What's new

AP Shave razor

M

Member 113878

Yes, Andrew came up with his own cartridge razor!
It’s called the Penny Shaver.
The handle is Gillette Fusion compatible.
The carts have a single blade, and are very affordable!
Got one this week, and it delivered a great smooth shave.

If you already own a Fusion handle, you can just get the carts.

Sole drawback for me is the individual packaging for the carts.

Very interesting. It doesn’t solve my issues with cartridge razors but it’s great to know they exist as an option. I might pick up a few to see if my wife likes them. Thanks for sharing this! 👍

M

Member 113878

Ok, I emailed Andrew and here's his answer:
(I asked his permission for quoting)

Hey Francois,

I didn’t design the connector it was what the factory stocked so I went with it. They seemed to have a patent file too.

Hope that answers things!

Andrew Palombo
AP Shave Co. | Owner
Logo
Email: [email protected]

apshaveco.com
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon
The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

It's very surprising to me that Gillette would let AP Shave sell cartridges that fit a Fusion handle.

AP Shave cartridges are probably made by GIllette,
Good razor, even better if the cartridges are compatible with the Fusion handle.

proxy.php

AP Shave cartridges are probably made by GIllette,
Good razor, even better if the cartridges are compatible with the Fusion handle.

I'm sure someone is making them for AP Shave, and it might be Gillette. But it's still pretty surprising that Gillette would let anyone sell cartridges that fit a Fusion handle and cost a lot less than Fusion cartridges. Generally Gillette shuts that down, even if someone is importing Gillette products intended for a different market.

I'm sure someone is making them for AP Shave, and it might be Gillette. But it's still pretty surprising that Gillette would let anyone sell cartridges that fit a Fusion handle and cost a lot less than Fusion cartridges. Generally Gillette shuts that down, even if someone is importing Gillette products intended for a different market.

Ah yes, I hadn't understood it that way,

Gillette Guard are mostly sold in India, I think,
It's an opportunity for Gillette to conquer new markets,

If AP Shave could convince Gillette to make Mach3 cartridges compatible with the Fusion handle, I'd buy it!

I have some summer airline travel coming up and I have an old fusion handle kicking around somewhere from around 2007 or so, right before I switched to DE, so if I can hunt down its whereabouts I might give these a shot. I usually bring along a TracII or similar when I fly, and based on his interview with Sharpologist, traveling DE/SE users seem to be one group he specifically hand in mind with this.

Two trips completed where I used the AP Penny Shaver razor. It gives a smooth and effective shave, way better and more enjoyable than any cartridge I've used. I highly recommend it! I hope lots of people use this so @apshaveco is successful with it and continues making the penny shaver for us.

NLPost is being my blades to me, quite slowly it seems. My Gillette Protector handle is ready and waiting!!!

My shipment was a bit slow too. Unfortunately it missed the window for the trip I just got back from, but now they are here, so I'll try them when I go back out in a few weeks.

Knowing that they were on the way, on this trip I found the cloggyness of the TracII extra annoying, used with a La Toja stick. I'll be glad to be back to one blade.

When they arrived I was also glad to see that, compared to the photo on the AP shave site where they appear to come in a wasteful single-use condom wrapper-looking thing, they just came loose with a simple and effective blade guard.

Last edited:
If you happen to be in Japan or nearby, there are quite a few Kai disposable offerings with one blade. The Gold-S, Young-T and Beat. Or the Gillette Guard if you are near the subcontinent. The Gillette Superclick may be about too.

Blades came in, but I won’t be able to get them until Monday. Arghhh!

I have used the flex ball handle a few times and feels pretty cool. Looking forward to SE/DE blade on it!

Did a half face shave with the Penny Shave on a Fusion Flexball handle. Very nice shave. The first shave is a little rough (as they indicated). Have to see how it smooths out.

Fortunately for me, unfortunately for AP, my Gillette Superclick head glued to a Fusion Flexball cart worked even better! And I can choose my own blades!

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    888 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    849.9 KB · Views: 36
After a half face shave and a full face shave with the Penny Shaver, I have to say it is still very bitey. I feel Dorco blades can be like that. At them moment, I'm not thrilled with the cart, I will give it another go or two, the fins seem to reinforce the biteyness. It is a pretty good shave I guess, but rather unpleasant. Maybe corking the blade would smooth it out?

I bought 25 of the carts, not sure if I am down for that many or not. My DIY custom Super Click head glued to a Proglide Flexball cart is giving me significantly better and smoother shaves.

I find it pretty smooth. Have you tried putting a bit of pressure on the top of the cartridge and engaging the pivot to its center point? That works for me.

I also take longer strokes than I would with a DE.

Top Bottom