What's new

AP shave Co's new high-end premium SHDs

Has anybody tried either of them yet? (There are two variations) They're supposed to be able to go toe to toe with the Muhle/EJ STF, which is a bold statement, but because they're a bit pricey I'd love a review or any opinions/observations from anybody that may have already acquired one despite them having only recently become available? What do you think, fellas? I'm boosting the relevant information on both knots below this text.

- Natural-looking synthetic fibers imported from Germany

- The hair on the G5A is very similar to that of other big name high end synthetic knots. For reference, it’s most similar to the Omega EVO, and similar to the Simpsons Platium Grade synthetic.

- This knot has been packed with SHD density to make it the denest possible knot for it’s size (20% more hair).

- Excellent backbone. This German hair uses a wavy style hair to clump the tips and gives it more backbone while still retaining that amazing synthetic softness. It’s a truly luxurious experience with this knot.

- Very soft tips (approx. very soft to above average softness compared to other synthetics)

- A common problem with the G4 knots you’ve seen on the market is that they tend to tangle in the center after use. This problem does not occur in the G5A hair!

- It retains water in a more efficient manner than traditional synthetics.

NOTE: These knots contain and inherently shorter height (approx. 65mm) compared to other synthetics (68mm). Keep this in mind when setting the knot, you'll need a slightly more shallow hole!

Base Diameter: 24mm, 26mm and 28mm being $26, $30 and $33 respectively.

28mm-g5a_720x.jpg

The G5B features the following:

- All Black Hair Fibers imported from Germany

- EXCELLENT backbone. The stiffer German hair gives you backbone more similar to natural hair than nearly any synthetic.

- Soft tips (approx. average softness compared to other synthetics), scrubby base

- Ultra quick drying. Shake dry or dry with a towel and it's dry in less than half the time of a normal synthetic knot

- Antibacterial Hair - an antibacterial coating is applied to the hair. This makes it safer to store in smaller places with less air, such as a dopp kit. This, combined with it's quick drying properties make it an excellent knot for travel.

Base Diameter: 24mm, 26mm and 28mm being $16, $19 and $24 respectively.

28mm_720x.jpg

Last edited:
I’m curious about this too. I have a couple of questions:

Is the G5 the same one for sale at Maggards and Heritage Collection Shaving?
I picked up a new brush from HCS and really like the knot quite a bit. I was afraid it would be like the knot in ShaveMac synths and my Alpha Co handles. I don’t care for those knots much.

The G5B looks like the WCS Abyss knot (one of my favorites). Does anyone know if these the same knot?

I’m curious about this too. I have a couple of questions:

Is the G5 the same one for sale at Maggards and Heritage Collection Shaving?
I picked up a new brush from HCS and really like the knot quite a bit. I was afraid it would be like the knot in ShaveMac synths and my Alpha Co handles. I don’t care for those knots much.

The G5B looks like the WCS Abyss knot (one of my favorites). Does anyone know if these the same knot?
I asked Andrew from AP shave Co the following...

"Are the G5A and G5B related in any way to other G5s like, for example, the Frank Shaving G5? Or are they entirely different and just happen to all have "G5" in the title?"

His response...

"Whats makes the G5 name in my offering that both knots have hair sourced from Germany that comes at a premium. While i’d like to be able to compare it to other G5s for you I unfortunately don’t have much information on knots from other vendors.*

I think G5, as the Frank Shaving G5, is equivalent to the G5B from AP. I have a FS G5 and it doesn't have waved fibers like the STF does that the G5A also has. The description on the site also seems to align with this.

So I'm pretty that FS G5 = AP shave Co G5B while the Maggard G5 synthetic = AP shave Co G5A

Top Bottom