What's new

Aotearoa (NZ) Pass-around

Sounds like you are going to have fun, which is the whole point of the box :)
Replace the packaging if you wish.
The Rhodia pad is great paper for fountain pens .. so now you have pens, ink and paper :)
Please let me know what you think of the slant as it's someting I'm very curious about, the first guy on the list Ian, has made a slant his go to razor :)

I'm pleased people are enjoying the soaps and the slant I put in there. My nose is very selective about soap so I was happy to have a good way to pass on the tubs.
Thanks to @Uncle Brian for keeping this going.

Dear Gentlepeople,

After a month of exploration, I am done with the box (obviously kidding, there's at least another month worth of fun in that box I just don't want to hog it any longer).

First of all, I would like to thank everybody who helped this box happen, organising or contributing to the content, giving me the opportunity to try things I would or could not try without it.

Long story short:
- after careful consideration I did not keep the slant, used it three-four times and the jury is still out, and although I think that's a very good quality razor, I rather give the chance to somebody else to fell in love with it. I kept one of the old Gillette ones I found very nice (still plenty more in the box). The Futur, - which was on my shopping list - came off, it's bulkiness takes away the positives for me.

- went through 11 soaps and creams, only one was disappointing, the stars of the show were the La Toja cream and the RasoZero agrumella soap, loved them both at first try. Also great surprise was the "I think this is Cella" soap, that experience went straight to my nostalgy glands. La Toja went to my shopping list and I put one of my soap in the box I hope you'll like it.

- I managed to try (and keep) some of the blades I've never came across before, I'll still need several months to test them all, the blade selection in the box is fantastic. Also added a handful of blades that were not present in the box. 7'Oclock went to my shopping list, for some reason they work even better on my face than Nacets.

- fountain pens and ink : that was nostalgic and fun, the whole family spent time with the pens, practicing calligraphy, I was on the fence with those as the inks are so beautiful, but practicality won and I put everything back. I suggest you give them a try, it's fun, they transfer you to a different world immediately. (and I'm sure fountain pens and inks are just another rabbit hole...)

- hibiscus tea is awesome, I showed great restraint and did not use all of it, (shopping list expanded, tho) but never had the courage to jump into the yerba mate... my south american friend laughed me so hard when I told her, but I still believe you need extensive practice from young age for that one

I made notes during the month, the month the family won't forget, as I was attacking them constantly with a "how do you like this scent, hm?" questions, so if you are interested, I'll be happy to share some erm, edited version of them.

Please PM me the next recipient's details so the next one can have fun.

Love you all and you can't do anything about it!

The box crate arrived today, safe and sound! It's like opening the Tardis... :)

It is all a bit overwhelming at the moment, so I am just going to focus on the simple things. As a member of B.O.S.S, I'm desperate to try the FOCS, so I'll reluctantly break my commitment to FFFMM to give that at least a couple of shaves. I've heard nothing but good thngs about it, so am quite excited to see how it performs.

I'm pretty settled (read, staid) in my soap and blade choices so I don't see much experimentation there. And fortunately, I have already been down the foutain pen and ink rabbit hole, so I'm all good there.

I have some things I'll add: a sleeve of fake Polsilvers (every tuck is marked with a red 'F' to remove any doubt), and some frags that the better half has given the thumbs down to.

This is all a roundabout way of saying that I'll aim to have it on the way to the next recipient sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'll post back with a review of the FOCS, and any of the other items that I take out for a spin.

Thanks @Gabor for getting it down here, @Uncle Brian for masterminding the operation, and everyone who has contributed. Ka pai! :D

The travelling shave stuff 40' container

Uncle Brian - Tauranga
Ian_pop - Tauranga
JaggardJ - Wellington
Grue - New Plymouth
Gabor - Auckland
silverlifter - Wellington
Odax Pullus - Wellington

Anyone else that wants to play is welcome to add their name, don't be shy it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:
The travelling box of shave stuff delights

Uncle Brian - Tauranga
Ian_pop - Tauranga
JaggardJ - Wellington
Grue - New Plymouth
Gabor - Auckland
silverlifter - Wellington
Odax Pullus - Wellington
Uncle Brian - Tauranga

Anyone else that wants to play is welcome to add their name, don't be shy it's a lot of fun. I promise that in the next round the box will be small enough that you don't need a forklift to unload it from the courier van.

Thanks silverlifter.

I had a go with the Muhle brush and Blackship soap this afternoon. Liked the softness and spring in the Muhle, impressive for a synthetic. The Blackship was nice too, very fruity scent and i found the hops underneath. Nice performance and ingredients.

Box is huge. Lots to try. The CSRW Olivia tub is highly unlikely to make it to the next recipient. Love their stuff and i haven't bought any new soaps since before covid.

So my time with the box has finished. Enjoyed it a lot.

Stand outs:

The Fat Tip slant which i got a pretty easy smooth shave out of.

The Triumph and Disaster cream which lived up to its name when i triumphantly put it back in its box after it was a disaster of a lather.

The Ariana and Evans Peach and Cognac scent seemed like a good idea but reminded me of teenage hangovers.. not in a good way.

The pens again were nice. I actually ordered something based on what i tried in the box... so thanks for activating another rabbit hole hobby. Fingers crossed this one doesn't end up like my soap collection with 17 years worth of supplies on hand :D

The scents were nice.

Hibiscus tea was delicious.

I kept a couple of things and added a couple.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I grabbed a tuck of the Polsilver stainless blades from the last rotation and finally got around to trying them out. They are really, really smooth. Looking forward to finding time to try more things when the crate does it's next circuit.

The box has arrived at my place and it would seem that some interesting things have happened during its travels, it's always interesting to see what has been removed and added. There are a few soaps i will try soon and the slant looks lovely. Some stuff needs to be removed as it has been in there for a while or it could be considered a hazard to your health and wellbeing, yes Arko i'm talking about you.
If anyone has any extra comments on the box please feel free to pm me or add it to this thead :)

Hi guys,

It's that time again so if you are interested in another round of the BOX please write you names below. I plan to take names until the end of January 2023 and post it off in the first few days of February.

Same old rules
1 It's yours for 3-4 weeks
2 Take out something you like
3 Add something nice

Cheers

Uncle Brian - Katikati

ALL NEW IMPROVED 2023 BOX
Same old rules
3 Add something nice

Uncle Brian - Katikati
Silverlifter - Wellington

Hi guys,

It's that time again so if you are interested in another round of the BOX please write you names below. I plan to take names until the end of January 2023 and post it off in the first few days of February.

Same old rules
3 Add something nice

Cheers

Uncle Brian - Katikati
Hi guys,

Same old rules
3 Add something nice

Cheers

Uncle Brian - Katikati
Gnasher40 North Canterbury

ALL NEW IMPROVED 2023 BOX
Same old rules
3 Add something nice