What's new

AP Shave brushes opinions & options

Hi Gents,

I'm looking for a new synthetic 24mm brush and got some recommendations on AP shave I'm
Currently looking at this 24mm knot synbad with the emerald handle so if there's gents in here which have this brush or a similar AP shave let me know what you think about it
Thx in advance

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For $21?

1606822082580.gif

I have 28mm synbad and I was surprised by it's pretty high backbone. I like softer brushes, so I had to re-set the knot from 54mm loft to 58 mm because it was way too stiff for me. Tips are very soft, so no scritch (and I like it like that).

I have the synbad. But I prefer the 2bed. Synbad is plusher if you like that. Both are good brushes. Purely personal preference.

I have the same handle w/ a 24mm cashmere knot and love it. Handle has nice substance, ergonomics, and looks imo. My hands are L or XL for gloves.

FWIW, the cashmere knot is super soft but I have no problems lathering a soap like MdC Vetyver on my face.

I have 6 brushes, all synthetic, and 4 of those are SynBads. I love the knot!. I agree that the 28mm knot that I bought, which is in the purple and green "Summer" handle, is set too deep (?) making it stiffer than the rest. The others are all mounted in the white faux marble, and are the 24mm, 26mm, and 30mm. I so enjoy the softness and feel of the 26mm and the 30mm that they are used the most.

I've got two fan knots fro AP: 26mm cashmere and 24mm 2BED.

The cashmere is wonderfully soft but 26mm was too big for my taste so I trimmed it down. Some might find it floppy but it works very well for face lathering.

The 24mm 2BED fan is a perfect size for me. Easily holds enough lather for three passes. The tips of the 2BED are just as soft as the cashmere but the brush has a little more backbone. Only a little: it's certainly not stiff.

Some of the best synthetics you can buy at a great price.

I have 28mm synbad and I was surprised by it's pretty high backbone. I like softer brushes, so I had to re-set the knot from 54mm loft to 58 mm because it was way too stiff for me. Tips are very soft, so no scritch (and I like it like that).
Did you have to go anything special to get the knot out undamaged? I have a synbad and 2bed on the way and may not love the default loft settings

Did you have to go anything special to get the knot out undamaged? I have a synbad and 2bed on the way and may not love the default loft settings
No, Andrew (AP Shave) use silicone to set knots so it's fairly easy to get the knot out. You just pull it out with little force 😉

My go-to brush now is an AP Shave Co synthetic tuxedo with a faux marble handle. As for the size, I have forgotten and would look on their site to see the brush that matched mine. Now, they still offer the tuxedo in 24mm, so I guess that's the size of mine, but they no longer seem to have the marble.

Anyway: Soft and smooth, it's a great face-lather brush. I no longer have to soak the brush while I'm showering. A quick dunk in the shave water in the sink, a squeeze to get most of the water out, and I'm ready to go.

Top Bottom