What's new

Apache Red

Terry sent me the AR to play around with last week. This particular stone falls somewhere in the 8-10K grit range and like the AS has very nice feedback. Unlike the AS the slurry stone produced light slurry rather easily and it added marked cutting power and speed to the AR. The resulting edges were keen and smooth but less aggressive than the AS. The AR can be used as a finisher for straight razors and/or a pre-finisher to the AS for added refinement, they are different animals though and work well individually. I was able to achieve HHT4 before stropping easily. As was the case with the AS, I purchased a AR after I returned the test stone and have no affiliation with naturalhones.com

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice. Can't wait to hear more about these. Are you starting off with slurry and diluting?

Nice. Can't wait to hear more about these. Are you starting off with slurry and diluting?

I tried it both ways on several razors using the same progression I did on the AS. Slurrying and diluting did add a marked level of refinement to the edges, the resulting edges were not as aggressive as the AS but still very comfortable.

Hmm, one post says less aggressive than AS, the following says more. I guess one way he's talking about the shave and one about the cutting speed.

Last edited:
here we go again, just something I have to h.a.d. oh well, back to the rabbit hole see if I lost a few dollars there to fund it. they are beautiful stones and I have to have at least two or three.

I said, "The resulting edges were keen and smooth but less aggressive than the AS" referring to the edges. The AR is more aggressive as far as "grit" for lack of a better term and the edges are less aggressive as far as cutting efficiency. As far as one being "better" than the other the AS and AR was simply different. One is not better than the other, it's like M&Ms with or without peanuts.

So the edges are not as sharp but just as smooth or smoother? I'm just trying to get a grip on what your description is really saying when compared to the other Apache stone.

You've essentially said both stones produce keen and smooth edges but the AR is less aggressive, so to me that means less sharp?

You've essentially said both stones produce keen and smooth edges but the AR is less aggressive, so to me that means less sharp?

Less aggressive may mean less sharp to you, to me it means a different level of refinement.​

Top Bottom