What's new

AOS shaving cream is "thick" and hard to whip into lather

Howdy all, I had a $20 gift card to AOS last year (June 2011) and "splurged" to get a tub of their Sandalwood shaving cream. It's very nice, and normally whips up easily, almost without a thought (I build lather in a large latte cup). It's by far the most expensive cream I have (Bigelow/Proraso, Body Shop Maca Root, KMF, Real Shaving Co., etc.), so I use it rarely, like once a week at most.

I've noticed for a few months that it's become harder to build lather with it. I use a wood tongue depressor from the doctor's office to get an almond sized 'snurdle' of cream out of the tub, and when I mix, some of it whips into cream, but a good-sized portion of the 'snurdle' doesn't whip up, it just gets spun around in the bowl. Sometimes I'll smush that chuck my thumb to try to get it to mix up, and then some of it does, but often there's still parts of the cream that doesn't whip up.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to make this easier? It's getting to the point where it's almost too much of a hassle to use this!

Thanks for any replies!

Place the snurdle of cream in the cup and add a splash of water to it, by the time your shower is done it will be soft. A teaspoon of water in the tub is not a bad idea either.

Place the snurdle of cream in the cup and add a splash of water to it, by the time your shower is done it will be soft. A teaspoon of water in the tub is not a bad idea either.

+1 It sounds like it's evaporating some of it's water content, needs some extra hydration added back in.

Send it my way for proper disposal. Jim's advice about a little water to both your latte cup and bowl is on the money. I also find AoS Sandalwood a little harder than Trumper's to lather.

Same issue here; I just swirl extra hard in a bowl and it still makes great lather. Face lathering didn't work too well though, as the chunk of unlathered cream kept flinging around.

I'll try adding a teaspoon of water to the tub and letting it sit, then stirring before my next use.

The AOS sandalwood I got from amazon was a little hardened as well. I load from the tub and can whip up some lather with that pretty easily.

I had a tub that was a bit too hard at first. Since I load directly in the tub, the left over wetness from my brush softens, or keeps soft, the cream for the next use.

I used AOS Lemon essential oil cream today. It does takes a bit longer to face lather than my regular creams do.
Regards,
Renato

Your thinking too hard on this one - No tongue depressers needed. Load the brush directly in the bowl and enjoy your shave.

Amen!! And as far as getting hard....The idea is to USE the cream...not hoard it! I use mine almost daily and never have hit any "hard spots" in it ever

dont be afraid to add water as you go. I never have the right amount of water at first. I err on the side of dryness... then add as I go. After awhile you get the hang of whats good and whats not as you swirl your brush around and feel the resistance of the soap. Too resistant.. add more water... less resistant - you may be in for a razor burn fiesta. Learn by sight and by feel, not by measuring - it will serve you well in the long run.

Top Bottom