What's new

AOS Starter Brush or New Brush?

I am headed to NYC today and will be checking out a few shops there that specialize in shaving brushes.... I currently use the AOS starter brush (geniune badger hair/not real)...

Now I've read a quality brush will get you more than 2 passes, I am struggling to get 2 passes and I am dropping about a dime size amount of AOS Shaving cream. Should I purchase a new one such as Tweezerman or keep utilizing the AOS starter brush until it looses more bristles? I really do not want to spend more than $30 for a brush.

I have this same brush. It is no Plisson, but its not a bad brush by any means. In fact, its my daily workhorse. I think the tweezerman may actually be a step down, so I would just keep using the AOS brush while you can. In you long run you will be better off saving your money till you can get a better one in the $40-50 range. This is, of course, just my opinion on the issue

I have this same brush. It is no Plisson, but its not a bad brush by any means. In fact, its my daily workhorse. I think the tweezerman may actually be a step down, so I would just keep using the AOS brush while you can. In you long run you will be better off saving your money till you can get a better one in the $40-50 range. This is, of course, just my opinion on the issue

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I heard mixed reviews since its not authentic badger. But wasn't sure if other brushes in that price range are much better. I personally think the stater set is a good deal.

If you are referring to the one in the $100 starter kit, it is real badger. It isn't silvertip or premium badger, but it is badger. The retail price for that brush is $55, which is way overpriced. Much better brushes can be had for $40-60. But I think at $30 and below you arent going to be able to find much. Target has a Shea Moisture pure black badger brush for $9. Not a bad brush if you have trouble with the AOS one. But as I said, I would just save up for now.

If you are talking about the one in the $25 kit, then ignore what I've said and go to target for the $9 brush

Check out Parkers silvertip badger with the wood handle. I am very happy with this brush from amazon, soft, soaks up a lot of water and has a large knot. Use it everyday

A dime sized dollop of cream sounds a bit skimpy, especially if you're trying to do more than 2 passes. I always used about twice that much when I was using creams.

There are 3 kits.. "starter" - "carry on" and the $100 "elements" shave.

The starter has a tiny brush. I got the "carry on" which has a "genuine badger" and it's about the size of my Burma shave brush, ie, normal size. I like it so far, a bit prickly, but hopefully that will change.

Splurge for $25 and get one of the best brushes boar has to offer- Semogue 1305. Then when you have a better idea of what you may want, spend $100-ish on a top badger brush. Read up and spend wisely, that's the fun part.

I'll stick with mine for now. It seems to be okay. I really do want to purchase a real badger brush but at the moment its not necessary.

Top Bottom