% of the fun.
I have labeled this, boxed that, Karasu here, Carnley there - etc.

What's new? That's what's cool. Even moreso than an unknown stone found in a cheap box of rocks from ebay; that stuff is fun but at least here I know for sure what's in the box, bag, whatever.

Pricey? Maybe, maybe not too bad though. This year I saw a Barber's Delight sell for 1200 USD. Vintage (cough cough) Jnats sell for 800 and up. Trans Arks have been seen selling for wild prices too.

What's attractive to some, will be unattractive to others.
Yesterday, among things - I used a sandstone to set a bevel, and finished on synthetics.
What an unattractive set up.
No glory, not spendy.
Edge kicked *** though. So, well - I guess the edge was attractive even if the set up wasn't glorious.

This Apache - I'll get to it. Not right now though. I have too many other rocks to sort out at the moment.

Without fancy boxes, labels or stamps - that seller will have a tough road ahead of him though.
Put some Kanji on it, maybe a Maruichi stamp or two, mount it to a wooden platform... .they'll fly out the door.

Im very curious and have some samples on the way for testing. Nelsons is the most credible honing guy I know so Im diving in!

Thats pretty fast for finishing, dont you think? I biught it because I was intrigued by the speed factor. 1 5 10 to finish and great results is a fast way to do this. The edge speaks for itself though imo.

For those of you who have been using them, could you address a concern I have about the stones listed on his site?

Some of the less expensive ones have visible cracks on the surface. While the owner says that he's "tested" them to make sure they don't interfere, I'm always leery of visible cracks on the surface of very hard stones. The first batch he had up there had none, but a 2 or 3 of the most recent batch do. They're much cheaper, but if the crack becomes a problem after lapping, then the low price wasn't worth it anyway.

My question is do any of you have cracks on the surface of your stones and, if so, are they a problem?

Mine has a few benign cracks that affect nothing imo. I cant speak for the others though. Im sure he can work it out if its a problem, but ask first is what I would do. He seems very accomodating.

Yes a few. Not felt by nail or razor. I saw them when I got it and louped it. Will keep an eye on them though. Cant tell if its ever going to be a problem until it is. Buy my take is if lines and small fissures stopped me I would not have many fine stones I have now.

Mine also has some lines on the surface, but I can't feel them. And no real change after lapping. The seller does say on his site that the mineral oil he uses in cutting seeps into the stones and accentuates those 'cracks'.

I agree that the seller would likely be accomodating or change his selection criteria if there are any issues; he's bringing something new to market and I'm sure wants to keep his reputation intact. Michael, the source for the Zulu is widely-known to be extremely accomodating and helpful; hopefully Terry (the Apache strata source) will be the same if it came down to it.

Thats pretty fast for finishing, dont you think? I biught it because I was intrigued by the speed factor. 1 5 10 to finish and great results is a fast way to do this. The edge speaks for itself though imo.

I don't really measure my finishes in time until I stop on them, I judge the speed of a stone by how quickly the edge progresses. I've found the Apache stone to be on the slower side of things for sure. I'd say a fast thuringian is between two and four times faster than the Apache has been thus far.

Last edited:
I was one of the first guys to get a stone, right after Nelson's recommendation. My stone is perfect. No different than my eschers. No crack lines at all. Solid through and through

I bet the next batch will have nice clean stones for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom