What's new

Apache Strata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is using slurry with this hone, it works fairly fast and as a finisher swarf would be very fine, terry says the darker cuts faster, I have a dark on the way the lighter one works well. very true you can find thuris and eschers but not as cheap as the apache, some want to buy a finisher and not have to buy it from a well known auction site. I like the apache edge, and for me it is that simple. if you are happy with what you have then you are right, why pay for one, it is all opinion. out of all the ones Terry has sold he has had one that maybe be a bad hone and he is going to replace it, if you should get a thuri and it be to coarse or just not a finisher would the personyou got it from stand behind it?

...I tryed many stones that i found in nature, that are cabable to smooth out an razor, but they simply do nearly nothing to the edge, this phenomenon is comparable to the effect of an polished sharpening steel. I tryed that many times, finished a razor on a Chosera 5k and used a Dick Polierzug sharpening steel after this, followed by proper stropping on plain leather and had a very good shave.

greets Sebastian.

NOW you tell me...... all I needed was a sharpening steel all this time? :cursing::mad2:

Ok, got the replacement stone five minutes ago. A lot to say about it, but that's gonna require a couple more razors on it (have done one so far), and a shave or two. Expect details by Friday at the latest. I'll say that I was hopeful, but cautiously hopeful that the replacement would solve the problems I was having, and after five minutes with this stone, my heart rate went up. It's looking really promising, but I can't go into details I don't have, and I need to leave for work literally now.

Here's a scope pic of a razor that had an edge I had intentionally "overhoned" on the original apache after three minutes on the replacement.

Again, this doesn't say everything, but to my eyes it, and the feel of the hone (it feels a TON softer than the original, which honestly felt almost exactly like my agate), and the feedback during the honing is very promising.

More to come.

Attachments

• $apache.jpg
    $apache.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 153
It may not be old or German, but so far my Apache has not disappointed me.

I've never bought a stone based on pix of swarf or bevels.

Hmm, I tried mine earlier today and mine seems to be much the same as Ian's first stone. I tried it on my finish testing piece on water, soapy water and oil and got literally either no or barely any cutting at all. I ran 300 laps and when I wiped the stone with a clean white cloth it came away with no swarf at all - cloth was still pure white. I then tried it on a razor using 3 layers of tape (original hone was on one) and saw no change at all in the edge under a 30x scope. I'm disappointed to say the least.

I can say that the beading is almost certainly oil related - my stone had it when it arrived and after I tried the hone testing I gave it a 30 second acetone wipe and the water then immediately flowed across the entire surface of the stone. The acetone had no other/adverse effect on the stone either, for anyone who was worried about that.

Last edited:
I would lap it a little with a dia plate to remove the glazing if there is any. I have 2 and they both cut very nicely. These are all different so I cant speak for yours.

I did actually try that later too and it made no difference. I actually noted that the surface appeared to be polished by the steel as well. I lapped it with a 400 Atoma using a cross-hatch pattern hoping that would get it cutting - instead after a whole lot of laps again I could just more clearly see the cross-hatch pattern since the tops of the peaks got polished shiny by the steel rubbing and the scratches were low points clearly showing (almost highlighting) the cross-hatch pattern.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents, since the vendor of this items find himself unable to stay out of the thread despite a warning, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom