What's new

Aotearoa (NZ) Pass-around

The box has arrived safely at my place :)

I have all the stuff spread out over the kitchen table and at first glance I'm amazed by what is in there. I will be trying out a few things that I have always wanted to get but never did ... going to be lots of shaving done around here over the next week. Maybe twice a day!

Heh, I know what you mean! I think I only managed to try about 10% of what's there. (and with being first I didn't want to be responsible for opening all the new goodies!)

I have tried out quite a few things and I don't think I will do the box completely before my time is up. So many things to try and as we all know it takes a while before you know if a product is right for you. I do have a few to try again and a few to put back in the box as they didn't seem to perform to my expectations ... as for the Cella it smells like Xmas cake and I love Xmas cake! The Omega brush could whip up a great lather from anything but it is huge and kind of weird in a good sort of way.

This box is way better than every other box, you guys are in for a treat.

Since this is the most Kiwi shavers I have seen in one (metaphorical) room, we should probably introduce ourselves to each other properly, right? :D

I'll start.

I'm Jarrod, from the North Shore - soon to be moving to the Hibiscus coast. Got a couple of kids, a 4 year old and soon to be 2 year old. Both keep me busy. I'm a Software Engineer as a my day job and shaving is my escape.

Okay your turn.

Im Michael from Hamilton.
Im a Fitter Turner by trade but currently working for the University of Waikato as an engineering technician.
I have four step sons with my partner of 12 years.
Im into XFIT at the moment and i'm getting my arse kicked by girls who are fitter than I am........
I enjoy striving to achieve that perfect shave and the time out that shaving gives me.

I tried the Institut Karite Soap this morning and what a wonderful lather and a great shave. This might become my favorite soap until at least tomorrow when I try something else!

Unlike Jarrod I don't mind opening all the packages first and have been having a wonderful time in the shave den lathering up soaps and generally making a mess, the only thing that might not cope is my face which is starting to feel a little tender from all that shaving.

My name really is Brian and no I'm not your Uncle and that Monty Python movie is not about me ... honest. I'm 57 and have been shaving the old fashioned way since way back when it was the only way to shave. I remember my first Tech and I also remember I had no idea about face preparation. Lots of little bits of tissue paper on the face. Guess I have used almost every type of razor and I have a few favorites; my Gillette C-1 Super Speed mainly as its my birth razor and of course the much hated and cursed Mach3. That's the Gillette one not the one that Kawasaki made.

;-)

Unlike Jarrod I don't mind opening all the packages first and have been having a wonderful time in the shave den lathering up soaps and generally making a mess, the only thing that might not cope is my face which is starting to feel a little tender from all that shaving.

Go for gold.
Haha, I was shaving twice a day as well until I tried the GEM... then I couldn't shave for 2 days.

I'm 57 and have been shaving the old fashioned way since way back when it was the only way to shave. I remember my first Tech and I also remember I had no idea about face preparation.
;-)

You must have one hell of a collection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jarrod,

Actually I don't collect razors any more and I'm trying to be a minimalist so one or two razors and a few soaps. The trouble with having too much stuff is I never seem to learn just how good some soaps and razors can be. It took a month of using my GEM 1912 before understood just how good it was, I have tried the Micromatic in the box and my face hated me for the rest of the morning. With time and patience I think it's a great razor but the box will be on it's way again soon and I won't take anything unless I'm sure I will use it.
The Institut Karite might be the thing I do take as it was wonderful to shave with. Going to use it again in the morning to see if I like it enough to make it my go to soap for a few weeks or however long the puck lasts. I have found them for sale at BullGoose for $13.50 US a puck and not a bad price if the soap continues to impress me the way it did this morning. I used my 25mm Synthetic brush to build the lather and it was easy as, needs plenty of water buy not hard to figure out.

Brian

ps I would change my user name but around here bad things can happen when you ask :)

Hey guys :D

Many of you know me already, i reckon us Kiwis are standout guys, ive had many dealings with you already...but....

Im Nick (36), im a cheese maker from Dunedin, but have moved to the south Canterbury region (Timaru) for my job - i work for Fonterra (Boooooo) I have 2 kids, Kaiya (5) and Jacoby (10mnths) have been wet shaving for about 3 years and am doing the MINIMIZING phase just now, have sold many of my razors and many of my brushes, i still love this as a hobby though.

Brian - I was lucky enough to get my username changed, they let it slip - guess i was lucky :D

Nick - One of the guys on here asked if he could change his name to "something better" but neglected to tell us all what he wanted his new name to be, those in charge changed his name to ... you guessed it ... something better. Not what he had planned I'm sure.

Going back to Cella this morning as I love the smell, almost enough to eat the stuff. I have been looking at the price of 1kg blocks which is never a bad thing. Face is still a little tender so will be taking it easy.

Overall this box is way better than I could have expected and you are all in for a real thrill. I hope we can keep it going and built a nice little shave community. I have added an injector razor and some blades to the box but still have no idea what to take out; too many choices ;D

Cella is great stuff - took me ages to finally try it, the almond scent grows on you, definitely smells better than the artificial almond like TOBS version - all Italian shaving soap is amazing :)

The lather, shave and the smell were all wonderful this morning and I was careful to seal the lid so none of that great smell could escape. I love the smell of the soap and can still smell it on my face after a few hours which is ok. Skin feels good too despite being attacked by the Super Speed G-1 yet again.

Will be trying Mitchells Wool Fat tomorrow as I have heard so many good things about the post shave results, soft skin and all that. No sheep jokes please :). I have also heard it lasts a long time which is nice as the stuff isn't cheap but then what good soap is by the time it reaches NZ.

What ever I decide to keep it's definitely time to go on a soap buying mission. I like the local folks FineShave and Bluebeard on TM, I also like Connaught Shaving in the UK. Anyone have any great sites to buy shave stuff? Postage is the killer, it' a bugger being at the bottom of the world sometimes.

Last edited:
The majority of my purchases have been from connaught and shaving.ie, especially if you are buying a few items, aftershaves have always been my favourite part of shaving and also the hardest to obtain - untill smelllikeaman.co.nz came on the scene :D

The majority of my purchases have been from connaught and shaving.ie, especially if you are buying a few items, aftershaves have always been my favourite part of shaving and also the hardest to obtain - untill smelllikeaman.co.nz came on the scene :D

Haha, thanks for the plug, Nick. If any of you guys want anything, PM/ email me first and I'll hook you up with a discount.

Haha, thanks for the plug, Nick. If any of you guys want anything, PM/ email me first and I'll hook you up with a discount.

The lather, shave and the smell were all wonderful this morning and I was careful to seal the lid so none of that great smell could escape. I love the smell of the soap and can still smell it on my face after a few hours which is ok. Skin feels good too despite being attacked by the Super Speed G-1 yet again.

Will be trying Mitchells Wool Fat tomorrow as I have heard so many good things about the post shave results, soft skin and all that. No sheep jokes please :). I have also heard it lasts a long time which is nice as the stuff isn't cheap but then what good soap is by the time it reaches NZ.

What ever I decide to keep it's definitely time to go on a soap buying mission. I like the local folks FineShave and Bluebeard on TM, I also like Connaught Shaving in the UK. Anyone have any great sites to buy shave stuff? Postage is the killer, it' a bugger being at the bottom of the world sometimes.

Fantastic that you're having fun with the box! It's a great selection of stuff, thanks to our generous contributors.

I have bought from shaving.ie, which has cheap postage, gifts and care, italian barber, and directly from soap makers in the USA: Mystic Waters is probably my favourite of those to date. But Frank at Fineshave has a great selection of high quality soaps and creams.

Perhaps we could organise group orders to save on postage etc.

If there is going to be a group buy to save on postage and get those absolutely essential shaving items I'M IN

The box is wonderful and I reckon it would take a full year of dedicated shaving to get to grips with all of that yummy stuff. At best it's just a chance to try before you buy and oh boy is there going to be some buying done now ;)

MWF lived up to its reputation this morning for an excellent post shave feel and it's not that hard to lather even with a soft synthetic brush.

I would try to summarize my feelings on the soaps and their performance but all I can come up with is "wow this looks good" and "oh I always wanted to try that" and of course there was Cella " Oh wow that smells nice"

Sunday Night Edit: Box will be posted to the next lucky pixie on Monday 4th with all the goodies apart from a few razor blades still in the box. I have decided not to keep anything as I don't want your experience with the box to be any less than mine. Really wanted to keep the Cella, that stuff smells so nice and the shave is so good. What I have done is order 1kg from a fellow in Dublin. www.shaving.ie

Grazie a tutti per questa meravigliosa esperienza, (Thank you all for this wonderful experience)

Brian

Last edited:
Top Bottom